Acid attacks contingency

tx4cabbie

There are a lot of little herberts stealing mopeds, phones, etc, by spraying their victims with acid, because caught with a knife is a potential prison sentence but acid isn't nearly as serious a possession charge. (Needs changing, soon.)

That being the case, I'm out in the cab all night in the areas these little wotsits frequent, and it's possible I'll be either a) attacked (cash business). Or b) one of the first on the scene of someone else's bad day.

Want to get something to cart about for chemical burn irrigation. I've usually got liquid in the cab but it's lemon squash or similar, not ideal for helping people wash their eyes out.

I know some of us are more experienced in the potential for chem burns, and as my google-fu is on the blink, please any advice would be welcome.

At the chemical plants they have giant water fire extinguishers with a shower hose on the end.

You stand under them and pull the lever to dump the water on top of you.

So maybe a water based fire extinguisher would work.

EDIT

I like the above answer better......The water will be a lot cleaner

Edited by daveboy

I'm puzzled as to how legislation ( apart from the severity of the sentence ) would change anything; most household detergents if sprayed into anyone's face wouldn't do any good.

+1. Anyone who thinks that making hasher penalties and making more laws is living in La La land. The lawless will just mix different chemicals together to get the same effect. What did they do when drugs were made illegal? They just moved to a different chemical that wasn't illegal but which gave the same resulting high or in this case more damaging.

Just a big tub of ordinary bicarbonate of soda (about £1 from superdrug) dissolved in a 2 litre bottle of water will neutralise the acid and you might want to tie a plastic eye bath to the neck of the bottle on a length of string so you can find it when you cant see. Then carry it somewhere you can get your hands on it quickly. Seconds count.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mediusure-Healthcare-One-Size-Plastic-Eyewash-Pain-Relieve-Cleaning-Eye-Bath-Cup-/263047689875?var=&hash=item3d3edd3693:m:mrwsJEtMLI1PPxp7qgOJlCg

Head back and pour the bicarb solution all over your face and eyes immediately. It will fizz up like mad but don't be put off, it is reacting with the acid to neutralise it. Then do both eyes with the bicarb solution in the eye bath and open your eyes when you do it. that wont be easy. Any solution left goes over your face a second time and wash your eyes a second time.

If you are out on the street and you see somebody get acid in their face, ANY liquid, even pee is better than nothing to dilute it but you really need bicarb to neutralise it.

Edited by Vince Green

Sulphuric acid is the worst you can get..

Nitric acid, You can Dilute with water..

SULPHURIC ACID, Cannot be diluted with water,in fact the exact is opposite..

It acts as an irritant,and burns even deeper and quicker..

It was used by the monks to burn images into metal..

Draw the image with water on metal,it will kick it into TURBO GEAR..

Tried to buy some years ago to make some gun browning solution,,They would not sell it me..

I did manage with nitric which is a lot slower, if any animal or person is exposed to it,the water in your body with make it boil on the skin..

The people that use it have a type of thick stuff they use ,similar to putting it on a Burn...

Water is the Worst you can use,it will melt your skin even faster,,Be warned,,...

PS... The Monks Used a Swan feather to tickle it....lol..

Edited by subsonicnat

It acts as an irritant,and burns even deeper and quicker..

It was used by the monks to burn images into metal..

Draw the image with water on metal,it will kick it into TURBO GEAR..

Tried to buy some years ago to make some gun browning solution,,They would not sell it me..

I did manage with nitric which is a lot slower, if any animal or person is exposed to it,the water in your body with make it boil on the skin..

The people that use it have a type of thick stuff they use ,similar to putting it on a Burn...

Water is the Worst you can use,it will melt your skin even faster,,Be warned,,...

PS... The Monks Used a Swan feather to tickle it....lol..

Surely the most accessible acid that the morons would use would be car battery acid - ie dilute sulphuric acid.

AFAIK the preferred method of removing battery acid is indeed drenching the site with water

Sorry, but most of the above is complete ********.

Conc sulphuric acid is pretty bad, but so are nitric and formic acids at high concentrations. If you want a qualified opinion of the worst acid to get a burn from, it has to be fluoric acid - we are talking amputation to avoid gangrene here.

To suggest that you cannot dilute sulphuric acid with water is moonshine of the finest quality. With *ANY* acid, the immediate action is to dilute with water - as much water as you can manage without drowning the victim.

As suggested above - cheap supermarket bottled water, and lots of it.

