Which way to go ? Lighter OU or Semi

Brokey

This is my dilemma, my current OU is a Beretta 682 Sporting which weighs in at around 8 ½ pounds. Its a great gun and I enjoy shooting with it as it soaks up recoil like a sponge! However my problem is that Ive an issue with the tendons in my left shoulder and despite visits to the Physio and a regime of strengthening exercises the problem still remains. I shoot off my right shoulder so the weight of my gun is born by my left arm and its causing me pain whilst shooting and afterwards. I have a SA which is much lighter and shooting with it is fine.

My question is do I go for a lighter 12g, a 20g OU or just accept that from now on its SA all the way. Im sure that my fellow PW members will be able to provide varied advice ! Thanks

I had an issue with the tendons in both my shoulder, ended up having key hole surgery on both and tightening them up. You might have to go this route.

I'd probably go lighter over and under. Buy second hand from a good brand and you're unlikely to lose anything if it doesn't work out.

Hello, i think JDog had the same sort of thing and went for a semi auto 20g, my first O/U was a heavy weight bruno but back then shot a lot of clays as well as pigeon, now quite an oldy :rolleyes: i go for lighter as doing a lot less shooting, so mine in the browning 525 lite game gun 6.5 llbs using 28/30g carts

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

This is my dilemma, my current OU is a Beretta 682 Sporting which weighs in at around 8 ½ pounds. Its a great gun and I enjoy shooting with it as it soaks up recoil like a sponge! However my problem is that Ive an issue with the tendons in my left shoulder and despite visits to the Physio and a regime of strengthening exercises the problem still remains. I shoot off my right shoulder so the weight of my gun is born by my left arm and its causing me pain whilst shooting and afterwards. I have a SA which is much lighter and shooting with it is fine.

My question is do I go for a lighter 12g, a 20g OU or just accept that from now on its SA all the way. Im sure that my fellow PW members will be able to provide varied advice ! Thanks

What a shame the gun you own the 682 is one of the best Beretta guns ever made. For the time being go down the Auto route until and when your shoulder improves. Lighter guns tend to kick more my 101 Winchester was nice and light but .... boy she could kick.

What a shame the gun you own the 682 is one of the best Beretta guns ever made. For the time being go down the Auto route until and when your shoulder improves. Lighter guns tend to kick more my 101 Winchester was nice and light but .... boy she could kick.

I know ! I realise my 31 year old 682 is a great gun and apart from its weight I love it but I'm not shooting as much because of the pain. Probably wouldn't get rid of her as it was my first gun after many years not shooting but I need to get back to looking forward to missing clays !!

687 game gun in 12guage. Much lighter than the 682 range but a make that your used too

Thanks ips

I have Winchester Select Light Gold, 6 1/2 lbs, 28gm loads no problem with recoil. Excellent well made and pretty gun.

Cheers das, I've looked at these on McEvoy's website and they seem a good gun, maybe I'll go and try one

Go for a Beretta A400 light. It will soak up recoil and be very light on your shoulder. I like the Benelli autos more than gas operated but the have a bit more recoil, still light to handle.

I have the Benelli Super Sport and Love it but .... as I have Said on other forums .... the trigger action on my much loved Armsan 612 is better.

I have been in the same position, my MK38 started to hurt.

I now shoot a Beretta 391 Urika and 24 gm cartridges - the change has been well worthwhile !

At an "Away day" I fired 260 cartridges and went home with no injury and only minor stiffness of my shoulder the next day.

Best of luck with your choice.

The thing i hate about the semi.is the bending down to pick up the cartridges. If your have shoulder problems that is not going to help. The wife shoots one of the ATA Arms o/u .with the alloy action uses hull comp x 28 grm low recoil has had shouder problems and one Op oñ here right should . Now she is back out shooting again after a short break .

I used a Verney Carron O/U for a while very light& shot nice,cheap S/H , only problem I had was the safety in tail of trigger guard, got used to it tho.

Although apparently it's changing, most French shooting is walked up and consequently most of their guns are relatively light - Darne and Chapuis are two more examples. Not too popular here. The darne is probably too light and can be problematic by design and are sbs anyway, but a s/h Chapuis might just be worth a look if you can find one in the right price bracket. Mine weighs 6&1/2 lbs.

I had a semi Beretta and shot well with it but it of course it restricted me to clays and rough

shooting.

When I had the chance of game shooting I used a o/u or sxs and could hit very little

I couldn't make the adjustment on the day. Others would, of course.

Edited by redial