Remington 11-87 problem!!

Lloyd90

Right so I bought my 11-87 on 27/4 this year from a trade member on here, due to being very busy (and all the usual excuses) I haven't had a chance to get out shooting until today.

Now all was going well, I was hitting clays well, gun seemed a good fit and was cycling well until one failure to feed. I cleared the jam but then noticed the gun wouldn't then push the bolt forward.

I can manually push the bolt forward and backwards, the gun will fire (firing pin clicks etc) when bolt has been manually cycled but when I press the button on the loading port (which normally shoots the bolt forward and loads a cartridge, nothing happens. What ever pushed the bolt forward has either come off or broken I think.

1) any ideas on fixing it?

2) if it is a serious problem will the gunshop have to get it sorted? Or am I ******** because it's a second hand gun and I also waited a while to use it?

This is genuinely the first time I've used it since purchase.

I had the gun sent to my local RFD so I'm hoping it's just a simple fix.

Thanks

Lloyd

Strip it down & check the "wishbone" recoil spring guide on the rear of the bolt.

Had mine break before as they're a known wesk spot.

Replace the recoil spring too.

The 1100 models are easy to work on....BUT if the recoil spring isn't replaced every 10, 000 shots or so you can end up with a cracked receiver through bolt slam.

Any reputable dealer should sort the problem for you ,even if you had used it a lot... less than 3 months isnt long i wouldnt mess with it yourself ,contact the dealer and see what his attitude is, if he is indifferent to the problem just let us all know where it came from and we will be able to avoid him in the future.

Have you had the trigger unit out of the gun and pulled the trigger...if so this can bend the carrier latch , it can be straightened with needle nose pliers

Always keep the safety on when the trigger unit is removed or , if you have to , pull trigger while holding the hammer with your thumb and lower it..

It will most probably be the Fork Wishbone link Saddler mentioned , Just watch videos on stripping these 1100s 1187s they are not complicated you will be able to see how simple they are to strip, They are designed to be disassembled rottenly.

Loads of videos on youtube. the first one off the list.

Two pins push out....trigger assembly drops out....as will any broken parts.

Worth 30 seconds?

I've emailed the seller but will probably watch the YouTube video and give it a go just to see if I can easily diagnose the problem. If it is the wishbone piece you suggest is that an easy fix?

It will most probably be the Fork Wishbone link Saddler mentioned , Just watch videos on stripping these 1100s 1187s they are not complicated you will be able to see how simple they are to strip, They are designed to be disassembled rottenly.

Loads of videos on youtube. the first one off the list.

https://youtu.be/_wOSz87E8uo

Thank you mate, I was thinking YouTube would have plenty of videos to help :)

I could be wrong , but from experience , if the link comes out of the spring tube the bolt is locked forward and jams

I would go with a fault with the trigger unit...again , could be wrong , but it would be the first thing i would look at

Simple to remove , push out the two pins and pull down from the rear...you will soon see if the link is broken

Reassembly , feed latch in first and pull up at rear ...only fiddly problem you may have is if the shell stop has become unstaked , then you need three hands

Mu first 1100 had a broken wishbone that the previous owner "fixed" by welding....it still worked but I just got a new one online from the US.

Not even a ten minute job to replace.....and DO look at a new recoil spring which I mentioned too (only a few $ but can save the gun from being scrap value)

The wishbone appears to be fine,

1) there appears to be a shotgun shell primer that came out of a cartridge during shooting and went back into the action

2) this piece of metal is loose/come out at the moment, it is the only thing that the guy on the video doesn't seem to remove and the only big difference I can see between mine and his, it appears to go on the side that the ejection port is on and has a slight curve in it, do I just put it back where it should be? One of the Pins that holds the trigger unit in goes through the hole on it

IMG_7893.jpg

It might be the case that the shotgun cartridge primer was blocking the shotgun cycling? I have to figure how to get it all back together now and will see it it's cycling 😂

Awaiting replies on the picture of that loose rod first though

That is the shell stop and has become unstaked from its slot inside the receiver...no great problem

Put it in its slot with the holes lined up and put the tip of an electrical screwdriver only just through hole..

