booking a single gun

ips

I have discussed this with various folk and on another forum but opinions seems to differ widely about booking a single gun va gunsonpegs (for instance) so who has enjoyed a good day and who has had a bad experience and why ?

There is an early season partridge shoot that has taken my eye.

Most of the single gun days I have managed to get have resulted in a very pleasant experience. In fact on a couple it was like I was a long lost friend and made very welcome.

I believe it boils down to how you present yourself.

Where is that early season partridge shoot? I might beat you to it :yes::lol:

Edited by Walker570

Thanks walker

Not telling ....until its booked 😁

I have spoken to people like yourself who have had great days even gone on too be invited to other shoots with folk they met.

Conversely many more I have spoken to would not touch a single gun booking with a barge pole 😞

I've had mixed experiences - some excellent, some not so good.

The great ones, as others have said, have been like meeting old friends (and usually getting some invitations/introductions to other shoots).

The less good ones have been down to poor shoots (fortunately happened when I've been trying out new ones and prevented me taking a group there!) or dubious company (most notably, greedy guns).

Most memorably on a shoot I joined one of a couple of "spare" pegs on a syndicate day. One of the syndicate guns was mopping up anything in range, sporting or not, with the most of the syndicate seeming to think that it was OK as he was a bit of a character. Even when chastised by the keeper he kept it up... fortunately there was no overage charged that day as, had it been suggested, I think a couple of folk would have had words.

Have also seen another single gun throw a bit of a tantrum about the mix of birds presented (he didn't like the number of duck shot on one drive and, not knowing the keeper is another one that throws in a good few over on most days, was very noisy about having been "cheated out of" pheasants) which rather soured the day.

I guess really the message is that having single guns around cuts both ways. Sometimes, as a single gun, you can have a great day and meet new folks. Other times they risk spoiling the day whether it's your syndicate or someone else's!

Um, really a case of luck of the draw then ... Since mentioning the early partridge shoot I have this evening spoken to a keeper mate who reckons he can offer me a partridge day in Sept so that's probably a better bet ... Still not dismissing the idea of booking a single gun though.

Go for it, you won't know what to expect until you attend a day.

I have booked a fair few days for myself joining other guns to make up a team. As others have said, once introductions have been made, it's like you have been shooting together for years. It all comes down to how you conduct yourself and how others conduct themselves.

I have had a bad experience with one of the shoots I booked, which was down to the safety of my fellow guns.

The majority of the days I've had have all been good, with a few that stand out as exceptional.

Go for it, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Go for it, you won't know what to expect until you attend a day.

I have booked a fair few days for myself joining other guns to make up a team. As others have said, once introductions have been made, it's like you have been shooting together for years. It all comes down to how you conduct yourself and how others conduct themselves.

I have had a bad experience with one of the shoots I booked, which was down to the safety of my fellow guns.

The majority of the days I've had have all been good, with a few that stand out as exceptional.

Go for it, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Thanks for reply its most encouraging. The day I am looking at is 45 mins away and a VERY good price. Its hard to see a reason not too.