A hard fought half century.

JDog

Being the founder member of the Motty United Fan Club (MUFC) I thought I had better go and see how he was getting on for myself rather than reading reports of his great successes with Muncher. Today I travelled to some wilderness area with lots of pylons and windmills where I met up with the man himself.

When I got to our meeting place he was already there and we could both see a few lines going into a fairly old rape stubble. As a guest I always demur to my host on sites for hides, my one condition being that we had separate hides. This was less to do with my body odour but more to do with our two dogs, his a beginner in the art of sitting in a hide, mine experienced but exciteable. We set up on two different legs of the same pylon.

As usual the lines we saw before setting up ceased immediately, the strongest one never to start up again in earnest. We had a few birds from behind but the majority of the pigeons that came back to the field just did not decoy and veered off at anything from 60m to 100m. This was very frustrating. We picked away at odd ones flying by but decoying was not on their schedule for the day, at least not to this field.

The second heavy shower of the afternoon made my decision to pack up for me and we rushed around trying to get the kit packed up before we got too wet. I really enjoyed my day with Motty. We did well to pick 55 pigeons.

Nice report Mr JDog , I wouldn't be surprized if the local pigeon population in N/Norfolk are getting good at steering clear of two pigeons going round and round in circles and not really getting anywhere , pity about the rain showers , we had some dark clouds but touch wood it kept dry all afternoon .

I enjoyed the day, but I was surprised and very disappointed that I could not lay on several more birds for my esteemed guest. The final tally was actually 56, as I sent the dog into the trees behind where he found one more that I had hit hard, earlier.

This was the first time I had really got chance to watch J shoot from close up. Please, no-one listen to his self-deprecating talk regarding his shooting - this man can point a gun straight enough.

Thanks for the good company, John. It was also nice to meet Jasper - quite a character.

• 2 weeks later...