Advice needed .22lr

Dazza9t9

Good evening all

So I have been quite for a while and focusing on my shot gun shooting. Howeve I have just been granted my FAC.

I've been using rifles for a while, using various different ones at the clubs I was a member of.

At the moment I am favouring a cz, 452 I think it was (bolt actions) and a ruger 10/22 (semi)

These will be used for vermin control until I rejoin the target club then it will be a bit of target too. But mostly out in the field.

Given these will be my first two rifles, the cost and good reports it seems to be silly not to start with them.

What are people's thoughts on this.

Good choice or is there any others I should be considering

Thanks in advance

I'm same as you mate not long had my FAC but i bought a Anshutz .22 and i absolutely love the annie hitting mainly one to one ratio already the annie so light and managable hope this gives you something to think about :hmm::hmm:

Edited by popa bear

cz are good as you can see from the numbers around anschutz are great but you pay the extra for them. if it was me i would stay away from semi auto everyone i have used has had accuracy or feed problems. cant really see the advantage in a semi over a bolt and i have done a lot of rabbit clearance etc

If you like the CZ452 then look at a BRNO Model 2 that it's copied from (CZ took over the factory).

Cheaper to find 2nd-hand & they are an identical rifle, though better made than tne CZ.

Around £100 - £150 for a good one

good shout that. my dad has one and it would shoot aswell as my sako quad

I have shot with a anshutz and it was a lovely rilfe, however I know they are a little higher in price. I will keep my eyes open. But my thoughts were keep it lower priced to see how I get on and then upgrade in the future,

Thank you all for your input and it is giving me food for thought that's for sure

Am I right in thinking the 452 is a bolt and the 512 is semi? I'm not up on the model numbers?

I have shot with a fair few 10/22 and I certainly have a soft spot for them. As I have space for a few LR I was going to get a semi and a bolt... I understand the issues with semi. But I do fancy one

Semi autos are really expensive to run unless you have amazing self control as they're such good fun to blast off a full magazine load. Get a bolt action - I'm lucky to have a couple of Sako P94S which are a quality rifle, comparable to the Anschutz but the CZ gets great reviews, although it doesn't share quite the same feel. Have a look at the Webley Xocet - based on the CZ but with a carbon barrel and Weaver bases

I find it very hard to believe any gun is more capable of taking rabbits than a CZ452 (or the farmer BRNO version).

I'm 50 something, been shooting them since 12 years old and just bought another one in .22mag. Not blinkered to the qualities of other makes such as Anshutz etc but 452 is a very nice gun imo.

I once had the Bruno 22RF and foolishly sold it. I then purchased a Ruger and that was excellent, in particular the rotary mag. I now have a Marlin 880SQ which also shoots very well. I also have a 455 CZ in 17HMR which again I personally cannot shoot as accurately as the rifle is capable.

I believe any of the bolt action choices you mention would be fine and I agree to stay away from semi autos, mainly because I see no reason for having one, being able to work the bolt plenty fast enough to get a second or third rabbit before they get back into cover. I also have four clips/magazines for my 22RF which gives me 28 shots with pretty rapid change over.

I have 2 cz 452, .22lr and a .17hmr. I don't need anything else. the .22 is cheap to feed and very accurate, go on, go on, go on get one, you know you want to! P.S. when you get one, get the trigger kit for it :good:

i have the same (both with a trigger kit) and cannot fault either.

I have put in for a centre fire in .223 and up to now it wll be a CZ again I think.

Edited by Good shot?

• 2 weeks later...

You won't go far wrong wioth the CZ 452(s)

I have a trigger kit fitted to bth my LR and HMR and am highly impressed with the diference on both.

If you're going after live targets, stick with a bolt, they are far more accurate (as noted by numerous others).

Be prepared to try a fair few different brands until you find 'the one'.

But most of all: enjoy YOUR rifles.

I was in a simular position a good few years ago,buy the best rifle and ammo you can afford. I target shoot with a cz455 with a weaker spring and reworked sears,by a professional gunsmith,and is still not as good as other rifle standard triggers, knowing what I know now I would have bought a whole trigger unit ie timny or similar . Im currently looking to replace the 455 with a more targeted orientated rifle,ie a anshutz mpr or hw jagged match,which come with a better trigger standard.. I need a 10 shot so struggling.Don't know anything about 10/22's really.

Triggers and ammo is the key to perfection.

i have the same (both with a trigger kit) and cannot fault either.

I have put in for a centre fire in .223 and up to now it wll be a CZ again I think.

Exactly what I've got - 452 synthetic 22LR, 452 wood varmint barrel 17HMR and 527 wood .223. All spot on, more accurate than I shoot and really good value for money. I'd still buy a Blaser R8 if I had the cash and a slot for a bigger calibre but the CZ's are spot on for smaller calibres and vermin work.

• 3 months later...
On 22/07/2017 at 21:28, saddler said:

If you like the CZ452 then look at a BRNO Model 2 that it's copied from (CZ took over the factory).

Cheaper to find 2nd-hand & they are an identical rifle, though better made than tne CZ.

Around £100 - £150 for a good one

I agree, my model 2 is spot on