cultivated rape............

ditchman

Have been watching 2 fields on the way to the shops.....they are rape and were harvested day before yesterday....at the end of the day pigeons were dropping in and stopping to feed...........about 150 on the big field and 50 odd on the small field opposite.....had the heavy rain last night....thought i would take a run over the big field to see what was about.....still very wet and the ground was up to the axels....must have put up 2-300 birds....they would lift off circle and drop back in again.............

phoned my mate and we are on for a session...(kiss of death).....magnet and all the shells to go out and the kitchen sink if i can find one...........

Have been watching 2 fields on the way to the shops.....they are rape and were harvested day before yesterday....at the end of the day pigeons were dropping in and stopping to feed...........about 150 on the big field and 50 odd on the small field opposite.....had the heavy rain last night....thought i would take a run over the big field to see what was about.....still very wet and the ground was up to the axels....must have put up 2-300 birds....they would lift off circle and drop back in again.............

phoned my mate and we are on for a session...(kiss of death).....magnet and all the shells to go out and the kitchen sink if i can find one...........

Have a goodun ditchman, hope you get on em. Expect a full report with pics.

Forget the kitchen sink, far too heavier load. :lol:

That's a typical day for me, spot them, set up, shoot/miss one then pack up as they never return.

We have so much tape in around here.

here we are first to harvest the rape...dont think the others will be harvesting till sat/sun....so we have a very small window of oppotunity ...

here we are first to harvest the rape...dont think the others will be harvesting till sat/sun....so we have a very small window of oppotunity ...

We've just finished ours, 30 acres left as I speak, looking like rain so might delay others.

Sounds like some rape is ready and the shootong can begin.. with regards to harvest of remaining rape. What do farmers do in harvest time when starts raining every day? Looking wet for next 10 days so was wondering how will play out

None of our Rape have been cut yet but they have done most of the winter barley which is over 300 acres , then on wet days the straw can come off and the field can be cultivated , also some of the spuds are ready to be lifted so there is no sitting about on the wet days wondering what to do next :yes:

I have two really daft questions (complete beginner here) been out for a walk around one of my fields tonight which has had the rape cut. Question 1 is what are they actually feeding on? Picking up some of the leftovers from the ground and it's just like straw...doesn't seem very appealing (although I'm not a pigeon) and question 2 is that I know stubble brings some better shooting but how long is it before the fields are ploughed thus getting rid of the stubble?.....don't mock me too much for asking these questions

I have two really daft questions (complete beginner here) been out for a walk around one of my fields tonight which has had the rape cut. Question 1 is what are they actually feeding on? Picking up some of the leftovers from the ground and it's just like straw...doesn't seem very appealing (although I'm not a pigeon) and question 2 is that I know stubble brings some better shooting but how long is it before the fields are ploughed thus getting rid of the stubble?.....don't mock me too much for asking these questions

Answer 1, there are no daft questions.

Q1, they feed on the rapeseed that has been knocked off the plants and not picked up by the combine.

Q2, depends, we direct drill very quickly, some farms will 'set aside' giving lots of shooting on volunteer plants. That's a hard question, you'll need to speak to your farmer.

Good luck

Sounds like some rape is ready and the shootong can begin.. with regards to harvest of remaining rape. What do farmers do in harvest time when starts raining every day? Looking wet for next 10 days so was wondering how will play out

If it's really hammering it down, clean machinery down, grease up, do any workshop jobs. Take the day off. If it's too wet to combine but alright for land work, crack on cultivating!

as kyska said THERE ARE NO DAFT QUESTIONS............so just keep asking away.....(we all get our leg pulled from time to time )....the whole idea of pigeonwatch is to learn and swap ideas......so get stuck in........ :good:

well it looks like tomorrow is on... :yahoo::yahoo: .....just checked the disced rape fields and on the small one is 10-15 birds...and on the large one twixt two spinneys numbers have built up well and we are looking at 300 odd birds.....i chased them off anf within 10 mins they where flighting in again.............so we will be setting up at about 10 oclock and will take it from there.........

We are all eagerly awaiting the outcome , let hope the weather stay dry for you tomorrow , as they forecast the risk of heavy showers in the afternoon . GOOD LUCK and I hope you both get a nice lot of shooting.

I am now going today in case it do rain tomorrow , if it stay dry , then I will out again and treat it as a bonus .

rain wont bother me tomorrow.....im taking the landy and leaving the rear open and covering it will a milatary cammo net so if it showers we can nip into the back and resume when it passes...........regardless what happens i will take some pics of the venue and how we set up ............. :good: