speed limiters

mel b3

hiya gents,

this might seem like an odd post , but can speed limiters be bought and(easily and cheaply) retro fitted to a car ?.

my reason for asking , is that , ive recently noticed that im getting so preoccupied with not speeding , that i feel as if im not paying enough attention to the actual business of driving .

drifting 1mph or 2mph over the speed limit was never an issue as im not really a speeder anyway , and many cameras and police authorities give you the 10% + 2mph leeway anyway , but , im also aware that some of them dont . the implications of getting a speeding ticket can be quite expensive , fac issues , big fines , vocational license issues , insurance premiums going through the roof. id much rather spend my time behind the wheel , not crashing , rather than looking constantly at my speedo , and scouring the streets for mobile camera vans.

before anyone pipes up that i need to learn to drive , dont waste your time and energy , only constructive answers are required thanks.

Good question.

I don't know whether retro fit gizmo is an option.

Have you considered changing car to one with cruise and speed limiter ? I know for instance Renaults have been so equipped for years so finding something for as little as £3-£4k is easily possible.

Edited by Hamster

I have a sat nav that bleeps every time you go over a speed limit, maybe an idea? If you don't set a route you could drive round all day safe in the knowledge that the beep will keep you im check.

Cant see how you would get a limiter to sort out 30,40 & 70mph.....

PS- dont know where you live, I have trouble getting up to the speed limit... bus, cyclist, bin lorry, another cyclist- the list is endless.

Thank you for the replies so far guys ,they're all things that I hadn't even thought about.

I'm not sure why , but I just sort of assumed ,that with all the techy gizmos and gadgets that can be bought these days ,that somebody would sell something that could be bolted on or plugged in.

I've just remembered that my good lady has a plug in speedo that I could use as a heads up display type of thing ,it would certainly help to keep my eyes focused on the road ahead.

Thank you again gents ,you've fired my brain into action.

Funnily enough I am sat in a Renault dealership and just asked about removing one from a works van, in this case it's 1.5 hours worth of work to get it removed. Remember it's only going to be worth it on motorways, having driven this one 100 miles this morning I really wouldn't have one out of choice

If you're doing 60 in a built up limit, how are your mates supposed to empty the wheely bins into the back of your wagon at that speed?

Sat-Nav is what I use to keep an eye on travelling speed, as it's more accurate than the vehicle speedo - though still tries to warn me of going above 20 in a school zone on weekends & during school breaks, which can get annoying.

If using a sat nav as a speed limit warning device it's important to keep it updated as information can be out of date should roads have speed limits reduced/temporarily imposed.

Mine for example goes off indicating a 20mph limit that was temporarily imposed on the A12 due to lane closures and bridge repairs,

Obviously when sat nav manufacturer 'mapped' the route this 20mph limit was listed.

Speeding fines make no difference to your fac, just drive as usual as you know if you are well enough over the limit to be prosecuted a couple of mph isn't going to make a difference.

this is my worry , some forces hand out tickets for just 1 mph over the limit , not all forces give the 10% + 2mph leeway , if i were to collect a few of those , i could possibly be waving goodbye to my vocational licence , and my fac , it would also get very very expensive . as a professional driver , i want to do all i can to improve my driving , and improve road safety for myself and others .

i did a speed awareness course last year , i was clocked at 34mph , on a road that had recently been changed from national speed limit , i didnt see the new signs when i travelled to my shoot at 4am , and i didnt see them on the way back as the new sign was hidden by trees, i probably could have gone to court , but , i really really dont need that kind of aggravation in my life. a speed limiter would remove the problem completely.

If you're doing 60 in a built up limit, how are your mates supposed to empty the wheely bins into the back of your wagon at that speed?

Sat-Nav is what I use to keep an eye on travelling speed, as it's more accurate than the vehicle speedo - though still tries to warn me of going above 20 in a school zone on weekends & during school breaks, which can get annoying.

i never have a problem at work , im guessing that its because im always rushing , so im a bit more switched on.

the more i think about it , the heads up display thingy seems like the , easiest , cheapest , and quickest fix.

My car has a speed limiter which i find very useful especially in areas i dont know

strangely enough , im fine in areas that i dont know , i can only guess that not knowing an area keeps me switched on.

Sat Nav speed reminder more accurate than the cars own gauge ? Sorry but I don't believe that for one moment, what sort of accuracy do you need ?

