VERY novice recipes wanted

Old farrier

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For your fresh garden fruit you could make yourself a rumtopf.

You can buy a Rumtopf crock pot and then when your garden veg is ripe you simply put them in the pot and cover in dark rum.

Keep until the dark winter nights and then use the boozy fruit to add to sponge puddings or just serve with custard or even cream.

For your fresh garden fruit you could make yourself a rumtopf.

You can buy a Rumtopf crock pot and then when your garden veg is ripe you simply put them in the pot and cover in dark rum.

Keep until the dark winter nights and then use the boozy fruit to add to sponge puddings or just serve with custard or even cream.

Thanks for your reply and good idea 😊

However I try to steer clear of alcohol as a rule a occasionally bit birthday and Christmas is enough for me

Many thanks

Of

Thanks for the recommendation on "Men's Cooking"

I've just bought a copy as my son-in-law's Christmas present - he needs a few pointers

To be honest I have found it easy to use and created some better quality disasters with it

I did apple crumble surprise yesterday 🙄

And

Rather dry roasted lamb and roasted potatoes

So big thanks for the help I appreciated it immensely

Many thanks

Of

might as well add my twopenneth, A very easy meal is the old spaghetti bolognese

dice/cut up a couple of medium onion and a couple of garlic (the bits you break off a whole one)

fry until soft in a saucepan in veg/olive oil

take 1lb of mince stick it in with the onion fry that until brown

empty 1 tin of chopped tomatoes into the mix, add small tea spoon of salt and a bit of pepper,

break up a beef oxo cube put into small mug with boiling water, tip that in the mix

simmer and stir occasionally for about 45min, thats now cooked,

in another pan of boiling salted water put some pasta

cook that until soft

put the pasta on a large plate, spoon some sauce over it and finish with some grated cheese on the top

you have a sauce you can turn into chilly simply by adding some chilly powder (making sure its well cooked) and a tin of chilly beans (cooking until soft)

sorry if this has already had a mention

Many thanks for your replies

I'm getting a bit better this week

Shepherds pie surprise

IMG_1756.jpg

file and image uploader

What I've learned so far

You need a recipe with measurements for your ingredients

Follow them exactly

Ingredients work best at room temperature

You can then replicate the meal

And or add or subtract from it to your taste

Pet attention

Get a timer

Anyway off help dog do the washing up

All the best

Of

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I always found pasta/rice dishes the best when i first learnt to cook. Pretty simple and ingredients are easily interchangeable.

Can add whatever meat you want, change the pastas/spaghetti, tomato sauce or a cheese sauce. (just buy tinned tomatoes and add to a hot pan or cheese sauce in a packet)

Always cook the meat off first and put to one side. Then dice an onion and add to a hot pan with olive oil/butter, then add whatever you like - mushrooms, peppers, sweetcorn, peas, garlic, chilli, courgette, whatever you like really. Cook them until soft - i find that if you put the lid on a pan when cooking, it stops them burning, like the onions and garlic.

Add your tomato sauce from the tin ( can even use baked beans if you dont have any) return the meat to the pan, season with pepper, salt, oregano (can buy it dried in a jar from most super markets) then leave it on the hob to heat through for 10-15 mins.

Bosh your pasta/rice on at the same time on a medium high heat and they should be ready at the same time.

Sorry if someone has already suggested something similar i did read through but may have missed.

If you want something a bit more diffcult, try one of these;

Love a Lancashire hot pot, really nice and warming when the nights start to draw in.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/9099/lancashire-hotpot

Or this, big fan of this. Pan Fried Partridge with pearl barley, bit more difficult but worth it if you pull it off!!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/pan-fried-partridge-with-a-delicate-pearl-barley-pea-and-lettuce-stew-recipe-1909836#reviewsTop

• 2 months later...