V8 gasket gone.

NatureBoy

One of my shooting trucks is a series 2 Disco 4L V8 with gas conversion. It's head gasket blew the other day and garage recon £1000,00 plus to fix. Said because of age and value it really not worth doing, It's still in fairly good nick done 150,000 mls and i would like to keep it going without this expense. Folk have suggested i try using a product called liquid steel? in the system to try and seal it. Has anyone tried this with any success or can recommend another product or solution?

NB

hello, www.steelseal.co.uk, check out the reviews, if you have not driven your disco since it could be worth a go, i have used liquid ptfe in an old maxi, always use red ex, we have products for engine water systems leaking, and i have just used a engine oil stop leak product on my sons mariva and that worked, anyway if it was me i would give it a go.good luck

do you just use it on shoots or many road miles??..had an old landy v8 just for off road/shooting for years......it was fine just keep water topped up.......if used for trips/on road it will let go at some point whatever 'gunk' you chuck in to it......

used it in my mates old R reg 2.5td Cherokee worked for a good few months with daily use of around 30 miles until the bearing in the water pump seized and he cooked it again

steelseal you,ll need a couple of bottles though as 1 is only recommended for up to 2ltr

I would give it go as if you use it and follow ALL the recommendation on the bottles and it does not work you get your money back

Edited by hodge911

One of my shooting trucks is a series 2 Disco 4L V8 with gas conversion. It's head gasket blew the other day and garage recon £1000,00 plus to fix. Said because of age and value it really not worth doing, It's still in fairly good nick done 150,000 mls and i would like to keep it going without this expense. Folk have suggested i try using a product called liquid steel? in the system to try and seal it. Has anyone tried this with any success or can recommend another product or solution?

NB

If the chassis is good and not rusted I would just get it fixed as if you buy another who knows what could go wrong people tend to sell older cars/trucks when they think something is going to go wrong shortly.

Steelseal is amazing stuff. I used it in an old ford tractor engine that had a rusted hole in the water jacket. The water would drain completely into the sump in 10 minutes so a fair size hole. Two bottles of steelseal and its still going 3 years later. And since then I have replaced the water pump and just refilled with normal water antifreeze mix and still no leaks.

Seems a lot of money to take a head off, check for flat and even have the head skimmed to me. Had two second hand heads skimmed, new valves and springs and fitted for less, far less. Personally I would have the work done but go shop around for a better price. Quick fixes are useful and used many in my years of rallying, but eventually they will go again. If your running on LPG, then suggest you put a couple of gallons of the expensive stuff through the engine about every three months just to keep the valves/stems lubricated as LPG runs very dry and carbon free.

Thank for all your interest help and info folks. Been busy with work and chasing pigeons on the stubble's. Going to try steelseal to keep it going as don't do many miles with it and mainly local. Only started using it for shooting recently after my Chevy truck failed MOT. People recon it in to good condition for shooting truck. It an LS 7 seatr with up grades. Parking sensors, lights, DVD player, wireless head phones and screens in back of seats etc. Surprised that a few people lately have shown interest in it and buying it before gasket went. So are the ol series 2 V8s in demand at mo? I picked it up 4 years ago because it was real cheap, i liked how it handled, the rumbling V8 sound and novelty of gas powered motor. A lot of truck for ya buck! Personal plate included, Had been thinking of keeping it and doing it up thro the winter. Sorting and sealing chassi etc.

NB

All the quick fixes are rubbish.

Let's put some thought into this.... compression and then the resulting pressure from ignition of petrol or gas and air mix verses a product that is added to the coolant system to hold back that pressure..... No, absolutely no way, not physically possible.

If however your problem is not a head gasket but rather a cooled inlet manifold leaking into a cylinder then yes these products could work.

Block test first (it's a blue liquid that changes colour in the presence of combustion gas), if that shows a failing head gasket then just do both, buy a Haynes manual, it's really not that hard a job.