Cycle scheme

tikka.223

Given the poor 2nd hand prices realised compared to the cost new, while the Scheme has a lot of positive aspects (more folk out of cars, more cycle trips for shorter distances, etc.) I'd be more tempted to narrow down a few suitable makes/models - then look for those options on the 2nd hand market.

The major retailers also tend to have huge end of season price reductions so big savings can be had here on new models.

My employer used to do a sort of loan scheme (advance) that you could pay back over 12/24mths (deducted from you wage).You also had to present to payroll proof of purchase.Dont think anyone took advantage of it so they replaced it with a discount voucher scheme.It was with selected Cycle outlets like Evans Cycles.How it works was by purchasing a voucher(so you had to initially pull money out) for say £XXX for Evans Cycles.Then you present it at the store and get addition 10/15 or 20% depending on what offer they had with your employer.

Like others have said there are loads of great end of range deals with big savings or even good 2nd hand bikes.There are also loads of stores doing 0% deals with 10% deposits.

I have a Giant that I picked up for £200 that some bloke bought but never rode.The wife's GT is 18yrs old and in mint condition.I used to have a Trek that I bought with my wife's.It to was mint,but some scum bag pinched it 2yrs ago when I was in the Co-op.Get your bike serviced annually and it will serve you for years.

post-30855-0-31917100-1500502497_thumb.jpg

post-30855-0-58492800-1500502572_thumb.jpg

Edited by Davyo

Good advice Davyo, think my bike was around £1100 RRP but I waited until the week after they introduced all the new models for that year and got around £350 knocked off or something like that, always make a big savings if you can wait.

Looking at a 2016 model which is discounted, just wondering what it will cost me per month.