Guide the trigger unit in gently and if you can use the screwdriver to roughly locate it..jiggle the holes into place and tap the pins in..

Dont waste money having it restaked...not cheap, and you can marr the receiver if you try other methods

A common fix is clean it up and degrease, and its slot, and then superglue it in place while clamped flat and left to dry..you must clamp as the shell stop is slightly curved

My 1100 stop has been loose since i first stripped it , bought in 1978...the first time i had to reassemble it nearly sent me mad, hence i said earlier you need three hands...now i have the hang of it , it flies in...

Edited by TDS

Fixed it!!!!!

Woohoo!!!

As suspected when the issue happened at the time, a primer had somehow come out of a cartridge and fallen back into the action, now removed and seems to be cycling fine :)

Many thanks as always to the brilliant support of pigeon watch as it now (appears) to be sorted!! Woohoo!!

I've got to email the sellers now and apologise 😂😂

Shell stop latch....fits lower on the receiver near the mag tube.

SHOULD be held in place ideally (peened over)

A loose primer in the action could be the culprit!

Yes mine was loose when I took it out although a good push and it's somewhat firmly held back in and problem sorted, many thanks for yours and others help :)

less than 3 months isnt long i wouldnt mess with it yourself ,contact the dealer and see what his attitude is, if he is indifferent to the problem just let us all know where it came from and we will be able to avoid him in the future.

A bit quick off the mark. Gun was working fine, so just how would the dealer know it would soon break?

A bit quick off the mark. Gun was working fine, so just how would the dealer know it would soon break?

I've had to send the dealer an apology as although I had politely emailed them to aske what to do, it was nothing to do with the gun at all so sent my apologies anyways.

Before I managed to send my apology the seller contacted me and offered to for me to send the gun to them and they would fully repair any issues and get it back to me.

I am happy to name them now (DP Arms) as fair play you couldn't ask for better than that 👍🏻 I just feel bad now that I didn't get my apology off before they read my email 🤦‍♂️

Before I managed to send my apology the seller contacted me and offered to for me to send the gun to them and they would fully repair any issues and get it back to me.

I am happy to name them now (DP Arms) as fair play you couldn't ask for better than that I just feel bad now that I didn't get my apology off before they read my email ‍♂️

no need to feel bad about the email ...you sent a message and got the right response shows a good honest and trustworthy dealer that you can reccommend to everyone ,if it hadnt been the primer and you had ripped it to pieces on the advice that you had got for link replacement, spring tube link or bent carrier latch then what would they have said ? Its good to communicate well done for sorting it and well done DP Arms for answering promptly and saying all the right things.

...if it hadnt been the primer and you had ripped it to pieces on the advice that you had got for link replacement, spring tube link or bent carrier latch then what would they have said ? ....

I didn't notice anyone suggesting ripping the gun to pieces.

Basic diagnostic trouble shooting quickly sorted the problem & saved a few quid in shipping; plus red faces when a loose primer dropped onto the workbench.

You DO have first hand experience of this particular make & model I take it? If so you'll KNOW how easy they are to work on....so easy that NOT checking the basics before returning to an RFD is a logical first stage.

I didn't notice anyone suggesting ripping the gun to pieces.

Basic diagnostic trouble shooting quickly sorted the problem & saved a few quid in shipping; plus red faces when a loose primer dropped onto the workbench.

You DO have first hand experience of this particular make & model I take it? If so you'll KNOW how easy they are to work on....so easy that NOT checking the basics before returning to an RFD is a logical first stage.

ok correct "ripping to pieces" bad choice of phrase admitted , but if an internal part had been worn out ,broken or damaged ,many dealers would be reluctant to touch it if you had had it in pieces ! you know its true ...same as any product it invalidates the warranty that it may have had ,common sense not rocket science.

Luckily the primer was the problem so in this case no harm done and the dealer was fine with sorting any problems so why take the risk.

A timeless well proven classic ,a joy to own and easy to maintain.