Lead work

I always teach my spaniels to walk on the lead in a mannerly way from an early age - as soon as they can get out after vaccinations, I don't want lab obedience style heel work but I do want them to learn pulling my arm off isn't acceptable.

• 2 weeks later...

Same if I had my time again I would train my spaniel from day one it's definitely been harder leaving it later

Indeed, I made the mistake of accepting it and told myself all spaniels pull. Then I got pulled around whilst beating during enforced lead time and decided to get it sorted. It took a lot of time and patience and its not totally reliable as yet, she still occasionally pulls if she is in a new area and excited but its probably 80% proofed.

Edited by ips

I think the old saying of teaching a spaniel to hunt 1st before lead work harks back to the past and the old fashioned ways of training/breaking dogs.

Many old spaniel trainers would get it hunting hard 1st as they believed the heel work would damage the dogs drive, and to be fair they were probably right as in those days it was before all the positive methods now commonly used, o a dog would be battered until it walked to heel which

I would get it walking on a lead as soon as possible as then they never know to pull, it just makes ur whole life so much easier even away from the shooting field when u have a dog that will walk to heel and sit on/off lead.

I think the old saying of teaching a spaniel to hunt 1st before lead work harks back to the past and the old fashioned ways of training/breaking dogs.

Many old spaniel trainers would get it hunting hard 1st as they believed the heel work would damage the dogs drive, and to be fair they were probably right as in those days it was before all the positive methods now commonly used, o a dog would be battered until it walked to heel which

I would get it walking on a lead as soon as possible as then they never know to pull, it just makes ur whole life so much easier even away from the shooting field when u have a dog that will walk to heel and sit on/off lead.

Exactly, once the pulling is an established behaviour its a devil of a job. I know as I made the mistake.