One for the gym goers

djrwood

Good morning.

I'm finally getting motivated and have been getting my fat backside up the gym in the morning before work. Been going four - five times a week, exercising chest and tris one day, back and biceps the next and then shoulders and legs. Usually throw in a few ab exercises at the end to keep on with them.

I'm thinking about doing the same above but having cardio days in between and the weekend to rest.

My main question is regarding supplements and whether they are worth taking. I'm in the gym first thing after waking up, so therefore have an empty stomach. I have been taking My Protein Thermopure capsules on gym days, which do give a little energy boost. Do you reccomend anything else or in lieu? What are these lean muscle protein shakes like and are they worth taking?

A bit about me and my target, I'm 5'10" and 15 st, a little bit naturally stocky around shoulders and chest. All my fat is on my belly! My aim is not to get big, just get stronger, fitter and trim up the fat a bit.

My Achilles is my diet. I've cut out the sugary drinks and sweets mostly however I'm not the sort of guy who will eat fish and rice or pasta. I do love chicken and steak and bread and accept this will prevent or at least slow my progress

Any help would be appreciated

Most supplements are there to help you lose money not weight or gain muscle.

If you know about nutrition you will know most foods are made up of macro and micronutrients. Macros are protein, fats and carbs whilst micros are the vitamins and mineransl etc.

1) do you want to lose or gain weight? This is determined by your kcal intake.

2) your body composition will be determined by your muscle mass/body fat etc, in order to have a good body composition you need enough protein and fats, whilst normally filling the rest with carbs.

3) despite what people tell you you can't gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. You can get stronger tho if your very new to the game.

I would suggest you set a goal (lose or gain weight etc) and use something my Myfitnesspal to track what your eating if you want to.

I'd set your protein goal at around 0.8gX your body weight per lb, so just under 170g if your 15st, go for approx 70g fat and the rest carbs.

There any many calculators online for working out how many kcals you should be eating.

Regarding training, if your a beginner you might want to look up a beginners routine. Those splits you get off bodybuolders are used by people who've been training 10+ years, and have amazingly enhanced recovery (chemically enhanced). You would likely see better advancement with a programme that's designed for beginners.

There's Starting Strength, Strong Lift 5x5, Westside for skinny bar-stds, All pro's novice programme, to name just a few.

Good luck :)

Also look up "if it fits your macros" or "flexible dieting". I'll link an article at the bottom.

All this can't eat bread or steak stuff is noncence. It's eating too many calories overall that makes people fat.

Lots of people are more aware than ever on nutrition and use the above method, it's good to get a balanced diet so your getting micro nutrients etc but you can fit in steak, cake, pizza etc as long as your within your protein/fats and carbs roughly you'll still progress.

http://traineatgain.com/flexible-dieting-eliminate-fat-gain/

Everyone one is different in terms of recovery etc. If you are just starting I'd drop the weights to 3 times per week at add 2 light cardio sessions in. If you are after strength, I had good success with Wendler 531. Don't try and do too much too soon though that's where injuries happen.

If you are just after losing weight I'd drop the weights to 2 times per week and increase the cardio, to 3/4. The weights used to build core and muscle strength to stabilise joints etc.

As for supplements. I might get shot down for this but I wouldn't waste your money. If you eat a reasonably balanced diet then just exercise. If you start to plateau in either weight training or running then start to tailor your diet more closely. If your sole purpose is to lose a but of chub and get fitter supplements are unnecessary at your current level. Build a base to work from first then think about the supplements.

Just my opinion of course, but I managed a 1:30 half marathon on nothing more than an extra snickers post run and a little extra fish/meal with my meals.

Don't bother with all the supplements and stuff. If you want to lose belly fat go for a run or fast walk. Weights convert fat to muscle, but if you want to get your washboard stomach, go pound the streets. Spend some money on good shoes so you don't kill your knees and try to run on grass or soft ground to lessen the impact.

Interesting. As some of you may have read, I have decided to try to shift the fat from my around my middle, and am parked up outside the running shop in MK right now!

OP, if you are already motivated enough to get down the gym most days, then you are already onto a winner.

Eat a smaller, but still balanced, diet & burn more calories. Massage and sauna to encourage blood circulation in your lardy bits will help, as will lots of water and plenty of good sleep.

I'm not sure that filling myself with canapés and free booze last night was quite the most balanced meal I could have eaten BUT at least I had the willpower to avoid the kebab shop on the way home!!

Incidentally, the kofte wrap from Phoenica on Queensway is absolutely the best kebab in London :drool: so this took some doing :lol:

Best of luck.

LS

My routine up until about a year ago

Eat nothing after 18:30

Up 4:30

Creatine

Gym 0500 - 0630, weights, mixture of bars, dumbells, alternating days chest arms shoulders, back legs shoulders

Protein immediately after training

Brunch 1100

Tea 1730

Hard routine, difficult to maintain but enjoyed it, used to buy 30" waist jeans, 50" chest tops, current 34" jeans, 46" tops

Rotator cuff injury then changing jobs has slowed me down and total lack of discipline with food! about to start same routine again obviously smaller weight and building up. It can take over your life and become expense with supplements especially protein that isn't full of sugar and ****. Cutting down or eliminating drinking is often a quick winner for people but I don't drink. The hardest part is your diet and being strict with yourself constantly

What do you really want from going to the gym?

