You Can Teach A Old Dog New Tricks.

marsh man

Having enjoyed reading about ditchmans day out on the rape stubble on Saturday , little did I know then I would be using similar tactics associated with his hide .

I was up and about early today and with my wife having some of friends coming round mine at 1pm I had made sure most of my d I y bit and pieces were done well before then . I was done at 12 and after a quick cup of tea and loaded my motor up I was on my way , first stop was the pub to make sure they wanted 40 pigeons this week and then called at the farm to see what else had been cut , to cut a long story short , not much more than what was done last week as it seemed as if it had been raining every other day, all the barley is done and the combine driver was then going to check the moisture reading on the rape , yippeeeeeee.

So some of the old barley stubble it had to be , as there was nothing else to go on , pulling up at one of the fields the first thing I noticed was all the bales were gone but the stubble was still intact , there were only a few pigeons down on the stubble but several going backwards and forwards on other stubbles in the area.

With it being a lovely afternoon and nothing to do I thought I would give two or three hours and try and bring a few in to the decoys , after driving to the other side of the field to have the wind on my back I quickly unloaded my car , having put all the decoys out , which with the shells added up to over 20 and the magnet well to one side with a couple of fresh pigeons I was now ready to put the hide up , the first thing I do is put the chair on some firm ground and the hide go around that .

All good up to now , except I didn't have a chair , in my hurry I had forgot it , there is no way now I could knell or stand for three hours , I could go back to the farm for a 5 gallon can , or whip back home to get my seat , then I thought of ditchmans post where he put a net over the land rover , would this work ? we will soon find out .

I drove my car facing the hedge , lifted my tailgate and used two nets to make a hide and the third one to drape over the back , mainly to keep the sun off rather than to hide the motor .

I wasn't sure if this would work at first as half of my car was still exposed , I needn't had worried as the first pigeon came in without hesitating and was soon put on cradle to join the decoys , if there had been a lot of pigeons about I am sure the improvised hide would have worked a treat as it was , I was getting one now again together with a very good r and l , by around four the sky started to darken up and by 4.45 the first spots of light rain started to fall ,game over , gun in the case and with being in the car the clearing up was a doddle , the nets were back in the motor without moving and then I reversed to the decoys , magnet ,battery and 19 dead pigeons , all stowed away and on my way home in less than 15 minutes .

So could this putting a hide around your motor becomes Normal for Norfolk , no I doubt it :lol:

:good::good: ....had to larf ... :good: ....certainly beats lugging bstteries around and aaalllll that other bloody junk...we really dont need.....perfect it...

tip .....it really helps if you pin one end of the net down and extend the net poles and the lift it all in one go over the car.........

the other is ...the name "disruptive camoflague".......dont lay the net against the shape of the object....stretch it away....so the eye focus's on the net and not thro to the object.....and mix old nets up together............

its just sooo damn easy....well done boi. :good:

Thanks ditchman , I must admit , I had a job of making your land rover out as it was so well concealed , whereas with mine only the back half was covered , although I am not sure if pigeons are bothered with cars and tractors as I have often driven across stubble fields and they didn't lift till the last minute . .

One thing I had to watch out for , I was virtually under a large tree and I do like taking head on shots , and a couple of times I nearly forgot the tailgate was just above me and it would have been easy to left it to late and blew a neat hole near the number plate as I always shoot sitting down :lol:

Done similar myself with my ex German army double cab 1984 VW pickup truck, only all I did was chop some branches off a nearby tree, put them around me in the bed of said truck and parked just under an oak tree. Birds took no notice of it; not scared off at all and yes, saved on hauling loads of kit on my back. Seems the birds are more ready to accept a large machine rather than a single person camo'd up hiding behind a net

Done similar myself with my ex German army double cab 1984 VW pickup truck, only all I did was chop some branches off a nearby tree, put them around me in the bed of said truck and parked just under an oak tree. Birds took no notice of it; not scared off at all and yes, saved on hauling loads of kit on my back. Seems the birds are more ready to accept a large machine rather than a single person camo'd up hiding behind a net

My next motor will be a 4 x 4 of some description , maybe not a ex German 1984 VW pick up truck but I can see the advantages of you having one .

As the ole body is beginning to groan carrying all the paraphernalia backwards and forwards , I would seriously think about doing it again in the right surroundings .

My next motor will be a 4 x 4 of some description , maybe not a ex German 1984 VW pick up truck but I can see the advantages of you having one .

As the ole body is beginning to groan carrying all the paraphernalia backwards and forwards , I would seriously think about doing it again in the right surroundings .

aaahhhhhh...dear oh dear ...the rot has set in.............. :lol::lol::good:

aaahhhhhh...dear oh dear ...the rot has set in.............. :lol::lol::good:

Now look what you have started ditchmam , I bet the pigeon hide wholesalers will soon be selling hides that look like the back of a motor with a net round it , maybe with a 10% discount for o a ps. :yes:

I often decoy pigeons and use an air rifle, great sport and I've used the car as a hide on many occasions. Yes you can dress it up but quite honestly I've had just as much success shooting from the back seat of a bright red Micra parked under a tree! The "land Micra" was a great hide and what a bonus when it decided to rain!