Semi Auto Cartridge Solution

finreid

Had my first day with a semi auto yesterday - loved it and soft on the shoulder and easy to load in the hide etc. etc.

Only gripe is the splaying cartridges all over the place, which is a bit of a pain to clear up, especially as most seemed to end up in the hedge behind me.

Its a problem I can live with, but I wonder if anyone has come up with a good solution? I've seen the boxes and nets on the site but that doesn't do it for me.

I heard someone mention a magnet on the side which caught the empty cases - can't find anything about it on line.

I'm all ears!

maybe a few coils off the spring, never tried it myself but people say it works.

would not advise if gun is under warranty.

If you shorten the operating spring the cases will travel even further because the ejection process will be more violent and the recoil maybe excessive.

Further the gun may not load the next cartridge properly because the operating spring is less powerful.

Vic.

hello, another interesting post, there are cart catchers and deflectors so what would work best, i see some use a rubber band, i think most on here would not want a little bag on the side of your auto but just to deflect onto the ground in the hide, something to fit on gun but be strong enough to withstand an ejected cart, the gadget Ips mentioned is quite big and some you have to use screws to fix, how about a strong material taped to the side that you flick out the way on loading and back over the injection port, would that work??? or use sticky back velcro ?

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Exactly my thoughts opp, stout canvas and maybe experiment with weights in the hem

hello, so i am not daft in my idea Mr C :lol: just sent mail to our good members mel and Lin, as you might know lin is a wizz at making canvas and leather shooty items and mel has been making some nice things to as per his recent post, will wait to hear what they say, :good:

I have done no little work on this, as I lamp from the back of a pickup regularly over permissions where scattering empties is verboten.

The "bag on the side" type works, but supporting it at the right distance is tricky. Mounting off a weaver rail works, but the mounts get in the way.

Mounting off the side of the receiver works, but needs tapped holes in the side of the receiver.

The magnet type is difficult to make work - catching clay loads is easy enough, but with any heavier loads, I found that to catch them reliably required a large volume and hence weight of magnets, even using neodymium magnets.

I like the idea of the weighted canvas flap, but suspect it would cause jamming of ejected cases.

A thought had flouted across the vacuum, of making a deflector with Kydex - a thermoplastic material used for making, among other things, holsters and knife scabbards. Moulds to shape while hot, and when cooled has a good spring to it. I have some left over from another project lurking in the Box of Useful Items, so will have a tinker once life calms down a bit in August.

Edited by CaptainBeaky

hello, so i am not daft in my idea Mr C :lol: just sent mail to our good members mel and Lin, as you might know lin is a wizz at making canvas and leather shooty items and mel has been making some nice things to as per his recent post, will wait to hear what they say, :good:

Hiya gents. I'm not honestly sure if we could make a deflector ,but, it's certainly worth think about ,I've not owned many semi autos so I'm not over familiar with them. Sticking anything to the action might cause damage to the finish ,and I believe that they're an alloy ,so magnets wouldn't work.ill have a think gents ,if anyone has any ideas ,feel free to shout up.

Hiya gents. I'm not honestly sure if we could make a deflector ,but, it's certainly worth think about ,I've not owned many semi autos so I'm not over familiar with them. Sticking anything to the action might cause damage to the finish ,and I believe that they're an alloy ,so magnets wouldn't work.ill have a think gents ,if anyone has any ideas ,feel free to shout up.

hello mel, not worried about my semi auto Franchi A L 48, i think sticky tape velcro on side action and the holding strip on material ? will have a look at the semi later and give you and idea of size, sticky tape velcro can be used many times and will clean off with white spirit and just replaced

I have never seen any gadgets to catch cases,and can not see anything being effective.

Semi Autos need to clear the case they do throw them about, but you can usually find most of them.

I do lose a few and in the ten Bore i dont want to lose any whatsoever but some you cant find them.

Just spend a few mins at packing up time to clear your position i feel thats all anyone can expect you to do.

The gadget I remember from about twenty years ago at least was not that cumbersome from what I remember. It was a sort of thin spring steal thing that just flicked the shell downwards. I have no idea how it attached but it wasn't that obtrusive from memory.

I could of course be dreaming the whole thing in which case I need to design it and go on dragons den 😁

I can remember a few years ago a friend of mine used to wrap a piece of fencing wire around the action of his remmy 1100 . He had it so tuned that the empties would eject ,hit the piece of wire and fall at his feet . Didn't look very nice but it worked .

Harnser

The gadget I remember from about twenty years ago at least was not that cumbersome from what I remember. It was a sort of thin spring steal thing that just flicked the shell downwards. I have no idea how it attached but it wasn't that obtrusive from memory.

I could of course be dreaming the whole thing in which case I need to design it and go on dragons den

hello, try doing a seach on google ? i just put in semi auto cartridge deflector and lots of pages came up.

I could of course be dreaming the whole thing in which case I need to design it and go on dragons den

hello, was it the birchwood casey save it 12 guage semi auto gadget like on amazon?