Jackdaws

Feltwad

It seems that once again it has been a good breeding season for jackdaws this last month there have been flocks of 100 plus hitting the barley plus the rooks they can clean off a good number of square yards in a day if not disturbed .They are easy to decoy but they come diving in in batches of 20 or more which can be confusing has to which one to shoot .Is these big numbers the same country wide and I would say these big numbers are mostly due to the several past mild winters

Feltwad

It seems that jackdaws do all kinds of damage in grain storage barns , they also follow the machine has it distributes feed to fat cattle pens . It was only a month ago that I was asked to shoot them on a free range poultry farm because they were going inside the poultry houses and helping themselves to the eggs.

Feltwad

Edited by Feltwad

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that once again it has been a good breeding season for jackdaws this last month there have been flocks of 100 plus hitting the barley plus the rooks they can clean off a good number of square yards in a day if not disturbed .They are easy to decoy but they come diving in in batches of 20 or more which can be confusing has to which one to shoot .Is these big numbers the same country wide and I would say these big numbers are mostly due to the several past mild winters

Feltwad

It's the same here in North Wales I shot record number of jacks and crows but never seem to have put a dent in there numbers.

I know the feeling, shot well over 150 between the hmr and shotgun but still hundreds more!

Exactly I shot 202 in one session and they were still coming but I had to get back home I had work on the farm to carry out.

There's no doubt it's been a prolific breeding season for them, don't ever remember in the past that many about as seen these days.

Keep at it mate and they will eventually start to dwindle. I had to shoot pushing 1000 off one farm over a couple of years to finally make a noticeable difference.

Hope so mate!! Farmer says im a **** shot yet sees the bags :lol: funny folk

Exactly I shot 202 in one session and they were still coming but I had to get back home I had work on the farm to carry out.

There's no doubt it's been a prolific breeding season for them, don't ever remember in the past that many about as seen these days.

On one of the fields of you fire it will near enough turn the sky black for a second or two, can't load fast enough :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You need to use a ladder trap..you will get hundreds in the trap...

Then the problem starts when you see the trap full .. you have to get in the trap to dispatch them and it's a bit like hitchcocks birds film

The problem being you could end up disturbed for life..it does get the numbers down quickly though

Edited by psycho