Pickled Pigeon

wokkywokky

Hi guys, thought I would share with you my pickled pigeon recipe. This is a great way to preserve birds and makes for a delicious light meal.

Firstly you need to shoot some pigeons :-)

IMG_20170708_171810.jpg

Next pluck the feathers, cut off the head, legs and wings

IMG_20170709_113657.jpg

IMG_20170709_123446.jpg

Next you need to gut the birds and remove all the internals. Give them a good wash under cold water and ensure they are spotlessly clean internally. The lungs are tricky to clean out as the stick to the rib cage. a small knife and even a toothbrush come in handy.

IMG_20170710_111241.jpg

Boil enough water to cover the birds in a large pot. Add some salt. The birds need at least an hour to boil

IMG_20170710_111519.jpg

Remove from water once cooked and allow to fully cool

IMG_20170710_161003.jpg

Place the birds into a large airtight pickling jar

IMG_20170710_162417.jpg

Add red wine vinegar to cover the birds.

IMG_20170710_162427.jpg

IMG_20170710_162533.jpg

Add a layer of olive oil on top to prevent any air from tainting the meat, plus this helps to add flavour and tenderise the meat.

IMG_20170710_163209.jpg

Stick on label so you know when it was pickled and when it can be eaten.

IMG_20170710_164751.jpg

Leave to pickle for at least 4 weeks. Turn the jar over daily to mix the olive oil on to the birds.

The best way to serve this is with eggs. Remove the skin off the birds and shred the meat. It should literally fall off the bone. Heat some olive oil in a frying pan and sauté the meat for a few minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste and crack in a couple of eggs. Fry the entire lot and serve. Delicious!

I guess it could work for partridge but I have never tried that.

With partridge or pheasant I clean the bird same as above making sure it is spotlessly clean inside and out. Boil the bird for 45mins but do not tip the water away. Use the water/stock to boil up your favourite pasta such as a penne or chifferi.

The bird goes in the oven with some vegetable or sunflower oil on top. Baste the bird regularly to get its skin crispy and stop it from drying out.

Serve the pasta straight from the water on to the plate. A bit of the stock adds to the flavour. Carve the meat and place on top of pasta. If you want to add a bit more flavour try some grated parmesan and a sprinkle of dried mint. A simple yet great dish.

could this be done with just the breast meat?

I guess it could be done with just the breast. My dad prefers to take off legs and wings with the bone and fry it with the eggs. That way he can eat it off the bone to add to the experience.

Edited by wokkywokky

• 3 weeks later...