Shotgun adapters..

fronty61

Just a thought to share for input from you top brains out there..after spotting my old H and R Topper , 12 gauge single shot lurking in the gunsafe, unused for ages, and with a stack of 28 gauge ammo, but no suitable gun, I picked up a 12/28 gauge adapter ( unnamed ?) and find I now have a light, usable walkup gun, patterns better than my old Webley .410..takes rabbits, pigeons, corvids etc clean reliable pattern and kills well to 35 yds . Cost me £15 for the gun, £20 for the adapter from a back draw at my local gunsmith..result, and new use for an old gun which I can still use for lighter 12 gauge loads if needed..wouldn`t trust it above my Eley Impax loads, added fun, so easy on the shoulder, and fine to start a young shot till he`s confident ? Sure this would work fine with .410, of course.

Now that interests me. My father/Father in Law passed away last Christmas, and he gave me his unbranded Spanish 60 odd year old hammer action single 12 bore. Very light, and very hard on the shoulder! Any idea where i could get one? No details on the adapter at all?

Cheers.

I think quite a few older gunshops may have one hanging around in a back room, or a wanted ad on here may find one ? No reason why a competent man couldn`t turn one on a lathe (mine is a simple mild steel job. Doesn`t go on your SGC, only needs proof mark if only for your use according to my FEO. Holds pattern well..if getting one turned up, do a pair if using for walked up game. Don t use in a pump or semi-auto, fine in SxS, or O/U if you wish. I checked mine on a pattern plate..works fine with an Astra Cyclope and a Baikal also. So pleased to get your family gun back in business, I use a 1963 Browning Twelvette for the same reason..and still works better than I do !

My brains went missing on last post..proof NOT needed if only for your personal use !!!

Years ago Parker Hale sold them and they were quite common in 12 >>> 410. But I kind of fail to understand what the real benifit or reason for using one is. The noise of a 410 is about the same. The shot size (6 > 7) is the same. The velocity is the same, the difference between say a 12 and a 410 is in the shot load and the expense of using 410 cartridges >>> = £8 a box 14 grm as opposed to £5.95 a box 21 grm ( prices from just cartridges).

Edited by fortune

Full choke works fine for me too..if making one, need to allow approx 3 thou heat expansion with mild steel, and keep clean ! Just happy to find a way to keep using the older single shots so many of us started with , and learned not to waste ammo !

hello, using machine steel in the making of mine, a local company, will take 2.1/2 furlongs, oh thats just what i mentioned allowance 3 thou :good:

years ago i got a mate to make me 2 adapters to take 20g in 12g barrel,and 1 410 for the 12g barrel used them a lot years ago but not any more cos i have 2 20g guns,,,but cant legally sell them cos theyre not proofed.ps he made them in model engineering classes at local tech.

Thanks for the replies folks. It would only be for my use, and I'd be doing it for mainly sentimental reasons. I'd have to decide on what to drop it down to, although if the price of them to buy or have made up is reasonable, i could have a couple i suppose... I just want to drop the recoil down a bit. Having never looked, i'll also have to see what's readily available to.

Cheers folks.

hello, using machine steel in the making of mine, a local company, will take 2.1/2 furlongs, oh thats just what i mentioned allowance 3 thou :good:

Can you post an update when yours is made oldypigeonpopper, let us know how it performs?

I'd prefer a UK Smith or small Engineering firm to make one if possible.

Cheers

James

If it helps, I`ve used a variety of adapters in the States..not all good, Gaugemates, Chambermates and full tubes work well, but cost a bomb ! Over here Parker hale .410 patterned well, but a simple turned job works and patterns well enough for small game at 20 yds (.410 ) or 30 yds ( my favourite 28 gauge.) 12/20 gauge is fine, but snappy on the shoulder, wall on 12/16 gauge is too thin for safety ! Seen em bust !!! Any over/under, Sxs or single shot should be fine, subject to choke size on the original barrel, MUST pattern properly before use on live game, as it varies gun to gun. Pump and semi-auto can be damaged if any problem with recoil system. Patents go back to the `20s, turned up in local shops on basic lathes, and good fun, practical way to extend you shooting for minimal cost, means you still have space in your cabinet for that extra treasure you just spotted ! By the way, I carry a pair of 12/28 s pre-loaded for speed in the field, so turn up a pair while you`re at it. Also factor in length of shell you will use ?

