Advice required from .222 shooters

belly47

Afternoon

I have just got my licence back from Kent police with my variation for .222 (my first centrefire)

What I'd like to know what rifles and ammunition you are using.

After doing loads of reading prior to putting in the variation I settled on the .222 for its accuracy at distance and it's capabilities for long range rabbits and crows and the fact that it can also drop foxes far beyond the range of my hmr and is all round more suitable for fox.

I've just been to a local gunshop and when I could finally get someone to acknowledge my existence, I said I wanted to talk about what rifles and ammo was available from them in .222, the first words that came out was "get it off ya ticket and get a 223"

I said but can you get .222 rifles to which he said "well yes I can but why have a dying calibre anyway" at this point I left as he was one obnoxious ****.

Now I've read all the stuff about it being not so popular these days but as said earlier it seemed to tick the right boxes for the shooting I do. There are no deer on my permissions.

Have I made a mistake? Should I vary my licence for .223?

Look forward to any assistance you can give me

Edited by belly47

The 222 is a superb calibre. I've got a 222 & a 223. The thing is that lately people buy guns as fashion statements rather than use and ability. The 222 will Chop down fox out to a good 200 yards and at night that appears to be a very, very long way. As long as you lay in some 222 cases you will shoot it for donkeys years. Shooting rabbits with one is overkill. Or should I say roadkill. The 223 has a bit more punch because of the couple of extra grains of powder the case will hold but in 95% of shots that you are likely to take, this wont make any difference whatsoever. There are so many 222s out there that they aren't going down the plug hole next week or the week after that. When things go out of fashion there are good bargains to be had just like she shotguns just now. The bloke in the gunshop was just spouting the fashion statement of the day.

Hi

I would suggest that you are looking to split hairs if looking between a .222R or a .223R- both will do the necessary better than most shooters.

I have had a .222R (Tikka M595) for some 15+ years and the calibre is so sweet to shoot, factory or home-loaded.

Many a Roe deer in Scotland, Muntjac and Fox in England have succumbed - long may it continue.

L

A really good foxing round

I use Hornady 35 grn V Max which are brilliantly accurate, so much so I don't bother to reload they will shoot sub half inch in my rifle

Shooting wise - given as there is virtually no recoil. Shooting out to 220 yds is easy enough all day long

Check out the balladtics and choose a round that suits your rifle

With the Hornady zero @ 100 yds it's good for anything out to from 70 to 170 yds. Rabbits at 200 yds - half way up the ears does the job

Good luck with new gun, you'll enjoy the duce, lovely calibre

If you want to try one - give me a shout I'm only 20 mins away you could come down for a night out foxing

Patrol

Edited by Patrol

.222 is an accurate, easy to reload and with a good moderator fairly quiet, there's nothing much between .223/.222.

.222 held the bench rest record for years, my Tikka M595 can do under an inch at 100yds.

I'm in Kent if you want to have a few shots let me know.

that's a very kind offer, thank you.

I'm actually going to look at at the very same rifle later in the week and should be able to shoot it also