Spraying a plastic bumper

Ricko

I need to replace the bumper on my car.

I was just going to get a second hand one, any colour.

The car is 7 years old and I'll probably end up running it into the ground.

I have sprayed vehicles many years ago and still have a compressor and a few spray guns, mainly nitrocellulose and synthetic transport enamel.

The car is a metallic silver, clear over base??

How easy is it to spray plastics?

Are a lot of car paints water based now?

Is it just a case of flatting it off, base coat on, then lacquer??

Any help greatly appreciated

You need 1200 wet and dry to give the key to hold the paint but not to leave scratch lines. A bucket of Soapy water and a sponge. Let the water run onto the work as you rub it down. this will stop the paint tearing, the wet and dry won't get clogged and you can see what the situation is on the bumper.

I'll keep checking, there's a few that are a similar silver, I'll end up with one of them and just match it in.

I bought the compressor off the dad of my first girlfriend, he threw in all his gear and a free lesson on spraying!

I used to practice on my old Vauxhall Viva GLS, it must have had about five coats of nitrocellulose!

I'm just way out of touch!

I'll keep checking, there's a few that are a similar silver, I'll end up with one of them and just match it in.

I bought the compressor off the dad of my first girlfriend, he threw in all his gear and a free lesson on spraying!

I used to practice on my old Vauxhall Viva GLS, it must have had about five coats of nitrocellulose!

I'm just way out of touch!

Have sprayed plastic with cans bought from car shop and always looked good,plasti kote !! not sure if thats right but similar.

I need to replace the bumper on my car.

I was just going to get a second hand one, any colour.

The car is 7 years old and I'll probably end up running it into the ground.

I have sprayed vehicles many years ago and still have a compressor and a few spray guns, mainly nitrocellulose and synthetic transport enamel.

The car is a metallic silver, clear over base??

How easy is it to spray plastics?

Are a lot of car paints water based now?

Is it just a case of flatting it off, base coat on, then lacquer??

Any help greatly appreciated

If the bumper s already painted just crack on and spray it it's no different to spraying a door for example.

I do this for a living. If you were closer I'd do it for you for material costs, but I'd suggest finding someone close to yourself to carry out the work. It's not hard, but the products you'd need to get even halfway there are expensive and not good for you. Plus silver is a bitch.

You're going to need a two pack epoxy sealer, solvent base coat, universal and standard thinners, two pack clear and hardner. Plus wet and dry , scotch pads and a good degreaser. That lot is not cheap, and needs mixing in the correct ratios.

Pm your postcode and I'll try to find someone local who can help you.