bulging red hot battery

Me matt

As above, I have an A1 decoys 7ah battery that I've charged about 10 times since purchase.

Put it on charge today for a few hours as was practically dead from last outing and have a shoot planned for Friday.

On passing the battery after a couple of hours charging I noticed a smell and spotted it has ballooned in the centre on both side walls and was also red hot.

Anyone experienced this before? Is it likely to be a faulty battery as its only 3 months old... charger has been ok- I use it for some ride on mowers I have on contracts and they have charged ok.

Thanks in advance

MM

Plates are buckeld, ???!,,its scrap.

Shorting out inside..

not necessarily. I hooked up a similar battery that I used for lamping to the battery charger and it had been set on 24 volts for the fork lift. I didn't look. It had been on charge a while and I noticed jets of steam coming out of the battery. it was so hot that I couldn't touch it. the sides were all bulged like a six pack. I thought Oh ********, thats tonights lamping gone west. anyway I tried it on the lamp and it was ok. in fact it was the best lamping battery I ever had. it was brilliant and seemed to have endless power. It lasted about three years of hard work before it packed up. You might be lucky.

Thanks for all the replies.

I will try it out after work & report back.

My charger isnt a trickle type, if battery is fubar I will also pick up a trickle charger for it.

Strange thing is- my sit on mowers have the same batteries and they have been fine for over a year on this charger.

Will also check battery level later.

Thanks for all the replies.

I will try it out after work & report back.

My charger isnt a trickle type, if battery is fubar I will also pick up a trickle charger for it.

Strange thing is- my sit on mowers have the same batteries and they have been fine for over a year on this charger.

Will also check battery level later.

These are the chargers I use. They work well, don't get hot and use very little electricity.

Ebay # 361434462838

As above, I have an A1 decoys 7ah battery that I've charged about 10 times since purchase.

Put it on charge today for a few hours as was practically dead from last outing and have a shoot planned for Friday.

On passing the battery after a couple of hours charging I noticed a smell and spotted it has ballooned in the centre on both side walls and was also red hot.

Anyone experienced this before? Is it likely to be a faulty battery as its only 3 months old... charger has been ok- I use it for some ride on mowers I have on contracts and they have charged ok.

Thanks in advance

MM

Hi Me matt,

Our batteries do have to be charged on a trickle charger, we sale the chargers for around £12 inc postage. I'm guessing that may be the problem. We don't get many faulty at all (I mean about 2 in 6 months really are faulty) Please let me know how you get on.

Aimee @ A1

Well- its still powering the rotary, seems to have the same speed/power so ill give it a day out on Friday and see how it holds up.

@ Ammie - maybe a good idea to include the fact it should only be trickle charged at the point of sale?? Not that its any different to any other battery I charge on this charger for my machinery.

Our batteries do have to be charged on a trickle charger

So why does it state on the battery "constant voltage charge" and "initial current 2.1A"? This sounds like a bog-standard lead acid gel battery which should self-limit if placed on a constant voltage supply.

I see no reason why this battery should be trickle charged.

Am I missing something, here?

Regards,

Mark.

So why does it state on the battery "constant voltage charge" and "initial current 2.1A"? This sounds like a bog-standard lead acid gel battery which should self-limit if placed on a constant voltage supply.

I see no reason why this battery should be trickle charged.

Am I missing something, here?

Regards,

Mark.

We've had quite a few people over charge them with car chargers which is why we recommend a trickle charger. Some listings should have on them that the batteries should be trickle charged.

Please PM us 'Me matt' and we'll happily send a replacement as you were not aware they should be trickle charged, that is our fault for not making it clear - apologies.

Aimee @ A1

We've had quite a few people over charge them with car chargers which is why we recommend a trickle charger. Some listings should have on them that the batteries should be trickle charged.

Please PM us 'Me matt' and we'll happily send a replacement as you were not aware they should be trickle charged, that is our fault for not making it clear - apologies.

Aimee @ A1

PM sent - thank you.

We've had quite a few people over charge them with car chargers which is why we recommend a trickle charger.

I think that the general rule is 1-10th of the capacity. Thus about 700 milli amps.

The problem isn't the battery, it's the charger. These batteries don't need trickle charging - they need a decent charger or bench power supply.

It's a long time since I bought a car battery charger but, in the days when I *did*, what they supplied in the way of power tended to be *very* "dirty" indeed. This wasn't a problem for large lead-acid batteries but for small ones... :(

I use quite a few different sizes of SLA batteries and all get charged in one of two ways:

[a] If the "go fasterer" charger isn't in use, I use *that*. It has a special setting for SLAs and you just have to sepecify the terminal voltage. (That is, the number of cells in the battery.)

Else, I set the PSU to 2.3V per cell (13.8V for a 12V lead-acid battery) and let rip. As I said above, the *initial* charge will be high but the battery will self-limit and end up float charging.

I *really* like SLA batteries: cheap, reliable (low self-discharge) and easy to charge. However, compared to the more modern batteries (eg, lithium) they have realtively low capacity and are, of course, heavy.

Regards,

Mark.

P.S. Kudos to A1 for decent customer service. Well done.

• 2 weeks later...