Rabbit shooting whilst harvesting OSR

I got a late call from the farmer on Friday saying that there is a small window of opportunity to cut the rape on a parcel of land that has many rabbits. Called Lee who was able to join so I met him at the farm and waited for the combine to start rolling. The first pass near the hedge line proved difficult as the width from the crop to hedge is about 12 foot. The first two rabbits bolted and Lee got a shot off on the second though it was just behind. After this first pass the shooting got easier as there was a greater distance to the hedge. Also the rabbits were not able to run at full pelt through the rape stubbles so shooting them was a breeze. We bagged 6 which is not a lot at all but its 6 less than there was before. We had a few rabbits in the distance that broke cover early and they were out of range to shoot but those that broke at the last second of the combine had no chance.

Here's a short clip of us in the field but I didn't manage to capture any of the shooting. It was great fun with quick sharp shooting and a lovely way to spend an evening stretching the legs rather than sitting in a hide. You can see the clouds in the distance that were rolling in looking to stop play for the evening. The heavens opened up that night and that brought cutting to an end.

https://youtu.be/1-zbq2qBU5I

There are a few more fields that need to be cut but the weather is carp at them moment. For the next session I will stick on the go pro and hopefully that will make a more entertaining video.

• 2 weeks later...

Thats one minute and twelve seconds of my life i will not get back.

I should have read the post before going to the clip too.

Lol

Wokkywokky.

I'm sure you enjoyed it more than us though. Thanks for sharing the day with us, well as little bit of it anyway. ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

Reminds me of the 1950s when we would have half a dozen guns set around the field as the binder circled and the closer it got to the middle the more hectic the sport with usually a final shout of FOX!!! FOX!!! from whoever was riding the binder. Nice to hear it still goes on. :yes::good::)

hello, and from me in the 1960s, side by side hammer 410 :)