Also I think we're confusing speed limiter's mechanical/electronic prevention of the car gathering speed with a mere beep :hmm:, the former means you pretty much relax in the knowledge that you will not be able to go above a set speed, not have to react to an audible sound ! Having said that there are two types of speed limiter, the cheaper ones will NOT prevent a car from going over a given speed if going downhill, more expensive designs physically retard the cars acceleration via breaking and/or gear changes.

Some older cars have them hidden in a menu (e.g. BMW 3 series about 10 years old has a 'beeper' that will beep when the speed is exceeded) - others have a full limiter that can be set using the cruise control setting switches (e.g. some Mercedes models, again about 10 years old). The Mercedes system can be overridden (a bit like a kickdown) for emergencies

Edited by JohnfromUK

As far as I remember the 10% plus 2mph over the speed limit was purely advisory from the then ACPO........it was not mandatory so it was ignored by some forces! But not by others! So it was pot luck and down to whether they needed money whether they enforced it! This was when the Labour Party were in power, It was also whilst Labour were in power that the proliferation of "cash cow" speed cameras and detector vans appeared everywhere, under the guise of "safety partnerships".................Many were mothballed when the Tories got in! if I recall it was also the Labour government who converted several minor transgressions (motoring and other minor offences) into criminal offences? So you are a now criminal if you were ever caught speeding in the past, and have to declare such on a shotgun/firearm certificate application/renewal.

Does this give an insight into how a future Corbin Labour government would fund free tuition fees? Or curtail private gun ownership?

It probably ain't just speeding we should all be distracted by...........or paranoid about!

The sat nav speed reads a good 5 mph slower than the speedo in my 6 month old van. Not sure which is correct so I go by the sat nav .

Satnav is (or at least should be) quite accurate. Speedos read fast ...... because there has to be some 'tolerance' and they are set so that that never under-read, which measured that they are always a bit over. Last speedo I measured against a supposed accurate GPS based system was reading about 73-75 m.p.h. at a true speed of 70 m.p.h. so reading about 5% fast

I'll wear my tin helmet saying this........ However, i do not think any court in the land would convict someone for going 1 mph over the limit. Yes, modern car speedos are more accurate, but not still not accurate enough to tell you to the 1mph. I've driven several new cars in the last couple of years and my own 2014 car, and the speedos were still out by around 5 to 7 mph according to my Updated Sat Nav with warnings.

No disrespect to mel b3, I don't know you.

As far as I can see, the Police can only claw back the cost of the 'running speed enforcement'. The majority doesn't even go to local Government, it goes to the National Government.

Edited by jam1e

Speeding fines make no difference to your fac, just drive as usual as you know if you are well enough over the limit to be prosecuted a couple of mph isn't going to make a difference.

Yup agree. A friend has recently been caught well over 100 on his bike. Fac going through renewal and they weren't even interested. Said it would be different if drink driving though.

I'll wear my tin helmet saying this........ However, i do not think any court in the land would convict someone for going 1 mph over the limit. Yes, modern car speedos are more accurate, but not still not accurate enough to tell you to the 1mph. I've driven several new cars in the last couple of years and my own 2014 car, and the speedos were still out by around 5 to 7 mph according to my Updated Sat Nav with warnings.

No disrespect to mel b3, I don't know you.

As far as I can see, the Police can only claw back the cost of the 'running speed enforcement'. The majority doesn't even go to local Government, it goes to the National Government.

I asked my mate about this who has been a magistrate for years and he said the only time he has seen anybody get done for doing 31mph

is when they get accused of going a lot quicker (say 45 in a 30)they denied this but admitted speeding so the prosecution agree to

set the ticket at 31mph

Sat Nav speed reminder more accurate than the cars own gauge ? Sorry but I don't believe that for one moment, what sort of accuracy do you need ?

Also I think we're confusing speed limiter's mechanical/electronic prevention of the car gathering speed with a mere beep :hmm:, the former means you pretty much relax in the knowledge that you will not be able to go above a set speed, not have to react to an audible sound ! Having said that there are two types of speed limiter, the cheaper ones will NOT prevent a car from going over a given speed if going downhill, more expensive designs physically retard the cars acceleration via breaking and/or gear changes.

At a continuous speed. on a flat road, the Sat Nav speed is more accurate than the cars gauge.