I know I'm going to get some Stick... Gamo Maxxim Elite

evolution380

Well I went and bought myself my first Air Rifle a couple of days ago and managed to get target shooting with it last night for 2.5 hours.

I know people hate Gamo and I should have spent extra for a Weihrauch however my priority is my shotgun and I didn't want to knock that budget down by spending more on an air rifle before I get my SGC and my first Browning / Miroku.

With me being new to Air Rifles too I just wanted a budget gun to learn with, I actually love it, its very fun and I will definately buy a high end air rifle as my skill increases but for now I can enjoy this and play about with it without worrying too much about it.

The reason for not spending more is I'll likely try for a Firearm Air Rifle in the future, invest the money there further down the line (permission willing) and pass this one on in the future.

But for now I'm going to enjoy target shooting and the occasional pest control.

So I picked up one of these in .177

http://www.countrywaygunshop.co.uk/product/gamo-maxxim-elite-mult-shot-177-22-spring-air-rifle/

Set up targets at 25 yards and was getting a nice consistent spread and got the scope zero'd in!

Hitting metal silhouette targets consistently at 35-40 yards with no bother too.

The multi shot system is of flimsy plastic build and clearly not the highest of quality I admit but it is more robust than it appears and works surprisingly well on a budget gun which is all i can ask of it.

This was from 25 yards my first time ever shooting. The wild ones which were missed big were me trying to change stance positions rather than a consistent seated position where I got a reasonably good grouping (for me).

Bigger holes in the block of wood are from my cousins .22

image1_9.jpg

Edited by evolution380

I won't be shooting any pests for a while until i consistently hit the target and get my group size much tighter. I'd never want to seriously wound and not instantly and humanely dispatch an animal, I'm very mindful of that.

I'm enjoying target shooting and will get a good few shooting hours under my belt before I even consider shooting a living creature, not to mention getting the relevant permissions.

In my defence though once I had my scope zerod and I adopted a comfortable position I was getting groups of 5/6 that would have been consistent kill shots, I was playing around a touch with this as we were there for 2.5 hours so I mixed up shooting positions, shooting style etc. so it doesn't actually do me many favours as some look like massive misses as a result and some of the shots I was seeing how quickly and efficiently shots could get fire off with the multi shot mechanism.

I just want to learn how to target shoot for now, get better and more consistent and go from there. Target shooting is great fun for me anyway and I can learn my limits in a safe environment!

Only problem DC177 is that the Weihrach I would have wanted with a good scope would have eaten massively into my shotgun pot of money which is my main priority at the moment. This serves my purpose for now and fits the budget for what I need, plus it's not like I am too advanced for the gun/scope at this point as I'm such a novice to air rifles. I just wanted something cheap and cheerful to get me at least shooting so I could learn and advance alongside busting clays.

I didn't even know if i'd lose interest with the Air Rifle eventually once my SGC comes through and I can clay shoot a lot more so I didn't want it to be too expensive of a mistake, however I don't feel that will be issue as target practice last night was a very much welcomed change of pace, therapeutic almost! I also have a friend who'd be happy to take it off my hands when I outgrow it. I do feel though that probably by spring next year I'll invest in a very nice Air Rifle it will be nice to be at a better skill level when I do so, so I can make a more educated decision on the gun choice.

Ultrastu

​It's actually quite impressive I didn't know what to expect but no issues last night with 150-200 pellets let off. You know when the mag is in properly as it makes a clicking noise although it doesn't sit flush as you'd expect. It is what it is, may not be the prettiest or highest quality but it works well and without issues so as to be expected for a gun in this budget really.

I was using superdome pellets, grouping more so down to me. I started off with being serious to get the scope zero'd and then had more and more fun as the evening continued so wasn't particularly trying to group on some of the shots.

Edited by evolution380

Must admit .i like the fast fire feature .

What pellets are useing as this can make a massive diference to your group size .

i agree.....spend a bit of money on some pellet packs.......at 25 yds ...supported you should be looking at 25mm groups until you get used to it...i spent quite a bit of money on different pellets until i found one that suits the barrell ......

You need a repeatable artillery hold to close the groups up.

Support the fore end in same place each time but not grip. Use a light grip on pistol grip with thumb vertical so you can't over tighten, pull lightly into your shoulder.

The secret with a springer is consistency.

A pellet to try is the Exact Diablo 8.44gr. I was advised to use these when I purchased my TX200 and I have not been disappointed. They are accurate and certainly will kill magpies and jackdaws stone dead at 30yrds. I have also found they fly well in windy situations we have had in the last few weeks where the hold off can be in inches.

Guest topshot_2k

What exactly is wrong with a Gamo?

They spend too much time marketing their gimmicky products rather than ensuring the quality is up to standard.

You need a repeatable artillery hold to close the groups up.

Support the fore end in same place each time but not grip. Use a light grip on pistol grip with thumb vertical so you can't over tighten, pull lightly into your shoulder.

The secret with a springer is consistency.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try this and concentrate on the groupings, I was trying things a million and one different ways previously and generally just pinging them off as I was quite excitable. Watched a few tutorials and realised I was making a fair few basic errors. Got to start somewhere but I'm here to learn so thank you!

So mean! I just figured the fella had been shooting away at same target for a good while, go on op shoot off another mag now you've settled everything in and post another pic, unless there still all over then don't

Haha I was outside on the range with my cousin for 2 hours so there was quite an element of this especially as it was my first time with the rifle. Once my cousin had helped me zero it I just got a bit trigger happy.

I'll be going again this week and will be using the indoor range so I'll get a proper spread from 20m and see how i do :lol:

Hi Evo380 , nothing wrong with Gamo airguns its just some people look down there noses

at them, never bothered me what other people think, i will be adding the Gamo maxxim to my

already large armoury very shortly it will be in .22 cal , lots of practise will get you on target,

,even after 40 + years of shooting i still carry out target shooting it keeps you sharp.

good luck with the Gamo, i shall be using mine on bunnies out to 30---40 yds , tree rats, roosting woodies.

atb brian

I had been using my 40 year old .177 CZ Relum springer successfully on rats and squirrels for years and bought a new, but cheap .22 Gamo 300, when offered some rabbit shooting. Being used to the light grip needed with a spring rifle, the Gamo served me well. It was only a single shot break barrel, but paid for itself in rabbits at the butchers. It was well engineered. I sold it as a trade in for a new .22 Webley Viper Venom PCP, which was and is an even deadlier piece of kit. Nothing wrong with Gamo.

i see yyour useing a wood backstop,a word of warning they bounce from wood,many years ago a mate did this with target on wooden back gate pellet bounced straight back and blinded him in one eye,

I have had this happen to me, and all I heard was the pellet whistle past my head, I was lucky it did not hit me.

• 4 years later...

I am brand new to air guns so wasnt sure what to buy. So off i went to my local shop i looked at all the different types and prices. Some were £1000's so what should i buy, luckily there were some serious gun enthusiasts in the shop at the time one was about to pay over £2000 for a gun. Now of course  the shop assistant wanted me to pay over £500 for a pcp but what about if i didn't enjoy shooting then im stuck with trying to sell it second hand. So i spoke to the customers there and they recommend the gamo maxim swarm whisper. They told me its ok not the best but its cheap and its a sound gun to start off with and if i get into the sport and  the shop will take it back in part exchange for a better gun. As i said earlier im new so im just having fun with it at the moment so it suits me well knowing that if i get fed up ive not lost much money but if i bet serious i can trade it in for better. So i hope this helps newbies better  to talk to gun enthusiasts than some shop assistants. Serious gun enthusiasts ignore this post.