8 week old poult deaths - Lancashire

Just a heads up. Several of the shoots around me are losing poults at around 8 - 9 weeks.

It's not traced back to one game farm or shoot so the thinking is its a bug carried by wildlife so the birds are only exposed to it once released into the pen.

After a call from a shoot down the road to say they had problems we checked our birds thoroughly. Having lost about 10 in last 2 days we have been back to game farmer for antibiotics.

The wet weather is a big factor in bird deaths I got our bird's last Monday touch wood they are all ok . The shoot up the road from us got them on Saturday from same place and have lost 40 the only difference being it rained all day Saturday and Sunday cleared up for us getting ours on Monday . Could I also say that both our and the one up the road net all our pens so this would keep contact with wild birds to a minimum

Edited by Michael Scotland

Shoots at Preston, Lancaster & Clitheroe all having same issue.

Ours have been in release pen 2 weeks so are well adjusted to the weather but the constant change must be a factor.

Fingers crossed the antibiotics do the job.

As others have said the weather is the biggest problem when the poults are wet and cold this is when disease strikes it is usualy in the ground waiting for the right conditions we have had a new one this year SARCINA symptoms are the same as Hexi and Coxi droopy wings and the dreaded shuffle had to treat them with penaciline a good vet is a must.