Formula E

AVB

I watched the New York race on TV at the weekend. What a load of tripe. Electric cars that made the same sound as fairground dogems, on a narrow track that comprised of a couple of straights and a couple of hairpins, with drivers who could do nothing but bash into each other. If this is supposed to be the future of 'motor' sports then I despair. There were some fairly well known ex F1 drivers in it as well. I would want to be well paid to humiliate myself 'racing' one of those.

I was at Silverstone for the weekend, love F1 never watch formula E just not the same without the noise.

talking of noise- was intersting this year to compare the sound of the advancing hybrids against the old V8 two seaters that scare the **** out of celebrities and the well off between races/practice.....

To be fair- the new V6 hybrids are now equally as loud as the old V8s but a slightly lower/deeper pitch from where I was sitting.

Was at girlfriends who has a tv so put it on.

When they all gathered at one corner and got in each other's way and just about ground to a halt, it reminded me of my teenaged scalextric races. Hilarious!

Turned it off.

Yes that was it. Scalextrics. A good comparison.

Was at girlfriends who has a tv so put it on.

When they all gathered at one corner and got in each other's way and just about ground to a halt, it reminded me of my teenaged scalextric races. Hilarious!

Turned it off.

Girlfriend ! scalextric is about right. It is more entertaining to stand out on the side of the road and watch the cars go by

I had it on for a few mins but could not stand the sound of the cars to much like a dentist drill for my liking also it looked like they was racing in an industrial estate with big high walls not for me I am afraid but the kids may like it as it looked like it could have been on a computer game.

Having said that the F1 engines are getting smaller and smaller and the electric ones bigger I think soon they will be having 50cc engines just for the noise and have the cars running on electrics.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

I was at the fos at goodwood a few weeks back, the E is a quick car, but the no sound really confuses the brain as it goes past, almost slows it down. Think it needs a few more years development and maybe a fake exhaust note.

i rekon they ought to get one of their mums clothes pegs and a bit of cardboard and clip it to the wheels for a more realistic noise..........

I found formuala e more interesting than formula 1 due to the different rules and the capabilities/limitations of the new technology. The commentators were quite funny too especially the one who got sidetracked when the camera switched to one of the pit crew girls! Also, I liked the way they had people blowing loud whistles when a car was entering the pit lane to alert others they were coming in as the cars are almost silent. A low tech solution to a high tech problem. Will be interesting seeing how formula e progresses, which is weird because I am not a supporter of too much technology in cars as I think drivers should be in control of their vehicles. I contradict myself.

watch a bit of it at the weekend and thought it was pants.I used to do F1 for years but that's now full of cry babies.If they can't win they go running to the Stewart's.Better value for money is BTC and GT championships.You couldn't give my an F1 ticket theses days.

I was at the fos at goodwood a few weeks back, the E is a quick car, but the no sound really confuses the brain as it goes past, almost slows it down. Think it needs a few more years development and maybe a fake exhaust note.

Agree with you.

If they would put the cars on real tracks, instead of street circuits, I think it would be a very good series.

I understand the thought process - street circuits keep the cars closer, to each other and the fans... but there's not much overtaking or excitement. Once you get over the lack of noise and accept it is something different, it is watchable.

Itl be interesting to see it develope.

The cars are quick as SE pointed out one went up the hill at Goodwood pretty swiftly.

In terms of technology the motors will come on in leaps and bounds so they will get faster very quickly, just look at the Zero class bikes at the IoM TT

So from an engineering standpoint it is quite interesting.

I have only watched a bit of one race and thought is was duller than modern formula one which is saying something...

Not sure why they don't race on full width tracks to get more overtaking though?