Fit an adjustable comb or bend the stock?

Greenhunter

I purchased a Silver pigeon 1 in 20 gauge recently. After shooting it for a while I seem to be unable to consistently mount the gun so that I look straight down the rib, often being aware that I can 'see' the left side of the barrels. I normally shoot a Lincoln which has a degree of cast and suits me well and I don't'see' the barrel at all.

The stock of the pigeon is straight grained. As I understand it this could make bending it risky and difficult but, to my mind, preferable.

My question here is basically, would I achieve the desired outcome by having an adjustable comb fitted?

I would really appreciate any opinions on this. Thanks in advance for your time and input.

GH

Bent fits you, adjustable fits most folk, for resale its a no brainer.Adjustable is virtually risk free.

Agree, adjustable 👍

As an aside you say you are looking down the left . Is this definitely because of lack of cast or is it comb height or even eye dominance ??

Please check, but I thought a straight grain through the 'hand' was advantageous when/if altering the stock.

So did I. I have been told countless times 'the fancier the wood the more prone it is to cracking', but have no idea how true it is.

My go to gun for everything has an adjustable comb, and this is the way I'd go.

I also agree they don't look right on a dedicated game gun.

So did I. I have been told countless times 'the fancier the wood the more prone it is to cracking', but have no idea how true it is.

My go to gun for everything has an adjustable comb, and this is the way I'd go.

I also agree they don't look right on a dedicated game gun.

I think that not only do they not 'look right' (which isn't hugely important - an o/u doesn't look right in the game field either :lol: unless it happens to say Boss or Woodward on the side) - but presumably it is harder to remove water/suffers more from corrosion risk when getting wet?

Bent fits you, adjustable fits most folk, for resale its a no brainer.Adjustable is virtually risk free.

No,adjustable fits no one !

Pushing a comb piece across doesn`t make a gun fit,it allows you to place your head in a more incorrect position.

Bending the stock should make the gun shoot where you look with the absolute minimum of adaptation.

+ 1 for Elderkins. Straight grain should be easier to bend BUT are you SURE that you are mounting the gun in an identical manner EVERY time. Unless you are, then all the gunfitting will be neither use or ornament ! Having had a few guns fitted over the years, I am a great advocate of a correctly fitted gun and as to how much pleasure, it's use can bring. Although very much self taught, that was probably due more to a lack of Instructors than my willingness to have lessons. Two 'Instructors' that did help me perfect the art of correct gun mounting (and both advocated the same style) are both long gone, but I have never forgotten their words of encouragement (and the odd slap around the ear !). BUT the words of one of them have never left me, after being told that I had "Thrombosis of the Stock......................or..............It's the clot behind it" (Courtesy of Dai Jones of West Mids Shooting Ground fame !). If you are sure about your gun mounting, get the gun fitted and then just shoot it.