Family battle bus

arm3000gt

What would the PW collective recommend for a general purpose do everything family battle bus. It would need to be able to tow a horse box. have decent enough space inside for moving me, wife, dog, baby (push chair etc) and granny on occasion in comfort. Be able to traverse a roughish farm track twice a day. Prefer automatic. Comfortable for longer journeys (240miles) Be reasonably reliable and ok for DIY mechanic to service, brakes etc. Mid 20s mpg would be fine. Gadgets wise I would like radio, air-con and cruise control anything else a bonus. Budget approx £3000.

So far I've come up with Toyota Colorado (late 90s), Mitsubishi Shogun, new shape Nissan Navara, Nissan Pathfinder (but I'd be buying at bottom of market so risks there, inc chassis issues, timing chain etc). There is also Mitsubishi Outlander 2008 model but not as spacious as the rest being a smaller vehicle. Subaru Forester same issues as outlander and reduced towing weight.

Current transport is 2010 Octavia estate,2003 Skoda Octavia and 97 V70 T5. All do ok but don't really cope with all of the above well.

Any thoughts?

I got her that shall be obeyed a 2007 on a 57 Toyota Land cruiser 4 a 3 litre D4D auto 93K miles. had it 18 months was just under 5 grand after auction fees tows the horse box looks good drives better i can not fault this car have a look at them see what you think.

Edited by lancer425

Just looked at these after posting, looks to be a contender I thought they'd be much more expensive.

Can't stretch to £5000 budget is fixed around £3000.

I drove one the other day and was pleasantly surprised. Very stable, pulled well with the auto box and so so comfy!!

Not so sure about the out and out off road capibility but for what you want this ticks all the boxes

I'll certainly look into the XC90. Didn't really consider them before, owner reviews seem promising.

Just something that can handle ruts, deep pot holes and wet field better than an estate. No real need for Defender levels of off road ability.

Anyone owned a XC90 and Colorado? How do they compare comfort etc.

What would the PW collective recommend for a general purpose do everything family battle bus. It would need to be able to tow a horse box. have decent enough space inside for moving me, wife, dog, baby (push chair etc) and granny on occasion in comfort. Be able to traverse a roughish farm track twice a day. Prefer automatic. Comfortable for longer journeys (240miles) Be reasonably reliable and ok for DIY mechanic to service, brakes etc. Mid 20s mpg would be fine. Gadgets wise I would like radio, air-con and cruise control anything else a bonus. Budget approx £3000.

So far I've come up with Toyota Colorado (late 90s), Mitsubishi Shogun, new shape Nissan Navara, Nissan Pathfinder (but I'd be buying at bottom of market so risks there, inc chassis issues, timing chain etc). There is also Mitsubishi Outlander 2008 model but not as spacious as the rest being a smaller vehicle. Subaru Forester same issues as outlander and reduced towing weight.

Current transport is 2010 Octavia estate,2003 Skoda Octavia and 97 V70 T5. All do ok but don't really cope with all of the above well.

Any thoughts?

well worth looking at the Jeep Grand Cherokee you get a lot of car for your money and not having a separate chassis rust is not so much of a problem.

Thanks for all the replies. I seem to have expanded my possibilities rather than narrow. There is plenty to consider. Just got to get the Volvo and older Skoda through MOT at the end of September and I'll start hunting. I hadn't realised how many 4x4 type vehicles there were on the market and how affordable some had become.

Defender in any guise is too expensive and far to noisy/agricultural for what I want.

I'd not considered the Terrano range so I'll add that.

Edited by arm3000gt

As already said- check tax costs.

They want £500 a year for some of them- hence why theres loads about at really tempting prices.

It was about the mid 2005 that the road tax went a bit mad my jeep is a 2007 and the road tax on this is £500 if I had got exactly the same one made in 2005 it would have been £300 or less so I am paying over £200 for nothing except two years less time to go rusty. :unhappy: :unhappy:

It was about the mid 2005 that the road tax went a bit mad my jeep is a 2007 and the road tax on this is £500 if I had got exactly the same one made in 2005 it would have been £300 or less so I am paying over £200 for nothing except two years less time to go rusty. :unhappy: :unhappy:

Exactly - when looking for a replacememt Xtrail earlier this year they wanted £500 a year for a 2006 2.0 petrol auto, where our old 2004 2.5 petrol was under £300.....

Picked up a 2.0 petrol turbo with on demand four wheel drive in the end- think thats about £260.

Edited by Me matt

As already said- check tax costs.

They want £500 a year for some of them- hence why theres loads about at really tempting prices.

My budget generally doesn't go beyond a 2004/5 model in anything so shouldn't be an issue. I'd also be probably get rid of a car so what I'd save in insurance, car tax MOT etc would cover the extra road tax. It will be something I'll consider though. It is ridiculous the same model registered 6 months apart can cost significantly more in road tax. Something we all have to suck up and take unfortunately.

The Volvo XC90 is a nice car to drive and will cope well with what your wanting it for. Drives more car like than typical 4x4, I have recently bought one and enjoy driving it. Averaging 31-32 mpg got 39.2 on run back from Norfolk.