Semi auto advice

Delwint

Had a couple of Xtrema 2's...cracking guns for fowling but a bit heavy and ponderous for snap shooting! Especially as I'm getting on a bit! And weight is now an issue!......That is why I now use the lighter, quicker SX3.

The forerunner of the Maxus was the Gold, that was a good gun! It never missed a beat for me and in truth I always regretted selling it.............I believe the Maxus is from the same stable as the SX3 almost the same but with a different badge?

Basically the same internally - to my non-gunsmithing eye - when I compared them. The Maxus is a little prettier at the front of the fore end and most model have a 3½" chamber whereas most SX3's have a 3" chamber - I think.

I preferred the Maxus when I bought mine, but either will do you well. Or a second hand Beretta A303 if you don't want a gun from the Browning-Winchester-Miroku stable.

So at the risk of sounding stupid, what is the difference between the semis with regards to gas and inertia?

With my my gas operated semi firing 21g loads is no differnce to firing 36 g loads, it's almost recoil free. I've not fired an inertia system so don't know. I suspect there is very little in it.

They say an inertia system needs less cleaning. A semi doesn't excatly need a lot, not more than an o/u.

We have an SX3 which my son and I use.

Having owned Berettas in the past (AL390, A302) I miss the magazine cut-off switch which makes it easy to change the cartridge in the breech/unload the gun without cycling or ejecting everything in the magazine.

It's certainly a well-made and useful piece of kit though. The 3.5" chamber can be a bit cartridge fussy and we make sure to use 70mm for clays and pigeons, and to keep it clean. A used Beretta is usually a very good bet but the SX3 is a very nice gun too.

Just been offered through a friend of a friend, a very tidy Beretta 391 for £400 which seems a good deal although he has said very occasionally it jams. So I'm thinking it needs a bloody good clean. Or possibly spring replaced. Any thoughts on this or should I just get the SX3

Edited by Delwint

Just been offered through a friend of a friend, a very tidy Beretta 391 for £400 which seems a good deal although he has said very occasionally it jams. So I'm thinking it needs a bloody good clean. Or possibly spring replaced. Any thoughts on this or should I just get the SX3

That's a very good price for a very good gun :good:

Good price for a good gun. I have the model before and it don't miss a beat. I wouldnt be without it.