Student Debt Promise - NEVER Happened!

TIGHTCHOKE

Oh dear, it would appear that the major manifesto offer from the Labour Party never really happened.

Corbyn and Rayner were back pedalling over the weekend.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2017/07/19/labour-retracts-tuition-fees-pledge-angela-rayner-says-no-plans/

I do hope all of the naive students who voted for them realise how they were duped.

You don't need to make this stuff up, they just keep the codswallop coming.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can they right Student dept when the government sold off a percentage of the Studen Loan dept to a 3rd party ? You cant sell off a dept to a 3rd part then suddenly wipe it off can you?Who compensates the 3rd party?

The Government has begun controversial plans to sell off billions of pounds worth of student debt to private companies, a move experts warn could come at a cost to students and taxpayers as the industry falls victim to "marketisation".

Graduates who took out loans before the 2012 academic year could find themselves making repayments to private lenders buying up contracts from the Student Loans Company (SLC) a move the Treasury expects to make £12bn from in return.

Edited by Davyo

Thanks tightchoke,that answers my question about previous student dept,They would of had to move quick because I'm sure I seen an update in April at work(HMRC intranet).I think they are looking at selling all student loan dept off to 3rd parties.

Edited by Davyo

So I guess that someone can finally clear this up by showing me.the manifesto where they said the will abolish student debt?

Yes, I can:

"Labour believes education should be free, and we will restore this principle. No one should be put off educating themselves for lack of money or through fear of debt.

Labour will reintroduce maintenance grants for university students, and we will abolish university tuition fees.

University tuition is free in many northern European countries, and under a Labour government it will be free here too."

Glad to help.

Every promise and utterance from a politicians mouth should be taken as lies.....99% of the time you'll be right!

Unfortunately the young, inexperienced and gullible will believe everything they are told.....and on the strength of promises vote them into power.....only to find out in a very short time, they have been duped!

There is also evidence that a lot of students were encouraged to vote twice, once at their home address by post and once at their University address. The scale that it happened and the number of locations around the country means it had to have been organised centrally.

At least three seats in University towns can be shown to have been won by labour because of these 'swings'

This is Labour up to all its old tricks again, vote rigging. You would have thought that after the corruption of Tower Hamlets they would have tightened up on postal votes

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4705536/Probe-launched-students-voted-TWICE-Corbyn.html

Edited by Vince Green

Yes, I can:

"Labour believes education should be free, and we will restore this principle. No one should be put off educating themselves for lack of money or through fear of debt.

Labour will reintroduce maintenance grants for university students, and we will abolish university tuition fees.

University tuition is free in many northern European countries, and under a Labour government it will be free here too."

Glad to help.

Thank you,

But I can't see the part where they say they will write off any debt? Not creating any more debt isn't the same thing as writing off existing debt? Or have I misread it?

You can chose to misunderstand what Corbyn said and what he implied, but you are deluding yourself. He made it abundantly clear what would happen - now he is retracting it. He couldn't lie straight in bed.

Students taken in by this idiot, must be kicking themselves. If they aren't, they are as thick as Diane Abbott.

Thank you,

But I can't see the part where they say they will write off any debt? Not creating any more debt isn't the same thing as writing off existing debt? Or have I misread it?

Labour have always worked by spreading Chinese Whispers. Its a very effective way of drawing the guillable into believing things. Look at the way they are operating now with the Grefell Tower, public meetings in community centres to wind the situation up, suggesting they entitled to more than they are. Classic Labour tactics.

Whether or not they ACTUALLY put it in writing is irrelevant, it is clear that was the message that the students were getting from the people on the ground. It happened in far too many places for it to be a coincidence.

Very similar tactics are employed by the SNP, that's because they are working from the same hard left handbooks.

Edited by Vince Green

Students taken in by this idiot, must be kicking themselves. If they aren't, they are as thick as Diane Abbott.

I'm rather afraid the latter is true ....... it has always been very clear that what politicians say - and what they do are unrelated. There is an old saying that an artist is someone who can hold two fundamentally opposed views simultaneously and still function normally. Substitute multiple for two - and you have a politician.

I would rather cut my hand off than vote for Corbyn/Abbott/MacDonald - but I don't believe May/Hammond & co much more. Where is this deficit reduction we have all been promised? Borrowing went up in the last period. We MUST stop spending money we haven't got - or something will go seriously wrong when interest rates begin to rise - as they will one day.

You can chose to misunderstand what Corbyn said and what he implied, but you are deluding yourself. He made it abundantly clear what would happen - now he is retracting it. He couldn't lie straight in bed.

Which part exactly am I misunderstanding? Where in that statement does it say debt will be written off? I'm not sure how that makes me deluded? Surely the people implying it says something it doesn't are deluded? That's a Very confusing post Gordon

Labour have always worked by spreading Chinese Whispers. Its a very effective way of drawing the guillable into believing things. Look at the way they are operating now with the Grefell Tower, public meetings in community centres to wind the situation up, suggesting they entitled to more than they are. Classic Labour tactics.

Whether or not they ACTUALLY put it in writing is irrelevant, it is clear that was the message that the students were getting from the people on the ground. It happened in far too many places for it to be a coincidence.

Very similar tactics are employed by the SNP, that's because they are working from the same hard left handbook

Well put

I'm rather afraid the latter is true ....... it has always been very clear that what politicians say - and what they do are unrelated. There is an old saying that an artist is someone who can hold two fundamentally opposed views simultaneously and still function normally. Substitute multiple for two - and you have a politician.I would rather cut my hand off than vote for Corbyn/Abbott/MacDonald - but I don't believe May/Hammond & co much more. Where is this deficit reduction we have all been promised? Borrowing went up in the last period. We MUST stop spending money we haven't got - or something will go seriously wrong when interest rates begin to rise - as they will one day.

This,

When will people realise that there is simply no money and that nothing in this world is free, someone has to pay for it.

A couple of weeks back one of the senior Labour people said that it was 'an ambition' and now Ms Rayner says they were never going to do it which makes me wonder why it was ever 'an ambition'.

The same happened on reversing welfare cuts. Mr McDonnell later said it was only 'an ambition'.

Misleading is a generous descriptor. They know exactly what they are doing, very clever.

Part of me wishes ( sort of) that Labour had won the election just so the electorate could see for themselves what a mistake they had made, and labour politicians could tie themselves in knots, running around like headless chickens, realising they were now expected to deliver.

Labour in power would be an utter nightmare.

A couple of weeks back one of the senior Labour people said that it was 'an ambition' and now Ms Rayner says they were never going to do it which makes me wonder why it was ever 'an ambition'.

The same happened on reversing welfare cuts. Mr McDonnell later said it was only 'an ambition'.

Misleading is a generous descriptor. They know exactly what they are doing, very clever.

hello, AMBITION in the dictionary is termed DRIVE TO SUCCEED, so i think once the students who voted labour on the understanding of Labours promise on student debt and free tuition fees labour has now back trcaked on it will drive them away, but who will get their vote now ????

Thank you,

the way i saw it ...was "they" would abolish tuition fee's BUT NOTHING IN WRITING ABOUT CANCELLING STUDENT DEBTS...........BUT......i think im not sure it was the result of a couple of throwaway remarks made by a labour person during a couple of interviews..........thats how i became aware of it.........