To shoot or not to shoot

Royboy

Hello, I've been watching a field build with pigeons for the last week but it's s strange field to shoot, the road runs along side it and s footpath the other.

In the picture the footpath is below my red circle. I know it's hard to judge but would you shoot this field ?

Ignore the red dots

Cheers

E1605087-0E9D-4273-ADFB-CB3E4670E02E_zps

ADFAFE81-7CB9-4564-B0D0-DF8555454C0B_zps

Edited by Royboy

Can you shoot safely from the roadside and away from the footpath?

I could do I suppose but there tends to be a lot of walkers around there so they would be walking past me a lot on the road,

In the past I've shot for the bottom left corner of the wood and set my decoys up towards the hedge to the right of the picture

Without the fields dimensions its more difficult to comment, but I would look at shooting from the wooded area at the top of the picture down the field toward the footpath (if thats the grey line under the red circle), .

It appears you can see both ends of the footpath clearly and you can stop shooting if someone is on the footpath.

Without the fields dimensions its more difficult to comment, but I would look at shooting from the wooded area at the top of the picture down the field toward the footpath (if thats the grey line under the red circle), .

It appears you can see both ends of the footpath clearly and you can stop shooting if someone is on the footpath.

Yes that right that's the footpath, not many people use that to be honest but they use the road for walking to get to the canal, weather says it's going to pee it down now all day, I'll go anyway because it's the only day I'm free

When I find myself feeling uncomfortable about the safety of a shooting set up I invariably shoot badly & end up moving on anyway? Unless there's serious numbers or the farmer is anxious about the crop it might be worth looking further afield?(But I'm quite nervous about things generally).

I have shot fields in similar circumstances. I don't mind firing towards/over footpaths, as long as they are clear of people at that time. Shooting towards a road is also not an issue if you have enough distance in between.

I shoot in some tricky areas which on a weekend have a fair few people using the paths .

I make sure I always have 250 yds fall out as thats my pellet max range .I never set up with my back to a road or path not unless I'm 100 yds away from it .as if you cause distress to a road user you are liable

Even if shooting away from it .

I always use a hush power to keep the niegbours happy .

Personally i feel that field is too small .

The only way is like u said shoot from the corner near the wood .and be very careful not to shoot over the raod

I've got here and it's lashing it down, there was about 6 birds down on the field so I've gone to another where there was about 50 on the field, I'll sit here and watch for a while but there's nothing in the sky with this rain 👎🏽

Yes that true .50 ft from centre of road .

But the law also states not to cause distress or disruption to road users .

I can see how a person on a bike or horse could swerve into on coming traffic at the sound of a shot .

And in this case you would definately be culpable even if further away than 50 ft .

Like a said I personally like 100 yds from a road.

I had someone hollering into my field the other week .after one one shot .she was on a foot path 100+ yds behind me as i took a shot away from her with my hush and the wind blowing from her to me .

She couldn't see me in my hide but she yelled about the innocent animals for a couple of minutes.

One important aspects is where will the shot likely fall? Falling shot causes more trouble than the actual sound of gun fire.

The answer to your question is "Yes". I shoot ground with footpaths running in all directions, not that any walkers take notice. I am just very careful of fall of shot.

Just because the footpath is marked and sprayed doesn't mean some "Libtard" isn't going to walk "where he/she wants to". Was sat waiting for some munties to show the other day at least 400yrds away from the well marked footpath when two of the aforementioned in their flip flops came strolling through like they owned the place.

Remember the 50ft law which is to the centre of any highway and only comes into force if the shooting causes alarm to another person or words to that effect.

Yes!! Go and have some fun.

To tell yer the truth , if there was any fear of endangering the public , horses or by being to near houses or roads I would then leave well alone , weather legally you are right or wrong , the last thing I want when I am shooting is people moaning about shot falling , noise and at worse the old bill turning up , all hassle I can do without .

If you are in any doubt , don't bother .