Fac air rifle

Michael Scotland

I am going to apply for a veriation on my fac for a air rifle could you advise me please. On wether to go for a .22 or 2.5 and your reason for your choice . I think a make or model would help me thank you in advance Michael

Id go for the 2.5 mate ,superior stopping power, bit of a loopy trajectory though ! :oops:

Your choice largely depends on what you want to do with it ??

If your going for land based rabbits and have a large field and safe back stops and need to shoot over long ranges like 75 yds .then a .25 at 45 fpe is great (not a loopy trajectory )

But if you want to take elevated shots ,then a .25 is off the cards (too much power and unsafe fall out )

A .22 would be a better choice but even an 18 grn .22 can carry a lot of extra energy and be a risk again for elevated shots .a lighter 13 -15 grn .22 pellet will help reduce that risk .

A .177 fac is a far safer prospect and requires no more extra consideration for elevated shots than does a sub 12 .

So really you choice is very dependant on your quarry and location .

Ps get .177 .22 and .25 and have the best of all worlds

I did

To be fair .if i could only chose 1 .it would be the .22 at 25 fpe

If only have 2 guns it would be .177 at 16 fpe and .25 at 45 fpe

I've just got a slot for a .25 FAC Air.

This gun looks impressive: The FX Crown : http://hardairmagazine.com/news/iwa-2017-day-one-new-fx-crown-air-rifle-announced/

I have just written to ASI the importer in the UK to find out when it will be available here.

These posts might be of interest to you:

https://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/354093-25-fac-air-rifle/

and

https://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/356793-22-or-25-fac/

I have a .22 ultra that does 30 shots at 24 fpe .not too shabby for a very small and light gun .

Ps non of my facs have bottles .

That's brilliant good on you.

Honestly the internet has come as a shock to me there people out there who think different things to me.

WEIRD!

I have a .25 cal Daystate Air Ranger running at around 44-46 ft/lb's. I love it. Great bit of kit. Not 'loopy' regards trajectory at all. And crikey does a .25 pellet hit hard. I shoot into tree's regularly, just depends on how steep an angle you're shooting and knowing the land you're on for back stops.

Not sure how many shots i get per fill, but I've never been short of air, so enough for what i need it for.

atb

James

I have a .25 cal Daystate Air Ranger running at around 44-46 ft/lb's. I love it. Great bit of kit. Not 'loopy' regards trajectory at all. And crikey does a .25 pellet hit hard. I shoot into tree's regularly, just depends on how steep an angle you're shooting and knowing the land you're on for back stops.

Not sure how many shots i get per fill, but I've never been short of air, so enough for what i need it for.

atb

James

But noisy as 177HMR though right?

A 25.4 grn .jsb king runs at around 890 fps for 45 fpe .

A .17 hmr .runs at around 2600 fps for about 250 fpe .

One is sub sonic and hence can be very easily quietened down with a good silencer .

The other is running at about mach 2.5 so very super sonic and hence a silencer will do little to reduce the sonic crack the bullet produces out of the gun .

But noisy as 177HMR though right?

Comparing a .25 air rifle to a HMR noise wise is no contest I had a fully shrouded .25 bobcat in FAC and to be honest its was about the same level of noise as a normal moderated air rifle. I would say the noise it more akin to a moderated .22LR

Nowhere near as noisy as a HMR, but yes, thinking about it, it does have a good crack to it, even with a Hugget moderator. So it's a fair point. :good:

Blimey mate that sounds loud. My old Bobcat was really good with the shroud. I did make the mistake of taking it off once to try it which was a mistake as it was a hell of a crack but the shroud made it really quiet and that was without an additional Mod. I had a .25 mod on my ticket and never used it as I never saw the need.

I can only say having owned one that the shroud from FX was highly effective. As I said I took it off once to check an accuracy issue I was having and promptly regretted it. I solid it to Louis who also posts on here from time to time and he can vouch for the quietness of the shot.

I'll have to do a back to back comparison to get a more accurate idea. I may be doing her an injustice, as i may be comparing her to my old sub 12 ft/lb AA S410 which was sold just before i got the Air Ranger. I'm not even sure if mine is 'shrouded' in the full meaning, the outer tube is alloy though, at least up until the steel threaded mod adapter. The seller never mentioned it and i never asked. Must be my age...... :/

I'll get back to you on that one...