Snapped screw in scope mount

Lloyd90

Taking off the scope mounts of a scope I want to put on my 22lr and after taking out 3 of the 4 screws on the top I go to take out the 4th screw and half of the head of it snaps!!

I can't seem to get the final screw out now :( anyone got any ideas?

Taking off the scope mounts of a scope I want to put on my 22lr and after taking out 3 of the 4 screws on the top I go to take out the 4th screw and half of the head of it snaps!!

I can't seem to get the final screw out now :( anyone got any ideas?

If they are not expensive mounts, just drill the the rest of the screw head with a suitable sized drill bit.

If they are not expensive mounts, just drill the the rest of the screw head with a suitable sized drill bit.

I was just about to do that Steve but thought I'd wait and see what others suggested before I wreck the mounts 😂

I was given them for free from a kind member off here and no longer need them so it's the drill they're getting!!

I was just about to do that Steve but thought I'd wait and see what others suggested before I wreck the mounts 😂

I was given them for free from a kind member off here and no longer need them so it's the drill they're getting!!

I did it with one of my mounts, and managed to get them apart, with only a bit of the coating coming off.

In future, before you risk snapping any drills, try cutting a screwdriver slot in the top of the threaded section. I use a small hand parting off tool but something similar can be made from an old hacksaw blade. Grind it to an angle of about 60deg, keep it cool so you don't draw the hardness out of it. Then use it like an engraving tool taking very small cuts across the top in one direction then the other. Very soon you'll have a deep enough slot to get a screwdriver in. If that fails then by all means get heavy handed with the drill.

In future, before you risk snapping any drills, try cutting a screwdriver slot in the top of the threaded section. I use a small hand parting off tool but something similar can be made from an old hacksaw blade. Grind it to an angle of about 60deg, keep it cool so you don't draw the hardness out of it. Then use it like an engraving tool taking very small cuts across the top in one direction then the other. Very soon you'll have a deep enough slot to get a screwdriver in. If that fails then by all means get heavy handed with the drill.

Thank you mate, will keep in mind for the future, I think most mounts now take an allen key rather than screw driver so less likely to happen again.

You could always shoot it off

Before anyone gets very serious and writes reams and reams about what a bad idea that would be...I am obviously only joking. How would he manage to shoot the mount that's on his gun

Don't be so silly Ben, You know I'd bloody miss lol

Manage to snap one of the smaller drill bits lol but after a good few minutes it's apart and the old mounts are unfortunately in the bin!

It might be sensible to retrieve the old mounts back out of the bin. If you have another mishap another day the good parts might get you out of trouble and the screws can be used if you drop one or more. Still you could always treck to the shop and buy another set of mounts if it happens again on the day you want to go shooting.