Electrician hourly rates

Wiggum

Well I have 2 friends that are self employed sparks and one charges £40p/h and the other £37.50. Like they say they have to cover there costs, travelling, insurances, time quoting, put money away for illness holiday etc, tax, NI. After all that taken out they reckon there take home hourly rate is in the region of £20

That sounds a sensible rate, it will get you in the door and you can up it incrementally over the next year or so.

Out of interest are you going to be relying on one or two contracts were you will be putting weeks or months of work in or are you going to be doing the odd Joe public rewiring type job ?

Blooming eck! I graft my *** off and get just over £200 a week 😄

Well, don't take this the wrong way because you are a decent bloke, but the only person stopping you earning the same is yourself.

Also, are you on your knees most of the day, drilling into hidden asbestos or breathing fibreglass in?

Trust me, it's not the best of jobs.

Well, don't take this the wrong way because you are a decent bloke, but the only person stopping you earning the same is yourself.

Also, are you on your knees most of the day, drilling into hidden asbestos or breathing fibreglass in?

With respect you should not be drilling anywhere until you have checked the asbestos register. Unless your talking domestic in which case yes its a hell of a job

With respect you should not be drilling anywhere until you have checked the asbestos register. Unless your talking domestic in which case yes its a hell of a job

Yes, I'm talking domestic, but even commercial and industrial still has its own hazards ( not necessarily asbestos).

That sounds a sensible rate, it will get you in the door and you can up it incrementally over the next year or so.

Out of interest are you going to be relying on one or two contracts were you will be putting weeks or months of work in or are you going to be doing the odd Joe public rewiring type job ?

It will probably be 75% domestic house bashing and 25% commercial as a friend is site manager for 3 Vauxhall dealerships and has offered me the Electrical maintenance and installation work for them.

It will probably be 75% domestic house bashing and 25% commercial as a friend is site manager for 3 Vauxhall dealerships and has offered me the Electrical maintenance and installation work for them.

I'd say £50 for the first hour (unless it's a quick job like resetting an RCD) and £30 per hour after that, and £40 per hour for the commercial stuff. The main thing is to set your prices and stick to them. It's no good being busy and not earning anything.

Edited by proud dad

I'd say £50 for the first hour (unless it's a quick job like resetting an RCD) and £30 per hour after that, and £40 per hour for the commercial stuff. The main thing is to set your prices and stick to them. It's no good being busy and not earning anything.

This

As a joiner we work on £30 an hour and have more kit than any sparks could possibly buy.

Covered in **** all day and live in dust.

We've tried to £40 and we're shot down.

Our over heads are pure madness .

We've just spent another £100,000 on more kit again.

I think some are just full of greed unfortunately .

Any trade self employed is £140-180 around here in the midlands.

£30/hr now but when I started out I aimed lower to get off the ground so to speak (£20/hr 4 years ago). Put it up every year to get inline with what I know competitors charge, bigger companies with greater overheads will often charge more and can be dependant on the type of work you're doing. It's not at much as it sounds, everyone saying it's expensive etc etc, lots of hidden costs (registration fees, insurances, paperwork time) and I don't earn that 8 hours a day 5 days a week. Amazing how much time is spent on things that aren't chargeable, quoting / liaising with clients etc. I'm in the south west, Bath/Bristol area.

Edited by Wilts#Dave

Sparks down here are anywhere between £25 - £40 per hour dependant on experience and wether it's domestic or contract work.

I'm a recently self employed maintenance man, my flat rate is £20 per hour and I get about 95 percent of the jobs I quote on... my hourly rate will be going up again next year. 🖒

Asbestos no! At least not that I know of, but while sweeping there is clouds of dust that is inevitably inhaled. Some of that is concrete dust that has been eaten away by sulphuric acid.

As for earning more, I don't think I would qualify for a sparks or gas fitters course as my mathematic skills are ****. Never was a mathematician. But fairly good at creating things.

depends if your going to be a switch on walk away pub spark chancer or jump through the all the hoops,fees and paper work that goes with part p.

in which case for £20 hr you might as well go and work for someone else.

Edited by Remimax

My sparks charges £20 hr day work or bases jobs on £40 a socket etc.

Gas eng is £27 hr

Generally subs are earning 140-170 a day a few good ones on more,thats about what i charge a day + margin on top + margin on materials which adds up to a comfortable living.