Rusty Browning barrels advice needed

weedraker

Nope! Proof is to do with bore diameter, pitting on the outside of the barrels does not affect proof.

I'm sure where the barrel has been compramised it will take it out of proof.

If they can be rescued by a competant gunsmith they will be sent off for re proof. I'm pretty sure I would want them to be.

Just one of the specifications from the original proof is the the bore diameter and that is probably not changed but the wall thickness has in the area that is the thinnest has ,The threads where multichoke insert has been machined , I am pretty sure that if sent to one of the proof houses it will fail proof on the visual inspection before any test firing.

Besides using the wall thickness test gear utilising a dial gauge rig any areas of pitting that the individual pits cannot be measured as the dial gauge ball is not fine enough an ultrasonic wall thickness unit will be used and that will pick up small pit defects.

Edited by Andy H

A shotgun barrel is 'out of proof'.........and requires submission for reproof.....and is consequently illegal to sell if.....

The bore diameter exceeds its measurement at proof by more than 10thou.

The chamber has been lengthened.

Subsequent to proof the barrel has had screw in chokes fitted.

It is proved only for black powder and nitro is intended to be used.

Assuming none of the above apply, the gun is still 'in proof' and as such legal to sell!

Internal and external pitting, dents, bulges, rivells etc in a barrel would more than likely result in a barrel being rejected on inspection, by the proofmaster........IF someone chose to submit it for reproof, but there is no legal obligation to do so!

That is my understanding!

ot a good idea to put people's contact details on an open forum. You might want to delete the post and message the OP directly.

Second that, that address needs removing ASAP. err i'd go banana's if that were my address on a public forum, esp with fraud going onall over and potential address of SGH holder and so forth

Edited by Pugs

Arms previously proved and bearing apparently valid proof marks are deemed unproved if the barrels have been enlarged in the bore beyond certain defined limits or if the barrel or action has been materially weakend in other respects.

This is from http://www.gunproof.com/Proofing/proofing.html

We are discussing barrels, actions are another matter! Can you please itemise what the proof house defines as "materially weakened in other respects"......I have done so in my posting #32

We are discussing barrels, actions are another matter! Can you please itemise what the proof house defines as "materially weakened in other respects"......I have done so in my posting #32

Andy H's quote says barrels or action materially weakened so it is relevant to the topic.

Andy H's quote says barrels or action materially weakened so it is relevant to the topic.

I beg to differ...the original posting (and what I was commenting on) was regarding rusty barrels on the particular gun in question, so material weaknesses in gun actions, in this instance are not relevant!

Edited by panoma1

• 4 months later...

Sorry for the delay but I thought I'd better update with the full story and ending,

I bought it from an online gun auction for a good price had it have been a good one! It only had a brief description, and I probably should have phoned for a condition report. They agreed the faults should have been listed and offered a refund, I asked for a partial refund and I'd get it fixed myself. So as several people recommended I contacted barrel blacker on here.

The guy is brilliant and done a fantastic job! See photos!

I now have a lovely gun at a good price.

IMG_5622.JPG

IMG_5624.JPG

9 minutes ago, weedraker said:

Sorry for the delay but I thought I'd better update with the full story and ending,

I bought it from an online gun auction for a good price had it have been a good one! It only had a brief description, and I probably should have phoned for a condition report. They agreed the faults should have been listed and offered a refund, I asked for a partial refund and I'd get it fixed myself. So as several people recommended I contacted barrel blacker on here.

The guy is brilliant and done a fantastic job! See photos!

I now have a lovely gun at a good price.

IMG_5622.JPG

IMG_5624.JPG

So the barrels didn't require submission for reproof after all? Well done for taking a punt and getting it back into nice condition....enjoy your new gun!