What chokes for clays in 20bore ?

Salop Matt

Shot my first propper round of clays tonight with my 20bore. Its choked half and half with teagues. What i hit was dust/powder but i also missed a fair few that last week with my 12bore and 3/8ths chokes i broke nicely but alot more of them.

So 20bore users whats your choking of choice ?

Guest cookoff013

Shot my first propper round of clays tonight with my 20bore. Its choked half and half with teagues. What i hit was dust/powder but i also missed a fair few that last week with my 12bore and 3/8ths chokes i broke nicely but alot more of them.

So 20bore users whats your choking of choice ?

with much respect salop....

what cartridge are you using?

what load, shotsize, speed etc.

that you have and what we know are two different things.

if you are shooting 24-5g loads (thats the oldn 7/8oz loads) then certainly pattern them, i`m betting shotsizes really play a part as well as choke.

if you are a betting man i would certainly recomend full / full and #9 as a starting point to then start opening out until you get the representative patterns or breaks at distance....

maybe have a punt !

Matt,

Tuesday was a stiff test , 1/4 or 1/2 choke is ideal with modern cartridges , you just need to get familiar with it , use it exclusively until you realise that maybe it isn't for you .

On the other hand a few weeks use and it may turn out to be wonderful . Make sure it fits correctly (no compromise) , then get used to it.

Matt,

Tuesday was a stiff test , 1/4 or 1/2 choke is ideal with modern cartridges , you just need to get familiar with it , use it exclusively until you realise that maybe it isn't for you .

On the other hand a few weeks use and it may turn out to be wonderful . Make sure it fits correctly (no compromise) , then get used to it.

Cheers Pete, last week I did a 38/50 with my 12bore on that course which I enjoyed. I will stick with the 20 for plenty of practise and getting used to so little recoil. This week I put in a 23/50 with the 20. Fit feels to me identical and good maybe it's just in my mind!

ATB

Matt