Buying a Rolex online, how safe is it?

elgreco

Hi everyone, I know we have a few watch enthusiasts out there so would value your input. I have been left a sum of money by my sister who sadly passed away. I would like to buy a Rolex Milgauss with it as a 'gift' from her to me and as something I could pass on to my son when my time comes.

I went to Goldsmiths yesterday and were unwilling to budge on the retail price at all. Looking online at a company called Watchmaster they have a new unworn 2017 on for sale £500 cheaper. Has anyone had dealings with this company?

Any help or advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Tom

Hi everyone, I know we have a few watch enthusiasts out there so would value your input. I have been left a sum of money by my sister who sadly passed away. I would like to buy a Rolex Milgauss with it as a 'gift' from her to me and as something I could pass on to my son when my time comes.

I went to Goldsmiths yesterday and were unwilling to budge on the retail price at all. Looking online at a company called Watchmaster they have a new unworn 2017 on for sale £500 cheaper. Has anyone had dealings with this company?

Any help or advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Tom

No advice from myself but I've just done a quick google and found a few links.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=449579

and

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/watchmaster.com

Not sure if it helps but worth a look!

Aimee @ A1

Don't buy a new watch it's a mugs game.

Pay by credit card and get one from here;

http://www.ilcustodedeltempo.com/orologidilusso/index.php

1, I've been to the shop in Italy and bought - it's legit

2, we're still in the Union so there's no Vat or importation issues

3, they'll take a card so if it goes bent you're covered

4, even with a bad pound/euro they're cheaper than here

I would probably use somewhere like this personally

http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Rolex/Milgauss/watches

Also are you looking new or secondhand? Myself I would look for a second hand one as I think you'd probably never lose any money on it if you search for a good deal and look after it.

Best of luck :)

+1 for Watchfinder.

My last experience was changing my Omega Seamaster to a 2nd hand Planet Ocean they gave me as much as I could of expected selling privately with none of the hassle. I few photos emailed to them and they gave me a price which they stuck too. All their secondhand watches are tested, guaranteed and refurbished to look like new.

Watchfinder are also open to negotiation within reason. Last watch I bought off them I said I wanted to pay no more than £xx and my old watch. A bit of juggling with the new price and the trade-in figure and we reached that price. Wouldn't hesitate buying from then again.

Sorry to leave it so long to reply but unfortunately I'm keeping the wheels of industry turning :-(

I looked at the Italian site Mungler but don't have one on there. I used watchfinder a couple of years ago to buy a second hand Brietling and found the whole process trouble free. I'm just nervous about Watchmaster after reading reviews on google.

Thanks again

Tom

Rolex is probably the most copied watch in the world. Join a Rolex forum where those boys will spot a fake from photos. They will also point you the best place to find the watch you are looking for or you may find they have their own sellers selling used and new.

Watchfinder and Chrono24 are good starting points.

Elgreco I think you need to decide if you want new or used? Unlikely to get any movement on the price in the UK from a Rolex dealer, the price they advertise is usually the price you pay. There are many jewelers in the UK who sell "Grey" imports and they are usually a fair bit cheaper than those sold from an official Rolex dealer. It will be a brand new watch, unworn, boxed and with all the correct paperwork, only difference is you probably won't get a glass of bubbly whislt they unpack it like in a Rolex dealer ;-)

Other option is to purchase second hand, that's when you need to do your homework and make sure the dealer is 100%, Tom Coll has been mentioned in Glasgow and I wouldn't hesitate to buy through them as I have used them in the past. 3rd Option is to take Munglers advice and use a reputable dealer in Europe who may very well be selling cheaper than UK dealers.

Sorry but I have had no dealings with Watchmaster so cannot comment on them. Watchfinder however seem to get a good name, I toyed with selling a Breitling through them but decided to keep it in the end. Good luck with whatever way you go, and the Milgaus is a lovely looking watch in my opinion.

Have a look at Chrono24 website I've used a few times for buying and selling luxury watches.

Hi looked on chrono24 this morning and found a jan2017 watch mint and unworn just down the road from me at the Metrocentre. I called in and put a deposit on it and will pick it up tomorrow. Saved £500 off Northern Goldsmith's price.

Hopefully I got a bargain if not I'm happy with my purchase anyway.

Thank you to all for your input

Tom