Keeping close

Hi I have a 2 year old cocker that is very head strong and he's coming along well in training but when he's quartering at about 12ft after a while he tends to go out to far, most times I can stop him on the whistle and bring him back in and cast him off again but every so often he just goes and no whistling or shouting will stop him after a couple of minutes he comes back and sits as though nothing has happened, I tell him off with my voice and put the lead on and wait a while then quarter again for a minute or so then put him away so we finish on a good note, do I need to quarter him even closer. He is not allowed at anytime to run free and when I walk him it's always on the lead. Any feed back would be very helpful.

I am no expert so the following is not advice merely observations.

I don't sign up to the no free running, in my mind surely this makes the dog crave freedom once it has an opportunity ?? Neighbours have two labs not trained to the gun in anyway. Even though they have land they never let them off a lead. Last year there son home from uni took them for a walk in a country park and let them off, they immediately head for the hills not to be seen for two days when they were found about four miles away by a stranger. Just a thought but could it be the lack of free running ????

When quartering do you plant anything for him to actually find ??

I drop balls at my feet every now and then so there is a reason to hunt / stay close as that's were the action is.

As I say I am not experienced just giving my two peneth for what its worth

Thanks for your input I do hide a dummy here and there and even dropped a food morsel at my feet now and then and call him in to it also I let him run in my garden which is a no training place but he is so head strong maybe it's his age and he might settle down as he gets older is grandad was argyle warrior

Hi

Try tossing a ball/dummy 8/10 yards out to the left (into the wind ) when you send him right so blind retrieve call him back send left wind helps him find it

Don't throw dummy ahead of you more than a yard

When you're sure he's got the hang of it do it against the wind but shorter 6/8 yards should get him turning tighter

Maybe help

All the best

Of

as soon as the dog starts to go self employed or just before stop walking or run backwards as this will keep his attention focused on you and do it as quietly as possible therefore he must keep his eyes on you and not rely on verbal / whistle so that he can rely on his ears to know where you are the quieter you can be keeps the dogs attention on you if he works too far in front he is trying to take control so the faster he works he drags you along so the job gets done quicker so slow everything down and keep him calm so he cant get it wrong try to keep him guessing what you are going to do next , change direction /sit down /tie your boot lace / rummage in your bag /search your pockets / throw your cap on the ground / whatever you can do to keep his eyes on you and only move forward when you do hope this helps

Thanks for all your input. Motty I will keep on with stop and recall. Saltings sounds good advice will put it into practice. Old Farrier i can see how this would work keeping him interested in something close by so he doesn't want to go else where. I will let you know how he comes on.