Not enough for a flightline

So I've been out on three occasions to three different spots in 600 Acre....main fields are rape, wheat (I think) and linseed. Now I know the linseed isn't going to give much shooting but the rape & wheat (I think) should give good sport surely. It's all new to me so still learning. I've told myself not to think too much about the first few visits and use it more for learning the land. Few small groups of trees around and hedge lines separating the fields and I've tried to look for flight lines but in all honesty I've only seen odd pigeons dotted around and really nothing to give me a good indication of where they are flying from and too.....suppose I'll just need to keep watching. I guess it may change come harvest time. I'm shooting in Cotham/Elston on the SW side of Newark towards Nottingham

It might be you will never see one, it depends on how far or where the birds are roosting in relation to your land, all my land (430 acres) has pigeons but they seem to roost and sit in the immediate area, in two years I've never seen a strong flightline, just keep watching! I live in hope!

I have 6 plastic shells(which are really ****), 10 flocked shells, 2 full bodied flocked and one bouncer....no magnet yet but will hopefully get one in next few weeks

Plastic shells are fine mate, I always use 10, 5 full bodied, flapoer and a magnet- that might be where your problem lies.... my first 5 to 10 outings without a magnet were pretty poor, bouncers didn't help much either. Bought a magnet and a flapper - diffence was unbelievable.

They'll do you fine, don't over complicate things with magnets till you've decoyed a few with your shells and Sussed out patterns and hide positions, that's all part of the fun, it's a great feeling when you get birds to decoy to your pattern for the first time, good luck!

Decoying pigeons is not some dark art - it is really pretty simple. Find where pigeons are feeding or flying over, and that is half the battle.

Don't worry about patterns too much, as this stuff is just minor detail.

My theory on feeding at this time of year is that they choose to feed when it's cooler , first light and evening, you will also have a shift change on the eggs. If you shoot first light you will spook them off the field for the day, late afternoon and evening they will return.

I use to use plastics for convenience and they work but replace them with real birds when you can. I've said this before the only way to understand pigeons is to watch them all the time, in the park , garden and when your dragged out shopping. Birds doing the mating dive will decoy, landing birds will not usually overfly feeding birds so leave room and put your angels at the front of the pattern etc. Watch and learn that's the way forward and after nearly thirty years of decoying I'm still doing it.

Good luck on your wheat and Rape and possibly linseed as it ripens.

Possibly why I ended up with zero at the weekend as it was that hot to say the least. Is it true that power lines and telegraph wires are a natural attraction for them. Driving into the farm I drive up a track about 1/2 mile with telegraph wires running then length of it with wheat one side and linseed the other. It has 3 or 4 smallish bushes along it. I seem to see more pigeons hanging about the lane driving in and out and sat on the wires than anywhere else. Not huge amounts normally but some none the less

I don't think power lines attract pigeons - they just happen to sit on them, especially when over a crop they are feeding on.

Pigeons will most definitely still feed when it is very hot. Let no one tell you otherwise.

The more you watch, the more you will learn the habits of pigeons. Treat every outing as a learning experience.