snairing

Matt.Tsk

Wear gloves when your setting the snare, although I find it doesn't really matter about scent i have set snares with my bare hands before and still caught foxes.

You need to find a fox run or pad, if you follow it and come to a fence that it goes under you should be able to see fox fur on the wire if its a fox that is using it. Now you can attach the snare to the fence but it may wreck the fence when you catch a fox. Make sure that when the snare is set that the snare is steady between slip pins (i use hazel branches split down the middle and the snare set on them).

Also if you set the snare on a fence make sure you block other runs with either snares or bits of branches so that the fox can't get through on a different run.

Always check the snares at least once a day and always carry a shotgun to dispatch humanly.

I hope this has been helpful :lol: , if you have anymore questions don't hesitate to ask.

all the best Ollie

Set a snare in every run you can find through a fence or hedge.

You may catch in the first ones you set, but quite often he will start using one that you never noticed or a new one. Set a snare in the new one and chances are you will catch in one of the first ones you set. Tie the snare to something with a bit of give, so that brock won't break the string if you catch him. Take a heavy sack with you in case you catch a cat!

You can stick a small piece of bramble upright in the run to give you an idea of what animal is using the run by pulling off a sample of hair.

Don't forget that deer prefer to get under something, rather than jump over it!

Bury your snares for a few days to give them some natural smell.

Youngs of Misterton used to sell some stuff to put on your hands while setting snares. I think it had an aniseed base.

If you don't want to wake the neighbours, a blow on the head with a peck shaft will kill most things.

Yeh but rjimmer have you ever tried to despatch a fox in a corner with a stick?

Its very snappy or sorry nasty work :lol: , He isn't the most pleased of customers whenever he sees you (understandably enough).

I think that smell doesn't really matter too much, I have always set snares with my bare hands and the numbers of foxes caught in the last two years have been collosile, but wear gloves if you feel you need to.

If you don't have enough snares other runs can be blocked up, with branches or whin bushes.

You can take a lamp of your land at night and if you see a fox you can maybe establish what runs he is using.

I've never bothered about smell either, but you could try emtying your bladder in the runs you haven't got enough snares for, as an experiment.

I think it keeps charlie away from Larsen traps!

One blow on the head with a peck shaft will kill most things. Undo the string/rope and hold it high at arms length while hitting him with the timber in the other hand.

You don't have to shoot everything!

How are you going to kill it if you want a good skin?

I'll let you think about that one.

I've never done hardly any of it. Myxamatosis arrived just as I was at an age when I would have been getting interested in it.

Find a run in grass and there will be places that wilfred allways jumps, set the snare so that he hits it in mid air about the width of your hand off the ground, I think. Use a split stick to set the height.

You don't have to shoot everything!

How are you going to kill it if you want a good skin?

I'll let you think about that one.

Not everyone wants a good skin and if a fox gets hold of you with his teeth he will lock on as a mate of mine in the past realised :lol: .

Your method for killing them with a stick is sound enough but you need experience, I have did it in the past and I would rather not do it.

For snaring rabbits hammergun, I'm not very experienced at it but I would say the same sort of method would work, Find a run along a fence and resize the snare to fit it, but as I say I'm not very experienced at it so don't take my word for it.

Guest Mr Pieman

Col Pol,

for all the time, fuss and stuff needed I'd recommend just buying som

Sounds terribly lazy but sometimes the hassle just ain't worth it :lol:

PP

I think that PP is right about it hardly being worth making your own.

However you can get components here: Solway Feeders

rjimmer, I would suggest that in these times of increased scrutiny of all areas of country sports, particularly snaring, that to use anything other than a suitable firearm to dispatch snared foxes is foolhardy.

Q :lol:

Col Pol:

You are the second person to ask me that question in 2 days. I am making some phone calls today and tommorow for some pricing if you are interested let me know.

Anyone interested in reading some sound advice about snaring and seeing some teaching pics on how to set them check out the ferreting form on moochers. There is a welth of info on there.

If i am not mistaken self locking snares are now illegal here.

Theres a lot of things thats illegal, we still do them. lol

About rabbit snares, set them 6.5" off the ground. use a wire tealer to hold in position, Bray peg in the deck with a hammer.

Set thesnare in the middle of the beat (which i think, is what you call the little tuft of grass that the bunnies jump over)

Guest Mr Pieman

RH,

at the risk of sounding rude you post stuff that is SO stupid i wonder if you are hitting keys with your toes - as you must be in an institution in a straightjacket. Stop being a tw*t please. Its starting to really annoy me. :<

You do so much damage to our sport/livelihoods every time you make such stupid statements.

PP