Waste of time,

Shotguneddy

Been shooting 10 years on my local Perm, and never in 10 years has it been so deserted, I've got peas wheat winter and spring barley rape, silage and still not a bird spend hours everyday watching for flightlines but nothing, go mile either way fields are black and blue and flattened the same crops but won't go near ours barely any even fly over in a day, very odd, had enough of it all tempted to pack in get rid of all the gear and guns, it was similar last year but this years a xxxxxxx joke, hard to quit something your addicted to doing but got no choice justca waste of time, fields with thousands of them no one shooting or will even let you shoot them. Hope they eat the lot

The farmers must be happy as Larry on your bit. I've had it in the past where birds just go straight over my pattern out of shot to go to fields further on. It's frustrating to keep moving the pattern shape and flappers in the attempt to attract birds and they don't take any notice at all. But without trade there's not a lot that you can do about it.

Keep at it Eddy, I have only two very small permanent perms and scratch what i can from them, vermin and pigeon shooting. One of the perms gets a lot of leeks on it so some years it can be really poor for pigeons as i have never known them go onto leeks. I know how frustrating it can be, I think that is great advice which fortune gives that you just gotta keep at it and it will come good at some time. It would be a shame packing in as you have done the hard work, getting your certificate, obtaining your permission and the costs of your gun and gear you would never recoup your outlay. You appear to have show diligence in keeping up your visits over your area and keeping your gear will cost nothing. Some other opportunities may arise at at time, don't give up and I enjoy reading your posts.

atb

7diaw

Keep at it Eddy, I have only two very small permanent perms and scratch what i can from them, vermin and pigeon shooting. One of the perms gets a lot of leeks on it so some years it can be really poor for pigeons as i have never known them go onto leeks. I know how frustrating it can be, I think that is great advice which fortune gives that you just gotta keep at it and it will come good at some time. It would be a shame packing in as you have done the hard work, getting your certificate, obtaining your permission and the costs of your gun and gear you would never recoup your outlay. You appear to have show diligence in keeping up your visits over your area and keeping your gear will cost nothing. Some other opportunities may arise at at time, don't give up and I enjoy reading your posts.

atb

7diaw

hello a big plus 2 for Eddy :good: and well said :good:

Thanks for comments lads been on patrol tonight after work seeing a few building up on peas and spring barley which might get promising so will keep an eye out every night and maybe try for a few on weekend depending on weather. Thanks again

If you have seen fields with 1000s on , then you stand a very good chance gaining more permission , go see the land owner , tell him you have been shooting on the farm / farms down the road and the pigeons I have been keeping off are now going on your Winter / Spring barley or whatever crop they are going on , if you can go during the week then all the better , just ask for a day to begin with and go on from there .

If you want to shoot pigeons , first of all you need pigeons in the first place , then you need land to shoot on , not only a lot of land but more important the right land , then last but not least ,Time and a lot of it , its hard for you to be working all the week and only got a limited time to go , you might see pigeons on the stubbles with a nice lot of large bales scattered about Wednesday and Thursday , ideal situation , then Friday the bales are removed and the land pulled up all in the same day , so Saturday afternoon is to late ,whereas if you had gone Wednesday or Thursday you might have shot some pigeons . although we know bills have got to be paid and they are priority .

You say you have been going for ten years , so you should have a good idea at what crops to look at different times of the year and not waste what little time you have looking at crops that are at a stage where pigeons show little interest .

GOOD LUCK and don't get to despondent .

Like I said farmer won't let people asked many times and they've got shooters apparently can't be doing very good job haven't heard a bang all year, iv only got 4 tiny fields with various crops, pretty much joined together I'm not wasting my time watching I'm trying to simply make the best out of what I've got, pigeons aren't just eating rape or wheat there eating anything they can gt on, peas, barley oats grass even say they were only eating rape, bang and off they go to someone else's rape, wasting time would b watching 1 specific field all the time unless uv been seeing numbers building for a while and watch for flight lines etc, I work 60 hour weeks got young children can't drop everything for couple of birds unless you want to pay my wages to do shooting instead

Edited by shotgun eddy

I fully understand your situation S / Eddy , most of the members on here who shoot pigeons on a regular basis are either retired , semi retired or people who work and can devote all of there free time looking for pigeons to shoot and then finding the time to shoot them.

Now most of these members all had to start somewhere with maybe one small farm like yours to begin with but with perseverance they increased there land to be able to shoot the numbers they do now .

You don't state where you do your shooting and I am sure some areas might have as many shooters as there are pigeons to shoot but I can only vouch for the area where I live and I can assure you there is still land to shoot on if you are prepared to do your homework , one thing for certain is , you have got to go out and look for it as it is not likely to come and look for you .

If you are anywhere near me by all means get in touch and I will do my best to give you a day out . M M

Cheers appreciated comments, im Abingdon,Oxford areas, most people round this area also say its almost impossible to gain perm around here and I don't drive unfortunately so that restricts searches, i used to have lots of land but 1 farmer stopped there vermin controllers due to new pheasant shoots and another farm changed hands and farmer hsd syndicate pigeon shoots where people were paying ridiculous money to shoot most weeks

Edited by shotgun eddy

Cheers appreciated comments, im Abingdon,Oxford areas, most people round this area also say its almost impossible to gain perm around here and I don't drive unfortunately so that restricts searches, i used to have lots of land but 1 farmer stopped there vermin controllers due to new pheasant shoots and another farm changed hands and farmer hsd syndicate pigeon shoots where people were paying ridiculous money to shoot most weeks

That's a real shame for you to lose land like that.

One thing though, how do you manage to go pigeon shooting without being able to drive?

Might be worth trying to buddy up with someone?!

That's a real shame for you to lose land like that.

One thing though, how do you manage to go pigeon shooting without being able to drive?

Might be worth trying to buddy up with someone?!

my fields only 1-2 miles so I take my gun/ gunslip and SGC and bike as its near a paddocks and theres nowhere to park anyway and the farmer dosent like vechiles left about, every field ive ever had perms on have all been withing 5-6 Niles so have mostly always biked, if dads feeling lazy he drives but always get hassle from public ,travelers and randoms sniffing around your vehicle so works well when it worth going good exercise to