Semi auto advice

Delwint

Morning all, I'm in the market for a semi auto. I've never owned one and would like people's views on the best one to get. With opinions on reliability, make and barrel length, it will only be used for rough shooting and in the hide.

Atb Delwint

Hello, my vote is the Armsan if a gas auto, or a Franchi if a inertia system, 28 inch barrel and multi choke, the inertia requires less cleaning. my first was the Armsan after reading lots of info and advice from PW but i did go to a gun shop and try quite a few for fit and weight, that has gone to another PW member and i recently purchased a franchi off PW and very pleased with this one.

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Like most things it comes down to the size of your wallet, mid price I would go for the Franchi Affinity at about £700 with 7 year warranty , top of the price bracket I would go for a Beretta or Benelli. But these cost as much as a reasonable OU so the decision for me would be cost

If you search this forum for semi auto you won't be short of reading and opinions.

Armsan or Hatsan if new but I went with 2nd hand beretta. Stick to 70mm shells to avoid loading issues. (that last comment may be enough to cause an argument)

If you search this forum for semi auto you won't be short of reading and opinions.

Armsan or Hatsan if new but I went with 2nd hand beretta. Stick to 70mm shells to avoid loading issues. (that last comment may be enough to cause an argument)

Hello, Arguments on PW Mr C what ever next !!!!!!!!

Generally have a few slabs of 30/32g 6's in so load won't be a problem. Budgets not an issue but ideally £800-1000 I suppose, I could go higher if needed. But it doesn't have to be a mint gun just to then get knocked about in the hide. And I've put my tin hat on after your comment MrC hahaha

Cant really argue with any of the above, Browning, Beretta, Winchester, Benelli etc. People will recommend what they shoot with. I have a 391, its no better and no worse than any of the others but I only use it for in the hide or an occasional round of clays, because IMO semis are a PITA to walk around with. If im going for a wander around its the 25" barreled SxS

Morning all, I'm in the market for a semi auto. I've never owned one and would like people's views on the best one to get. With opinions on reliability, make and barrel length, it will only be used for rough shooting and in the hide.

Atb Delwint

I have a Benelli Super Sport and an Armsan 612 that I bought on special offer from Mcavoys for £275 new. Now I have to be truthful the trigger action on the Armsan is better than the Benelli and I just love it. Never once has it jammed no matter what cartridge I use.... Bonus too is that if you scratch the barrel a quick spray can using motorcycle manifold high temperature matt black paint and its back to new.

Twice you've mentioned a hide. My experience is limited to the Maxus which my step-son now has. By design they're longer than a two barrelled gun of equivalent length so as anything longer will not do what 26" can't, then that's worth considering.

26" SX3, Hide,Walk Up, Clays sometimes, light and to the point.

I have just renewed my 3yr old synthetic a300 28" for the same in 26". The shorter barrel so much quicker and easier to handle.

If it is for pigeons only, I would consider a 2 3/4" chambered gun. It would be probably be cheaper than most. If the gun is required for wildfowling, I would go for a 3 1/2", possibly an Xtrema 2 or an SX3.

Had a couple of Xtrema 2's...cracking guns for fowling but a bit heavy and ponderous for snap shooting! Especially as I'm getting on a bit! And weight is now an issue!......That is why I now use the lighter, quicker SX3.

The forerunner of the Maxus was the Gold, that was a good gun! It never missed a beat for me and in truth I always regretted selling it.............I believe the Maxus is from the same stable as the SX3 almost the same but with a different badge?

Edited by panoma1