mot /technician

supershot243

A cool £65k a year plus holidays pensions etc if on PAYE

Hate to think what you charge out at to be able to pay that.

Shame I'm not closer :lol:

A cool £65k a year plus holidays pensions etc if on PAYE

Hate to think what you charge out at to be able to pay that.

By worth commuting 😂

We doint have MOT technicians as such in this part of the UK, you can pay a garage to get it ready or do it yourself. You then take it to government MOT centre for the test, the easiest way to get your car trough the MOT is do the usual check the lights tires etc and take it to the test centre if it fails they will tell you what it failed on and you fix that and take it back cost around £20, no need to get a garage to check it saves a fortune. The mainland UK system seems open to abuse to me a garage can tell and charge you anything.

Driver & Vehicle Agency Northern Ireland.

post-45225-0-02955700-1500811339_thumb.jpg

Edited by ordnance

We doint have MOT technicians as such in this part of the UK, you pay a garage to get it ready or do it yourself. You then take it to government MOT centre for the test, the easiest way to get your car trough the MOT is do the usual check the lights tires etc and take it to the test centre if it fails they will tell you what it failed on and you fix that and take it back cost around £20, no need to get a garage to check it saves a fortune. The mainland UK system seems open to abuse to me a garage can tell and charge you anything.

That's no different to the mainland is it?

Don't have to do any of the work if you don't want them to.

I was just wondering how it worked in the mainland. As i said here you can just take it straight to the test if it passes great if not they will tell you what it failed on, you get that fixed take it back and that is all they will check and pass it, all it will cost the price of the retest £20 no need for garage check MOT technician etc.

Edited by ordnance

The difference between NI and rest of UK is that in NI MoT's are only done by the DVA Northern Ireland so they have no vested interest in finding work to generate profit unlike garages on the mainland UK that are licensed MOT test stations, many of whom have proven to have varying degrees of scruples.

Ordnance : here on mainland, If you leave a vehicle to be repaired at the garage/licenced test centre most of them will give a free retest, or if you take it away, repair and take back within a short time scale you get a reduced priced retest.

Edited by TaxiDriver

The difference between NI and rest of UK is that in NI MoT's are only done by the DVA Northern Ireland so they have no vested interest in finding work to generate profit unlike garages on the mainland UK that are licensed MOT test stations, many of whom have proven to have varying degrees of scruples.

Ordnance : here on mainland, If you leave a vehicle to be repaired at the garage/licenced test centre most of them will give a free retest, or if you take it away, repair and take back within a short time scale you get a reduced priced retest.

That's what i thought i knew there was some difference.

On the mainland you can also use the council test centres. Not garages, and only do tests, so they have no incentive to fail you. Of course, if there is a problem you can't fix yourself you have to take the car elsewhere to get it seen to.

That being the case why would anyone take their car to a private garage/ MOT centre that is in the business of making money, when they can get a check at a council run MOT centre for the cost of the test fee.

I suppose not everyone knows you can. Or if your car definitely does need work to pass it's worth taking it somewhere that can do the work. Or there are more garages than council test centres so there s likely to be a garage closer...

bang on the money , i work for the council , they have mot facilities to carry out taxi mot tests . they dont advertise the fact that theyre a testing station though.

Yep I always use my council test centre they are unbiased as they don't carry out repairs so will only highlight things of genuine concern.

I had a bad experience with a garage I'd used for many years taking the proverbial. I've later found at that MOT work fuelled their daily work so if they were quiet in the garage failures went up. Crooks.

They do make you wonder sometimes, my brother is a mech, works for Nissan so I know very little about cars, had two new tyres and tracking done this year, the place had started doing mot and I would get it cheaper as id had work done but they mentioned my brake lines? I had a look everything looked fine took car to my normal place for mot they never mentioned them? Does make you think.

They do make you wonder sometimes, my brother is a mech, works for Nissan so I know very little about cars, had two new tyres and tracking done this year, the place had started doing mot and I would get it cheaper as id had work done but they mentioned my brake lines? I had a look everything looked fine took car to my normal place for mot they never mentioned them? Does make you think.

May be..... but just because your usual place didn't flag them doesn't mean they're ok!

It could be the other garage would clean any light corrosion and apply water proof grease, curing the problem before it progressed. And may be your usual garage sees no immediate problem so does nothing until the pipes are to far gone to save.

Sometimes the corrosion can be just a very small area, an inch or two cleaned and greased could save changing the lot.