A nice bag of 30

With the rape having been cut on a farm I had access to, I eagerly made plans to get out on Saturday. When I arrived at the field at midday I was met by the farmer who told me that he was going to be dicing the field in a short while. So, I set up along the hedge line 15 yards from an oak and sat patiently watching him in his tractor going up and down, and up and down....

Eventually he finished and I put out the rotary and half a dozen dead birds. By this time it was approaching 2.00pm but the birds came steadily and seemed to be committed to the rotary so some nice decoying ensued.

I was pleased to get to 30 and possibly could have made 50 if the heavens hadn't opened and forced me to retire early to avoid a proper soaking.

Good result, sometimes the disced rape field produces better than the stubble.

after our little outing on sat' on the disced rape field.............been round it twice now......we are back to normal......zero birds...must have got things just right for a change...

nice story...................i have a lot of oaks lining the fields in some areas....and when the acorns drop, we get some regular trade.............do you set up near the fallen acorns in the autumn..?

In my relatively short shooting career I have yet to find pigeons around here prolifically feeding on acorns......maybe this Autumn?

In my relatively short shooting career I have yet to find pigeons around here prolifically feeding on acorns......maybe this Autumn?

you have to wait for the fallen corns to split and soften in the cold wet and frost...then they go for them..............thats if they havnt drilled by then...