• 4 weeks later...

Would it be possible to make 10 to 12 gauge? I'm guessing that the difference would make for quite thin tube walls. Just looking for ways to enable me to use my old Ithaca double with light loads. It's also 3" not 3.5" so 10g current factory loads are very rare. Obviously reloading is the answer and cutting the hulls down would work but at this time it would cost about £150 to get set up with parts and basic tools so the idea of shooting 12's is quite appealing. Any ideas gents?

Would it be possible to make 10 to 12 gauge? I'm guessing that the difference would make for quite thin tube walls. Just looking for ways to enable me to use my old Ithaca double with light loads. It's also 3" not 3.5" so 10g current factory loads are very rare. Obviously reloading is the answer and cutting the hulls down would work but at this time it would cost about £150 to get set up with parts and basic tools so the idea of shooting 12's is quite appealing. Any ideas gents?

Yeah. Shop on WAY different sites if your set-up cost to start loading shorter 10-bore hulls is £150 :oops:

Suggest a search on YouTube for techniques on hull trimming & how to make shorter cases...then hardwood or turned delrin/plastic rammers for tamping down the powder, then a used RTO tool or a GAEP or similar RTO head for a drill (or a drill-press if you have access to one).

Used wooden/plastic hand-tools can be found on Ebay France quite a lot.

There's was a good 2-piece article in the US magazine Reloading a while ago that was about 10-ga short hulls. Will see if I can find where I put it.

First part was online to view, the 2nd I had to buy a physical magazine (oh, the inconvenience! :lol: )

Would appreciate that, my estimate was made up from sufficient quantities of cases, wads, gas checks, shot cups, over shot cards, Gaep roll crimper and shell holder. I have powder, shot and primers, case trimmer and can turn hardwood or nylon to suit. I believe that with a little modification I can adapt one of my lee load alls for decapping and sizing/priming. My thoughts regarding a chamber converter would simply be an easy way to shoot the thing! As a second thought, if 10 to 12 is difficult, I could go 10-16 or 10-20 ? Perhaps a wanted ad for 10g stuff on PW is called for?

ITAR restrictions in the USA specifically exempt shotshell components - so you can also import some of the American wads & hulls

European sources like SIARM may have some stuff too

Concentrate on shorter 2 5/8 cases & loads of around 1 1/4-oz or so as that should make for cheap reloads & nice patterns.

Cards can be home made once you get a disc cutter (or make your own on the lathe) then cut them from suitable card or fibreboard - depending on type of disc/card needed

You should be aware that because they are less than 24" an FAC is required to own one. If you don't believe me ask your FEO. It is chambered and is classed as a separate barrel. It also requires proof marks to sell it

FAC? They're a shotgun part/accessory.

S2 rules apply.

Besides being under 12" they're below FAC shotgun barrel length - so if an FEO wants to get pedantic they're SECTION 5

What part of the Firearms Act states that these are on FAC?

Edited by saddler

FAC? They're a shotgun part/accessory.

S2 rules apply.

Besides being under 12" they're below FAC shotgun barrel length - so if an FEO wants to get pedantic they're SECTION 5

What part of the Firearms Act states that these are on FAC?

Its not anywhere in any legislation as far as I'm aware, its the old story, people in authority making up rules as they go along. It doesn't bother me, I'm never going to want to use one. I'm just warning you what interpretation has been placed on these in the past.

Not mentioned in legislation = no legal requirement or restriction on ownership

Local offices have been & will continue to make up the rules as they go along to suit the continuity-ACPO jobsworths above them, department policy, personal staff dislikes, etc.

Not right or legal, but they like to make a noise & flex their muscles to show who's in charge