snairing

Matt.Tsk

If its been made illiagl and you do it, you are a criminal.

How does that sound to you RH, your sixteenish, and your a criminal.

If you do it, serves you right if you get caught, and I bloody well hope you do - for simply being such a fool as to posting it. There is the possiblilty that we all do illeagel things, some may drink drive, some may take drugs, some may speed, some may have been involed in petty theft. What is the point in saying "I did such and such, here is a photo and my adress. Plus all you antis reading this, why not quote me and ban snaring all together" (not to mention that this month snareing has been in the press) Frankly I dont care if you use locking snares, I don't agree with them, but dont preach to the world about breaking the rules!

I dont me to jump at you, but it seems to be the only way to get ones point across.

Normally you seem to have some sense RH.

Dont mean to be a b@stard, bt as they say; everyone to themselves.

TC as an example, you are out long-netting one night, you see 60+ rabbits in a field, that you dont have permission to be one; do you do it? As long as you dont use the light, no1 wil be any the wiser.

As far as police goes, they stop by the side of the road when they see the lamp then look about the field with a fairly **** spotlight, we just get ourselves back of the dyke and dont get seen.

As i say, dont mean to be a b@stard

Dont mean to be a b@stard, bt as they say; everyone to themselves.

TC as an example, you are out long-netting one night, you see 60+ rabbits in a field, that you dont have permission to be one; do you do it? As long as you dont use the light, no1 wil be any the wiser.

As far as police goes, they stop by the side of the road when they see the lamp then look about the field with a fairly **** spotlight, we just get ourselves back of the dyke and dont get seen.

As i say, dont mean to be a b@stard

RH, he may do. But he doesnt tell every one.

The idea that free running snares are more humane, is reasonable. The animal will almost strangle itself and pass out. The noose will then become slack and he will be able to breath again. When he comes round they are expected to stay quiet until someone finds them. That's the theory, anyway. A snare with a stop on it, will not render the animal unconcious, so it continues to do itself harm by flailing about. Self-locking snares are seen as inhumane because they might catch the animal around the waist. Badgers seem to get their head and one front leg through, quite often. You can quite often release any non-target animal from a free-running snare with little damage to it.

Of course, if the animal has allready jumped over a fence or branch, with a free-running noose around it's neck, it's done for. You don't then have to upset the neighbours, in the garden next door, with a gunshot!

I think free running snares are the only legal ones now!

Have you ever tried to get a badger out of a snare rjimmer? I don't like the thought of it.

As for the thoery of the fox staying quiet until someone finds it is so true. Last year I was checking the snares one day and I saw a fox in one and it wasn't moving so I presumed it was dead and as I went to reach for the snare the plonker jumped up (I dirtied them at that point) and recieved a 7 1/2 to the head. Believe it or not in that same day the exact same thing happened with another fox.

Have you ever tried to get a badger out of a snare rjimmer? I don't like the thought of it.

When I was doing it a bit, badgers weren't on the protected list and we were selling the skins.

Ever skinned a badger?

Ever eaten a badger?

I had one in a roadside hedge once. It had got caught around the waist so is had four wheel drive, so to speak. There was about 5 cwt of earth in the road. I untied the string from the bush stump it was attached to and there I was with the end of the string held at arms length trying to hit it on the head with a peck axe handle in the other hand. Good job ot wasn't a full grown one. I wouldn't have been able to lift it off the ground at arms length.

Good job the road was closed at the time for some drainage work to be done.

Think I need to clarify a few things here:-

Firstly, the surelock thingy if set up INCORRECTLY turns your snare into an illegal item.

Secondly, I have checked the legal status and to use such components in the correct manner is completely legal hence my request for help.

Thirdly, I will not and do not condone any illegal activities by anyone when in pursuit of our sport: I dont do it period. I value my tickets too much for that.

So can anyone help?

Col Pol

Col Pol

DMD C locks appear to run $3.50 a dozen

Cam Locks between $6.50 and $8.25 dozen

Slide locks $4.00 a dozen

How ever try this site :

http://www.trapperman.com/trapperman/making_snare.html

If that link doesn't work go to http://www.trapperman.com follow down the homepage to trap sets then under Misc. you will find making snares. This thread shows how to make washer locks , with the proper offset holes etc. worth having a look at.

Hope this helps....Cheers

Thirdly, I will not and do not condone any illegal activities by anyone when in pursuit of our sport: I dont do it period. I value my tickets too much for that.

So can anyone help?

Col Pol

Who was commenting on doing anything illegal? Most of the people on here I think are law binding citizens so I think your preaching to the minority, I don't mean to offend.

Col Pol, you might also want to try phoning Solway, I deal with them a fair bit and always find them very helpful. They produce their own snare with a "rocking eye" which doesn't appear on the website. I would be surprised if they can't supply you with their "rocking eyes".

Q :D

Thanks Q (sounds very James bondish huh? :P )

I did have quite a conversation with them, they told me they know what it is and that they have been trying for ages to source the part I need but to no avail.

Ollie:

I was just making my position very clear as the part I am looking for if added incorrectly makes the snare a locking snare which is illegal in the UK but set the other way it is legal, it difficult to explain.

I didn't take offence

Thanks guys

Ollie:

I was just making my position very clear as the part I am looking for if added incorrectly makes the snare a locking snare which is illegal in the UK but set the other way it is legal, it difficult to explain.

I didn't take offence

Thanks guys

sorry col pol I may have took that up the wrong way :*)

No problem if yu need any more advice just ask. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,bore the backside of you again.Young's of misterton (gamekeepers supplies) for all links and clips on fox wires. Bowden cable can be obtained on the roll from a good spares dealer (automotive).Any thickness you want it is what they use for throttle and choke cables.Hope this helps.