Silver plating a cartridge

ehb102

I want to get a piece of jewelry made as a gift. Please does anyone have any idea how I can get the brass part of a cartridge made silver? Silver plating perhaps? Is there anywhere that does that as a service? Or could I do it myself? Thank.

Brass cartridge cases are just that.........brass!. Steel and plated steel are primarily used for military (low cost) applications.

Silver and gold plating kits are readily available on t'interweb. (Try auction sites). I use a gold plating kit on Beretta triggers with very good results.

A brass case could be nickel plated quite easily. Google \ YouTube that.

Didn't think of nickel. Will keep that in mind.

Could you not get hold of and old paper cartridge when they were brass i find hundreds when metal detecting.

Lady is a sponsored shooter so it needs to be a particular brand.

Send to a plating shop.

the longevity and durability of electroplating is in a whole different class than immersion plating, electroplating is virtually always done from a cyanide-based solution and for extra durability a thin layer of rhodium over the silver.

Liquid Silver Plating, simple wipe-on or dip process only deposit a few microns and will wear off very quickly.

The Birmingham jewellery quarter might be a good place to start....https://www.google.co.uk/search?sa=X&biw=1600&bih=1068&q=silver+plating+birmingham+jewellery+quarter&npsic=0&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=52489969,-1911313,226&tbm=lcl&ved=0ahUKEwiOiI3J7Y_VAhUCaFAKHblPA30QtgMINw&tbs=lrf:!2m1!1e2!2m1!1e3!3sEAE,lf:1,lf_ui:2&rldoc=1#rlfi=hd:;si:;mv:!1m3!1d5839.5970781503665!2d-1.9111205309509387!3d52.488643673324994!3m2!1i1180!2i923!4f13.1

Brass cartridge cases are just that.........brass!. Steel and plated steel are primarily used for military (low cost) applications.

Correct in regard to centre fire rifle ammo but I think the OP is referring to shotgun cartridges. The "brass"at the base of a shotgun cart is usually plated steel.

Correct in regard to centre fire rifle ammo but I think the OP is referring to shotgun cartridges. The "brass"at the base of a shotgun cart is usually plated steel.

Aye. It's for one of those brooches with coloured feathers behind it.

Send to a plating shop.

the longevity and durability of electroplating is in a whole different class than immersion plating, electroplating is virtually always done from a cyanide-based solution and for extra durability a thin layer of rhodium over the silver.

Liquid Silver Plating, simple wipe-on or dip process only deposit a few microns and will wear off very quickly.

The Birmingham jewellery quarter might be a good place to start....https://www.google.co.uk/search?sa=X&biw=1600&bih=1068&q=silver+plating+birmingham+jewellery+quarter&npsic=0&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=52489969,-1911313,226&tbm=lcl&ved=0ahUKEwiOiI3J7Y_VAhUCaFAKHblPA30QtgMINw&tbs=lrf:!2m1!1e2!2m1!1e3!3sEAE,lf:1,lf_ui:2&rldoc=1#rlfi=hd:;si:;mv:!1m3!1d5839.5970781503665!2d-1.9111205309509387!3d52.488643673324994!3m2!1i1180!2i923!4f13.1

Thanks. I knew there was a reason why I hadn't followed up the YouTube suggestions, it was the thickness, how long it would last. I have submitted a request to one plater, let's see if they come back to me. I can't imagine that one or two shotgun cartridge ends will be very profitable, so I might get hit with huge setup costs.