Most acids can be neutralised with an "alkaline" solution, but I would purchase a eye wash bottle filled with a solution as may be suggested by a chemist. Water it's self will not neutralise the acid only dilute, an mild "alkaline" is required, conversely to neutralise caustic burns a mild "acid" is needed.

Sorry, but most of the above is complete ********.

Conc sulphuric acid is pretty bad, but so are nitric and formic acids at high concentrations. If you want a qualified opinion of the worst acid to get a burn from, it has to be fluoric acid - we are talking amputation to avoid gangrene here.

To suggest that you cannot dilute sulphuric acid with water is moonshine of the finest quality. With *ANY* acid, the immediate action is to dilute with water - as much water as you can manage without drowning the victim.

As suggested above - cheap supermarket bottled water, and lots of it.

All I can say is pity the poor devil you are doing it to.

Just stand back and watch him boil, I was quoting the chap in the factory where they used it..

All around the walls were packs and packs of this cream for want of a better word..

I think it is better left to proffesionals who decide what is used on any poor devil being thrown in their face..

And that is why he would not sell it to me..

After his Qualified opinion of the stuff,I did not want it anyway..

I asked about WATER,, You cannot use water on it was what he said,..

For the reasons quoted

He was the proffesional,Not You..

So I will stick with that..

Also dont assume "an acid attack" is actually acid strong alkaline (bleach etc) can be as bad if not worse caustic burns etc water is the only thing you can use if your not sure what has been used. Many many years ago my mum was advised to keep a spraky tin of oven cleaner handy if attacked apperently mr muscle to the eyes will stop the biggest and baddest...

https://www.countrywidehealthcare.co.uk/coshh/repository/HC-0755.pdf

Edited by HDAV

The scrotes are possibly using this unaware that misuse of a noxious spray could be deemed as a firearms offence

(Section 5 of the 1968 Firearms Act: Prohibition of certain weapons and control of arms traffic

5.-(1) A person commits an offence if, without the authority of the Defence Council, he has in his possession, or purchases or acquires, or manufactures, sells or transfers-

(a) any firearm which is so designed or adapted that, if pressure is applied to the trigger, missiles continue to be discharged until pressure is removed from the trigger or the magazine containing the missiles is empty ;

(b) any weapon of whatever description designed or adapted for the discharge of any noxious liquid, gas or other thing)

All I can say is pity the poor devil you are doing it to.

Just stand back and watch him boil, I was quoting the chap in the factory where they used it..

All around the walls were packs and packs of this cream for want of a better word..

I think it is better left to proffesionals who decide what is used on any poor devil being thrown in their face..

And that is why he would not sell it to me..

After his Qualified opinion of the stuff,I did not want it anyway..

I asked about WATER,, You cannot use water on it was what he said,..

For the reasons quoted

He was the proffesional,Not You..

So I will stick with that..

May I suggest that you either misunderstood what the 'professional' was telling you, or he could have been winding you up? The heating up effect on the skin you are talking about (although you refer to it as 'boiling') is correct, however the consequences of NOT irrigating profusely with water are dire! I installed a multitude of equipment at SKB in Stevenage, and spent many hours going through RAMS on the very subject, and I can tell you quite categorically that WATER (and plenty of it) is the first port of call……...

But don't just take my word for it……you can google all day long and get the same answer. WATER!!!!

Unfortunatly the police have given these low life the green light for these type of crimes for years and have a policy not to knock the idiots off their puy-puts.As soon as a bobby with a brain decides to fight back and knock them off their probably stolen bikes then we might see this type of behavior stop overnight. from Auntie.

As far as I'm aware acid would be included as a section 5 weapon covered under noxious gas or liquid so as far as I know the law already covers it's use as severely as handguns and the like but I stand ready to be corrected if anyone with more knowledge than me knows different?

as has been said, plenty of bottles of water.

Thanks for the responses, looks like water is the thing .

I'm taking out several small bottles of water, frozen, with me to work. when driving past Wellington barracks a few days after London bridge attacks I saw two arv coppers standing in the sun, vest, g36, g17, etc, looking redfaced and uncomfortable. Went and bought some water from the fridge at Sainsbury and they were like a dog with two.... they were very happy to be given cold drinks. Now my wife freezes a few so I can take them out with me, and the coppers on static guard are pleased as punch to get a cold one, and to feel like they're appreciated.

I'll buy a saline eye irrigation bottle, and just have plenty of water bottles in case of incident. Cheers chaps