If it is to tone down and lose the tummy then walking will do you more good than anything else.

Forget the supplements unless a GP or nutritionist advises you otherwise.

Once the tummy is down to a better size then add the tummy exercises that will help you define your muscle shape and tone.

Unless you need to build upper strength and size for your work - then just aim to tone your physique. otherwise you can end up binding muscle groups and joints which is not good.

I'd advise you to eat some form of breakfast but not bulking agents or supplements, Basic cereal (Weighed amounts to keep a good routine) and a bit of

fruit is easy enough to provide energy for your gym session and before work and not make you feel bagged up and unable to exercise.

Whatever you decide I wish you all good luck and success in your aims :good::good::good:

Pushkin :ninja:

You haven't said how old you are as you should also take that into consideration when planning your workout. Also understand your body type

1. Ectomorph: Lean and long, with difficulty building muscle.
  2. Endomorph: Big, high body fat, often pear-shaped, with a high tendency to store body fat.
  3. Mesomorph: Muscular and well-built, with a high metabolism and responsive muscle cells.

Understanding your body type will help define your diet and exercise. Control your eating, improve what you eat, when you eat and weigh portions, you will be shocked how much we over eat. 2500 calories recommended a day is guidance not the rule. Depends how active you are and what your metabolism is like. I am your height, 45 and about 14 stone. I do use BCAA's supplements in a daily drink and find this massively helps me with recovery. I get a lot less aches and even when I do they are gone alot quicker.

There was recently a trial aired on TV and a gym goer stopped taking all his supplements and used food instead and he actually gained muscle mass. Alot take supplements simply because they are too lazy to eat right.

Edited by SirDread

the only advice i can give when it comes to training is dont lift with your ego!!! i see so many people lifting to heavy and not keeping good form which will lead to injuries and loss of motivation.

Also keep it fresh by changing the exercises you do and the reps to set ratio this keeps your muscles growing and you interested. ie - for 6 weeks do 5 sets of 5 reps for strength then have a week off and do 6 weeks of high reps (20) low weight and just keep correct form (really important imho). then you could mix it up again with super sets where you do two different exercises after one another (same muscle group)

but most importantly enjoy yourself and remember results will come if you put the effort in. Good luck

All I know is it's mostly all down to diet.

Check out how much hidden sugars are in things, cut these down as well as booze.

Nothing wrong with a protein shake and creatine. I think a lot of other things are hocus pocus.

Myprotein instant oats is a nice start to the day as I'm up so early I don't really want to eat first thing, blend up with fully skimmed milk and a banana.

Never understood the whole supplement thing, if your going to the gym for yourself to get fit why pump your body full of unnatural levels of things as it's just cheating in my opinion and when you stop for whatever reason the change in your body will be a lot more dramatic than if you done it properly in the first place.

I have quite a few mates who were into the gym and all the supplements and looked pretty good and could lift a hell of a lot more than I could but give them a spade to dig a hole or ask them to move breeze blocks or something they would be knackered in about 10 minutes!

Never understood the whole supplement thing, if your going to the gym for yourself to get fit why pump your body full of unnatural levels of things as it's just cheating in my opinion and when you stop for whatever reason the change in your body will be a lot more dramatic than if you done it properly in the first place.

I have quite a few mates who were into the gym and all the supplements and looked pretty good and could lift a hell of a lot more than I could but give them a spade to dig a hole or ask them to move breeze blocks or something they would be knackered in about 10 minutes!

Whey protein is just a by product of making milk, not different than having a bit of chicken!

Your body can only utilise a maximum level too so if you don't use correctly it's expensive waste!

0.8-1g per lb of bodyweight is a decent amount, depending on how lean you are. Don't believe that you can only use 30g stuff. Your body will use what you eat. Just no point going loads over 1g per lb.

Will it not depend wot the OP is actually wanting?

If it is just weight loss and to get a bit fitter I'd say supplements are a waste of time, are most not for bulking up?

Is there not supplements like ketones or anti oxidents that might be more benefical than ur traditional weight training supplements

Even ur training regime will be very different to someone trying to bulk up.

Not saying don't do the different weight lifting sets as more muscle will increase ur metabolism. Just ur sets/rep numbers will be different.

I know when I was younger I struggled to shift weight despite doing a lot of weights and I just bulked up below the flab and looked fatter (but I was drinking quite heavily/socially at the time)

But I'd say cardio will be equally important, if not more so. Nowadays a lot of trainers advocating H.I.T training (which is basically a new word for far tlek which someone mentioned earlier)

They're was even some studies which reckoned doing 3 or 5 sets of 30-40secs completely flat out (after a warm up) 3 times a week was actually better (VOx, blood sugar, weight loss and general fitness) than doing a 1 hour workout 3 times a week