Student Debt Promise - NEVER Happened!

TIGHTCHOKE

It was all done by social media, facebook was awash with wild claims about what Corbyn was supposedly going to do about student debt, NHS etc. They swallowed it all hook line and sinker. A student on the radio this morning describes how he was constantly bombarded with pro Corbyn propaganda in the build up to the election.

This is the way campaigns are run these days. Its a social media world, students don't get up on a Sunday morning and watch Andrew Marr, but facebook is anonymous and unaccountable. As we are seeing now, its also conveniently very deniable

Edited by Vince Green

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really not sure how he is backpeddleing from something he never said? Nowhere in the manifesto or on film does he say he would do away with existing debt so why are people acting like he did?

I despair the way some folk allow the media propaganda to lead them around Like a farmyard bull with a ring through its nose despite there being absolutely no proof of anything. He did not say he would write off existing debt so has nothing to backpeddle from Please grow up and stop allowing the propaganda spewed by the media to control your thoughts and actions. All the political parties are as bad as each other it's just that some.of them have the media at their disposal whilst others don't. Arguing about something that was never said as if it was a fact because the media portrayed it as such is beyond ridiculous

Part of me wishes ( sort of) that Labour had won the election just so the electorate could see for themselves what a mistake they had made, and labour politicians could tie themselves in knots, running around like headless chickens, realising they were now expected to deliver.

Labour in power would be an utter nightmare.

I don't think Corbyn actually wants to win, he is a very lazy man truth be told. He is much happier being a trouble maker criticising others from the outside.

Being PM would be too much like having to work

I'm really not sure how he is backpeddleing from something he never said? Nowhere in the manifesto or on film does he say he would do away with existing debt so why are people acting like he did?

I despair the way some folk allow the media propaganda to lead them around Like a farmyard bull with a ring through its nose despite there being absolutely no proof of anything. He did not say he would write off existing debt so has nothing to backpeddle from Please grow up and stop allowing the propaganda spewed by the media to control your thoughts and actions. All the political parties are as bad as each other it's just that some.of them have the media at their disposal whilst others don't. Arguing about something that was never said as if it was a fact because the media portrayed it as such is beyond ridiculous

He never said it but his supporters were quick to spread it

Edited by Vince Green

The very short answer to all of this is, he could not afford to wipe out fees. And CERTAINLY could not wipe out debt if he had said he would.

Not sure why you are getting so wound up by it. He made a statement, he would not have been able to carry it out.

Now he has admitted he couldn't.

I'm really not sure how he is backpeddleing from something he never said?

I saw him in a TV interview saying something along the lines of "we will look to find ways of removing student fees for this year and writing off existing debt". It wasn't in writing, but it was clearly 'implied' and a lot of people understood it ........ and he played along with it ......... because having people believe it was exactly what he intended.

He is a clever and manipulative person, - stands as a Labour member, but in fact has rarely supported the official Labour position in the past and very frequently voted against 'his' party - because in fact he is a Marxist - and the Labour party - despite being left leaning, isn't Marxist.

He made a statement about student debt saying that he would DEAL with it, you tell me how people would hear that.

He made a statement about student debt saying that he would DEAL with it, you tell me how people would hear that.

yes thats it ....this.................thats the answer tyisterdsanity was looking for well done.....................i remember it now :good:

On the benefits freeze (or not). Here is an example of the confusion Labour spreads and is happy to let circulate. Lifted from the BBC website, days or weeks after this I saw John McDonnell saying it was only ever 'an ambition'.

"John McDonnell said his proposals would make the freeze "irrelevant", but did not say whether he would scrap it.

Later though, Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn told Sky News the freeze was "unfair" and "would be ended"."

Yes, I can:

"Labour believes education should be free, and we will restore this principle. No one should be put off educating themselves for lack of money or through fear of debt.

Labour will reintroduce maintenance grants for university students, and we will abolish university tuition fees.

University tuition is free in many northern European countries, and under a Labour government it will be free here too."

Glad to help.

No promises there, just a statement of what they believe, not what they will do if they ever get in power and certainly no timescale. Being cynical I read that as just more cloud cuckoo land lies and wishful thinking. No doubt Corbyns plans were costed during pillow talk with his financial expert, Ms Abbott.

What a brave man! I wouldn't tackle that with a piece of nail studded 4x2!

None of 'em could lay straight in bed.

About time we had the alw changed and you had to produce evidence of who you where, Passport, Driving License or better still issue Identity Cards.

Why?

How will that stop politicians lying?

Or stop electoral fraud on postal votes?

Why?

How will that stop politicians lying?

Or stop electoral fraud on postal votes?

Stop postal votes other than for extreme cases. Birmingham found that activists where collecting postal votes house to house and entering the vote for dumb people.

Don't be silly, you will never stop politicians lying, it's part of their make up.

I am in my 30's and still paying mine off, guess what, i loaned it, im now working to pay it back..

What next, borrow money to buy a car and ask them to write it off.

If you train to be a surgeon you will earn enough to pay back the loan. Why are people so hung up on getting something for nothing!!!

Edited by ShootingEgg

"Student debt, I will deal with it" those, I understand were Corbins words...........what conclusion is anyone to draw from those words?.......

Him not cancelling student debt does not 'deal' with student debt!......the chosen words had the intended effect!

I am in my 30's and still paying mine off, guess what, i loaned it, im now working to pay it back..

If you train to be a surgeon you will earn enough to pay back the loan. Why are people so hung up on getting something for nothing!!!

ShootingEgg

How dare you be the voice of reason.............

fie if you are good enough to become a surgeon.................trouble is so many of them do Media studies...politics....and end up working in Mc Donalds.........

I don't think this post is about people getting something for nothing...it's about politicians falsely implying that they will give voters something in order to persuade the gullible to vote for them ( their party) Edited by panoma1

ShootingEgg

How dare you be the voice of reason.............

Im sorry, will get back under my rock...

I don't think this post is about people getting something for nothing...it's about politicians falsely implying that they will give voters something in order to persuade the gullible to vote for them ( their party)

Which in short is people expecting something for nothing

fie if you are good enough to become a surgeon.................trouble is so many of them do Media studies...politics....and end up working in Mc Donalds.........

So what you are saying is they pay stupid amounts of money on a course that in the real world gets them nothing but debt. Thats their choice.

I did computing and now have a good enough job to pay back the loan. I also whilst studying worked as a chef and am qualified to level 3 gnvq in catering. Owned my own property at 25. Spose you get out what you put in...

Never have I expected to just get something for nothing, something Corbyn seems students who already get 18 years free should get potentially 22 years or more free.

Which part exactly am I misunderstanding? Where in that statement does it say debt will be written off? I'm not sure how that makes me deluded? Surely the people implying it says something it doesn't are deluded? That's a Very confusing post Gordon

With your intentionally closed mind, I'm sure you are confused.

Then they don't have to pay the loan back.

All the gullible students perhaps voting for the first time , then finding out they have been lied to and mislead wonder who they will vote for the next time ?. Not labour would be my guess

I wish you were correct. I fear not :(

Yet they still moan about having it..

I dont see an issue personally, I borrowed it, im paying it back, I've never had that money in my account so I dont miss it

I'm the same. I'm happy to be paying my loan back. I wouldn't have the life I have without my education. Why shouldn't o lay for it?