Sick leave.

lister1

Hello all. At my place of employment we're not paid sick leave. I'm currently sat at my desk felling like I've got flu or a bad virus at least.

Now my colleagues are a bit off with me as they don't want to get I'll but as I have bills to pay, especially whilst my better half is on maternity leave so her pay is very much reduced.

The question being, do I have a few days off in paid or stick it out at work?

Edited by lister1

My own experience when a company pays sick leave at full pay is the chances take every chance they can to have a day off, or call in sick and go golfing (heard people brag about stuff like this) whilst the hard working people often come in regardless of a sniffle of a headache and get on with it.

Also in my experience the ones who get on with it tend to be doing better overall, whilst the shirkers complain about being hard done by or blame the world for their problems! Funny that!

If I had my own company all sick pay would be 'at your managers discretion', as the wasters have ruined it for the genuine folk yet again!

I certainly understand why they don't pay sick leave.

I'm not going to take holidays whilst I feel ill.

I'll stick it out and get some work done, it's interesting to hear others opinions.

Unfortunately as you say it's the few ruining things for the greater.

Edited by lister1

My own experience when a company pays sick leave at full pay is the chances take every chance they can to have a day off, or call in sick and go golfing (heard people brag about stuff like this) whilst the hard working people often come in regardless of a sniffle of a headache and get on with it.

Also in my experience the ones who get on with it tend to be doing better overall, whilst the shirkers complain about being hard done by or blame the world for their problems! Funny that!

If I had my own company all sick pay would be 'at your managers discretion', as the wasters have ruined it for the genuine folk yet again!

This is very true. Most companies are going down the route of not (officially at least) paying company sick pay at all, just SSP for those who qualify.

One employer I know does pay a week's company sick pay but if you don't take it in a year, you get an equivalent bonus in January. A policy not without its flaws I'll admit, but I can see why they do it.

We pay sick pay but it's monitored strongly. So in 12 months rolling period after the 4th instance disciplinary action kicks in with warnings. After the 6th instance you can get sacked with notice for it.

Long term sick is also heavily managed with occupational Heath referrals.

It works well for us as you get sick pay if you really needed but if your a constant Monday morning sicky type it catches up quickly.

Personally I think employers should pay sick leave but clamp down on people talking the ****.

How?

People want more money .

Customers want to pay less.

It's not possible.

I have 3 lads employed and they don't have time off but if they do I let them use holidays as sick.

They don't have too but at least they're paid then

How?

People want more money .

Customers want to pay less.

It's not possible.

I have 3 lads employed and they don't have time off but if they do I let them use holidays as sick.

They don't have too but at least they're paid then

Then why bother employing them at all? Why not take them on as contractors? What's in it for them?

Incidentally, sickness and holiday are seen as two different things in the eyes of the law and in fact if someone can prove they were sick whilst on holiday (and provided they follow all the set company procedures) they can 'convert' the holiday to sickness and then take the holiday at a later date.

the company I have worked for for 12 years does not pay any of us sick pay either and I will drag myself in and infect everyone if it means I get paid I do know where you are coming from but if you need the money stay if you don't take time off don't let your co workers dictate what you do only you have that right

Where I work has two different contracts, some long standing employees get full sick pay, newer employees dont. The ones who get sick pay are off at the drop of a hat for an average of 23 days per year. The ones who don't get sick pay average 4 days per year. That says it all. Personally I work unless I'm dying, no point in going sick unless I'm well enough to enjoy myself.

It's certainly an interesting subject. My previous employment was full pay for six months for long term sickness. I often heard of people lazing on a beach recovering.

Needless to say I'll be at work, I hope I don't infect anyone. There is one chap already putting on a cough. I bet he phones in sick Friday or Monday. He has no kids and lives alone. Just saying.

To be honest I incorrectly assumed that all companies paid sick leave to employees. Every company I worked for has paid it and every company I am aware of (until now) pays it so surprised that there seem to be many that don't. Which begs the question as to why companies do pay it? Typically companies only do things that they legally have to do or that benefit them financially. So those that do pay it must feel that it benefits them in some way. Which is what? Discuss.

To be honest I incorrectly assumed that all companies paid sick leave to employees. Every company I worked for has paid it and every company I am aware of (until now) pays it so surprised that there seem to be many that don't. Which begs the question as to why companies do pay it? Typically companies only do things that they legally have to do or that benefit them financially. So those that do pay it must feel that it benefits them in some way. Which is what? Discuss.

It's a perk I suppose, but only taken advantage by malingering 'people'.

The thought of if I fell sick, I know I'm on full pay for a year, and half pay for two years is reassuring.

I've always had full sick pay, but as has been said, occupational health step in very quickly to assess, this is purely from people taking the ****.

I don't agree with the 'you've had this amount of time sick, so you're sacked', some people genuinely get ill.

I've worked for major universities for 20 years and have been treated amazingly, but show a sickness profile and you are soon seen by a university doctor to assess you.

Very difficult for small businesses though.

It's a perk I suppose, but only taken advantage by malingering 'people'.

The thought of if I fell sick, I know I'm on full pay for a year, and half pay for two years is reassuring.

I've always had full sick pay, but as has been said, occupational health step in very quickly to assess, this is purely from people taking the ****.

I don't agree with the 'you've had this amount of time sick, so you're sacked', some people genuinely get ill.

I've worked for major universities for 20 years and have been treated amazingly, but show a sickness profile and you are soon seen by a university doctor to assess you.

Very difficult for small businesses though.

But they don't offer sick pay out of the goodness of their heart (the companies I worked for never had one!). They offer it and other 'perks' in order to attract better quality staff. If they didn't then the staff would work for an employer who did. My last employer used to give you an annual 'Compensation Statement' detailing your salary, bonus and the value of the various 'perks' that you got such as pension, death in service cover, health insurance, sick pay etc. It was a way of showing staff that they got 'paid' more than just their salary.