White feather

daveboy

A friend of mine has just lost her Dad and has been told by a "Medium" to look out for a white feather.

I'm not surprised the "Medium" picked a white feather, since I started looking (out of interest) they are everywhere.

It's like saying "is there a John or a Dave in the room"

In my opinion if a "Medium" can't prove they can hear dead people the should be done for fraud. :no:

Ps. She is finding this very upsetting.

I understand your (and her) point of view - but I think the "medium" is simply looking to install some positivity back in to your friends life as in -

Do not stand at my grave and weep;

I am not there; I do not sleep.

I am a thousand winds that blow,

I am the diamond glints on snow.

I am the sunlight on ripened grain,

I am the gentle autumn rain.

When you awaken in the morning’s hush.

I am the swift uplifting rush,

of quiet birds in circled flight;

I am the stars that shine at night.

Do not stand at my grave and cry;

I am not there; I did not die.

It's not necessarily about the exact correctness of it and I sincerely wish your friend all the very best in coming to terms with her sad loss.

Edited by Eyefor

Right on.

If one so-called medium or psychic had a shred of actual supernatural ability it would have been proven, and it hasn't. There was that bloke (James Randi I believe) who offered a large cash sum to anyone who could prove it under measured conditions, and funnily enough nobody ever claimed it.

Google 'cold reading' - it's easy to do and people can be very easily fooled.

Edited by Thunderbird

I understand your (and her) point of view - but I think the "medium" is simply looking to install some positivity back in to your friends life as in -

It's not necessarily about the exact correctness of it and I sincerely wish your friend all the very best in coming to terms with her sad loss.

On this, I don't see anything wrong in principle with wanting to instil some positivity into someone's life, but surely they (the medium) would better serve the bereaved by training as a bereavement counsellor and doing it 'properly' rather than peddling a load of claptrap.

I'm sure some mediums really do think they are getting messages from the other side...but, really? :no:

Well the "Medium" did give her details and offered to do a private reading for £50

On this, I don't see anything wrong in principle with wanting to instil some positivity into someone's life, but surely they (the medium) would better serve the bereaved by training as a bereavement counsellor and doing it 'properly' rather than peddling a load of claptrap.

I'm sure some mediums really do think they are getting messages from the other side...but, really? :no:

Spot on. Sharing a pleasant poem which may give some comfort is one thing, but it's perfectly possible to do that without any supernatural baggage. You are right, I'm sure there are some people who genuinely believe they have a "gift". Apologies if that includes anyone on here, but I think they are deluded. However being deluded is slightly better than dishonest and unscrupulous.

One of my first telly jobs was an expose of medium fraud and they managed to get the unedited footage of a show by the scouse bloke off most haunted which included such treats as "I'm getting a J, has anyone lost someone whose name begins with a J? John? James? Joe?" And later he went to a row of elderly people and made the staggering observation that someone in the group had lost a loved one - really? A group of pensioners and one of them might have lost someone? Not exactly Sherlock!

The comedian Tom Binns does a character called Ian D Montford and he learnt cold reading and performs as a dreadful psychic but his finale is he cold reads some people and the reaction is staggering as he is so good. One of the times we saw him he got a woman so banged to rights she really freaked out and was crying, he spent a long time after in the bar explaining how it works to anyone that stayed to find out. The science is fascinating,things like framing a sentence in the negative so you can never be wrong, "You haven't lost a partner have you?" If they answer no you say didn't think so and move on, if they say yes you say thought so - either answer makes you look like you're in control.

They are an absolute disgrace and am appalled at the way they conduct themselves

I am not one for believing in this kind of 'malarkey' but a strange thing happened last week.

My Father was in hospital and in not good shape and Mother and I where outside having a Smoke and it was quite blustery. We were both standing when a White feather came floating down gently and landed on the ground about ten yards away and it started to tumble in our direction. My Mother believes in this and has collected lots of feathers. I said to her I wonder who its for.? I stepped forward and couldnt believe when all of a sudden it stopped at my feet. My Mother Said its for you.

We told the story back up in the Ward to my Sisters and the asked what did i do with it. I said I threw it away and what Would I be wanting with an Old Seagull feather. They scoffed at me and said I had no heart. But I did keep the feather and I put it in My fathers pygama's breast pocket along with a holy emblem.

My Father passed peacefully on the 4th of July and I like to think the Feather was a sign he is with the Angels.

Edited by SuperGoose75