Land Line Problem (Help needed PLEASE )

marsh man

Advice needed please , last week after a heavy storm our land line phone stopped working but the broadband that was connected to the phone as well kept working alright . we renewed the twin connector and bought a new phone but still not working .

Is there anything else I can do , or do I call out B T ?

THANKS

I live in the oldest part of Pinner, just off the old High St. We have endless problems with phones and broadband. My friend's son who is a telecom engineer tells me the wiring is at least 50 years (some could be 70 years old!) and runs to the old telephone exchange which closed down donkeys years ago. From there it was diverted to the new telephone exchange which closed down six years ago and is now diverted to god knows where.

So 70 year old wiring, plus two diverts? all I can say is **** your luck if you were thinking of watching a film on Nexflix tonight! Sometimes it works perfectly but sometimes it just locks up

If you take the front plate off the master socket you'll see a test socket underneath. Plug your phone directly into that and see if it works as it bypasses all internal extensions and wiring. If it works, the fault is in your house somewhere and BT would charge you over £100 to come and sort it. If it doesn't work, then the fault is outside and BT will fix it for free.

If you take the front plate off the master socket you'll see a test socket underneath. Plug your phone directly into that and see if it works as it bypasses all internal extensions and wiring. If it works, the fault is in your house somewhere and BT would charge you over £100 to come and sort it. If it doesn't work, then the fault is outside and BT will fix it for free.

This is right ........ but some older sockets don't have this.

Personal experience with a cable where I had poor phone and broadband especially after rain (it later transpired the insulation had rotted letting water in) was that getting BT to send an engineer to site was really hard. Similar story at my late father's house where again - once the guy came to site he was really helpful.

Once I got a guy to site, he was really helpful and not only completely replaced the cable right back to the pole, but relocated it to a much more convenient route where it doesn't obstruct getting ladders to window clean and for gutter clearing.

Getting the call centre (in India I believe) to send an engineer was really difficult and very frustrating.

This is right ........ but some older sockets don't have this.

Personal experience with a cable where I had poor phone and broadband especially after rain (it later transpired the insulation had rotted letting water in) was that getting BT to send an engineer to site was really hard. Similar story at my late father's house where again - once the guy came to site he was really helpful.

Once I got a guy to site, he was really helpful and not only completely replaced the cable right back to the pole, but relocated it to a much more convenient route where it doesn't obstruct getting ladders to window clean and for gutter clearing.

Getting the call centre (in India I believe) to send an engineer was really difficult and very frustrating.

They are now bringing a lot of the call center back to the uk. From India. I phoned a few weeks ago and spoke to a guy from Liverpool .very helpfull .joking with him i said he was harder to understand .he just laughed .

They are now bringing a lot of the call center back to the uk. From India. I phoned a few weeks ago and spoke to a guy from Liverpool .very helpfull .joking with him i said he was harder to understand .he just laughed .

Yes their UK people are good (in my experience). I have used them (UK) for renewal queries, but last time I had a fault it was still India. It was so poor that I'm not surprised they brought it back.