.410ing

Tedly47

Hi all haven't been doing a lot of shooting or posting lately due to work commitments, however I have managed to get a couple of hours by sneaking off early and not telling the wife!!

This was about a hour and a half sat in the next door neighbours farm, they have a massive corvid problem however she's fussy about scaring the horse.... Dogs....cats....rabbits... Lambs.... Mice.....etc etc! So to keep her sweet I said I'd tackle the problem with a .410, now I know there are many lovers of the mighty .410 on here and some doubters but I love the challenge of small caliber and with a bit of practice you can soon push the shots out to further than you'd believe possible, every bird in this pic was a clean kill some out to 40 yards and were stone dead in the air.

So I picked my spot along side some silage bails plonked a chair down, parked the jeep next to me and put a few decoys out, the flight line goes across my line of sight so with the bails and jeep either side of me and massive nettles in front I didn't need a hide, it was a nice windy day with the sun behind me, great conditions.

I shot 27 and picked the ones in the pic, some landed behind me in a mass of nettles so I wasn't picking them up...

Not bad outing for the underrated gun....... post-66769-0-19501900-1499722851_thumb.jpeg

Hopefully MrB and I will be back to normal soon and I'll be back with more pics and posts...

All the best Tedly

Nice one. I have not tried those Gamebore, probably the only cartridge I have not tried. Must get a box or two and give them a go. Plastic or fibre ??????

What gun are you shooting there? Looks like a s/s Yildiz.

Put 'em in the pattern and job done :yes::good:

Edited by Walker570

Well done Tedly47, nice to see that you managed to get away from the pressures and enjoy a spontaneous session . The .410 is the right tool for the job in hand and the result satisfying. As a teenager I had a garden gun which I used for ratting at dusk around our chickens and the farm across the road. Thanks for your post.

Nice one. I have not tried those Gamebore, probably the only cartridge I have not tried. Must get a box or two and give them a go. Plastic or fibre ??????

What gun are you shooting there? Looks like a s/s Yildiz.

Put 'em in the pattern and job done :yes::good:

Thanks, yes it is a yildiz sxs multi with 1/4 and full chokes, it's switchable so I can change if the bird is a bit far out, cracking full size .410 for the money, I picked this one as the wood is particularly nice, shot it on the high bird towers at NWSS and it was knocking the clays out of the sky just like my 725...

Carts are plastic

Cheers Tedly

Thanks, yes it is a yildiz sxs multi with 1/4 and full chokes, it's switchable so I can change if the bird is a bit far out, cracking full size .410 for the money, I picked this one as the wood is particularly nice, shot it on the high bird towers at NWSS and it was knocking the clays out of the sky just like my 725...

Carts are plastic

Cheers Tedly

Interesting thread this, I really need to use my .410 more often. Genuine question - would you really notice the difference between 1/4 and full choke with a .410 at the ranges we are talking about?

I don't push the range past 25 yards tbh but I'm only using 12.5g 7's...

Interesting thread this, I really need to use my .410 more often. Genuine question - would you really notice the difference between 1/4 and full choke with a .410 at the ranges we are talking about?

Firstly what cartridges are you using and are you sure THEY are producing the best patterns for you. Check on a sheet of cardboard or ply at a measured 35yrds. They do differ, believe me.

The 410 will kill out to 40yrds IF you have a proficient cartridge throwing best patterns for your gun. 12.5grms of 7s may be on the light side. The #7s fine, just up the load to 16 better still 18grms and this will improve the density of your pattern.

Whatever calibre/gauge/cartridge, you have to do your bit of course.

My main cartridge/shot size these days is the Fiocchi 18grms #8 (2.3mm) which has proven to be excellent in my shotgun, however I am at this moment loading some felt wad loads with 19grms of UK #7s and in MY gun they are laying out some very encouraging patterns and penetration results. This is a load listed by Folkestone Engineering.

Well done Tedly, you certainly shoot well with the .410 - as you do with all your other shotguns.

And I believe you may of mentioned to me the 70 yard pheasants, and ninety yard crow you shot!

Yes but they were with the 12 with The right carts... you can take the **** as much as you want but you saw the crow drop at 99 yards with your own eyes.....

Anyway don't you answer your phone anymore.....!

Edited by Tedly47

Thanks for the reply, I believe it does make a small difference, the .410 is tightly choked anyway and when I'm using it I put the decoys a lot closer so I do get birds coming in very close, the 1/4 choke is for them.... I have tried the 1/4 choke at distance but it hasn't worked I find that I have to take a second shot to drop them...

I would and have used fiocchi 18g before and find them the best .410 cart however they're £2.50 a box more expensive than the deal I get with the 16g gamebore so I'll stick with them....

Cheers Tedly

Firstly what cartridges are you using and are you sure THEY are producing the best patterns for you. Check on a sheet of cardboard or ply at a measured 35yrds. They do differ, believe me.

The 410 will kill out to 40yrds IF you have a proficient cartridge throwing best patterns for your gun. 12.5grms of 7s may be on the light side. The #7s fine, just up the load to 16 better still 18grms and this will improve the density of your pattern.

Whatever calibre/gauge/cartridge, you have to do your bit of course.

My main cartridge/shot size these days is the Fiocchi 18grms #8 (2.3mm) which has proven to be excellent in my shotgun, however I am at this moment loading some felt wad loads with 19grms of UK #7s and in MY gun they are laying out some very encouraging patterns and penetration results. This is a load listed by Folkestone Engineering.

I'm using Gamebore 2.5'' and just checked they are only 11g! I'm limited to 2.5'' in my gun which restricts the choice somewhat. Thanks, will do a pattern test next - never thought to check before. Obvious really!